Oxford Welsh learners group

Helo bawb - it’s the last week in October and the usual pattern of meetups.
If the schedule makes it difficult for you to join us, do please let us know (via PM if you prefer) - we’re always ready to consider changes so that more can join us, but we need to know what works for you :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 26th October / dydd Mawrth 26eg Hydref (via Zoom - do say if you’d like to join us but don’t yet have the login details)
  • 12:00 Friday 29th October/ dydd Gwener 29ain Hydref (Outside tables at Slug & Lettuce/ Yr Wlithen a Letysen at entrance to the Castle Quarter)

We found it quite pleasant outside the S&L on Friday sitting in the sun :sunny: - hopefully it’ll be the same this week, but if not :cloud_with_rain: there are plenty of :parasol_on_ground: :parasol_on_ground: :parasol_on_ground: :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff

1 Like

I have an eye test in Abingdon on Friday so I can’t come. Sorry.
Sue

1 Like

Anyone joining me at the Slug & Lettuce this lunchtime? :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, doesn’t look as if there is :slightly_frowning_face:, so I’ll join the parallel Zoom session instead :slightly_smiling_face:

Helo bawb - first week in November now but we’re sticking with the usual meetup pattern for now. However it may be possible to arrange ad hoc meetups via Zoom or in person if people would like - just :postbox:post a message here (or a PM) if that appeals :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 2nd November / dydd Mawrth 2ed Tachwedd (via Zoom - do say if you’d like to join us but don’t yet have the login details)
  • 12:00 :sparkler: Friday 5th November :sparkler: / dydd Gwener 5ed Tachwedd (Outside tables at Slug & Lettuce/ Yr Wlithen a Letysen at entrance to the Castle Quarter … and :sun_behind_large_cloud: sunny intervals :sun_behind_large_cloud: are forecast for Friday! :crossed_fingers: )

Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

Quick reminder about today’s lunchtime S&L meetup - forecast suggests this morning’s sunshine will have gone by then and it may be a bit chilly so don’t forget to wrap up warm :slightly_smiling_face:

Helo bawb - as we slide further into November and the temperature drops we’ll need to start thinking about choosing an inside venue for our meetups in person - suggestions welcome :slightly_smiling_face: For now, though, as last week it’ll be:

• 12:00 Tuesday 9th November / dydd Mawrth 9ed Tachwedd (via Zoom - do say if you’d like to join us but don’t yet have the login details)
  • 12:00 Friday 12th November / dydd Gwener 12eg Tachwedd (Slug & Lettuce/ Yr Wlithen a Letysen outside tables near the entrance to the Castle Quarter )

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo bawb - with colder weather and with the table umbrellas no longer in use at the Slug & Lettuce and the leaves covering the patio providing less shelter from the rain, let’s try a change to an indoor venue for this Friday’s meetup, i.e. to the New Bodleian Library Cafe in Broad Street where we’ve had meetups in the past in pre-Covid days:

• 12:00 Tuesday 16th November / dydd Mawrth 16eg Tachwedd (via Zoom - let me know if you’d like to join us but don’t yet have the login details)
  • 12:00 Friday 19th November / dydd Gwener 19eg Tachwedd (this week in the New Bodleian Library Cafe, Broad Street)

Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

1 Like

Good decision. I hope to be there.
Sue

1 Like

I am so sorry I missed Tuesday and won’t be able to do this Friday either. Also, did you see that Ryan Reynolds’ new film, ‘Red Notice’ on Netflix has Welsh subtitles. You probably know he is now co-owner of Wrexham AFC :grinning:

2 Likes

Good for him! :slightly_smiling_face: Confess though until he, and … umm … the other guy, bought Wrexham AFC I’d never heard of either of them! (Memo to self: must get out more :roll_eyes: )

1 Like

I watched this with the subtitles. I was so chuffed how much I understood. If you liked Indiana Jones this may appeal. It has silly elements but all Ryan Reynolds films do and it’s great escapism.

Ps. I can’t remember who the other guy is either :rofl:

2 Likes

Helo bawb - we were in Broad Street’s New Bodleian Library Cafe for Friday’s meetup which worked very well and with lots of free tables it was far from crowded, so we’ll stick with that for our Friday meetup this week as well:

• 12:00 Tuesday 23rd November / dydd Mawrth 23ain Tachwedd (via Zoom - let me know if you’d like to join us but don’t yet have the login details)
  • 12:00 Friday 26th November / dydd Gwener 26ain Tachwedd (again in the New Bodleian Library Cafe, Broad Street)

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

I’ve just had informal confirmation from the Caplan of Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym that the Welsh-language carol service will be going ahead next week, in person, in Jesus College Chapel. Learners welcome!

It’s been announced for 5 p.m. on Monday 29 November and I’ll update you as and when I get any more details.

3 Likes

Facebook event for the Welsh carol service. Agored i bawb = Open to everyone!

https://www.facebook.com/events/577282773539410/

(You can see the details without a Facebook account.)

1 Like

Helo bawb - with the last few days of November bringing the opportunity to attend the Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym Welsh language carol service in Jesus College chapel tomorrow (Monday) and, of course, with our Cinio Nadolig on Friday the pattern for this week looks a little different:

• 5pm Monday 29 November / dydd Llun 29ain Tachwedd Jesus College Chapel Welsh Carol Service / Gwasanaeth Carolau Coleg Yr Iesu (see Owen’s post above)

• 12:00 Tuesday 30th November / dydd Mawrth 30ain Tachwedd (via Zoom - let me know if you’d like to join us but don’t yet have the login details)

Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

1 Like

Alas, I am suffering with a cold and won’t be attending the Welsh carol service after all. The porters are still expecting to welcome visitors, so I hope you will be able to make it!

1 Like

Helo bawb - after last week’s Gwasanaeth Carolau in Jesus College and Friday’s Cinio Nadolig, it’s back to the usual pattern of meetups this week:

• 12:00 Tuesday 7th December / dydd Mawrth 7ed Rhagfyr (via Zoom - let me know if you’d like to join us but don’t yet have the login details)
  • 12:00 Friday 10th December / dydd Gwener 10ed Rhagfyr (New Bodleian Library Cafe, Broad Street)

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

CHANGE OF PLAN!

As there’s a big spike in Covid cases in Oxford :slightly_frowning_face: (but on the plus side it’ll be a sunny day :sunny::slightly_smiling_face:) instead of the New Bodleian Library cafe, this Friday we’ll be meeting up in the open air outside the Castle Quarter’s Slug & Lettuce, i.e. where we’d been meeting up in the autumn.
Hwyl a chadw’n saff!
John

2 Likes