On the slippery slope

Noswaith dda.

I’ve just started a 10 day bobsled run
I only on the 2nd lesson, so still tongue tied at times.

I have a particular drive to learn Welsh, as I am going to Patagonia at the end of April and want to be able to talk to and understand other Welsh speakers.

Cathy

3 Likes

Best of luck to you Cathy. You’re going to have a great time! :smile:

Waw, ti’n lwcus iawn Cathy! Dyna beth gwych i anelu amdani!

Wow, your very lucky Cathy. That’s a great thing to aim for!

Hwyl,

Stu

That’s a brilliant goal, and an excellent start to achieving it, Cathy!

4 months is not a long time to learn a language, so the harder you throw yourself into it now, the more you will get out of it by the end of April. But please note - I’ve not said to work hard! Play hard, do the challenges even if they seem a bit tough at first, and have a lot of fun. Come here and share your fun and your frustrations - there’s a lot of other people who’ve had both, so you’ll have a sympathetic ear, and a trolley load of practical advice.

Most of all, see every step you take in your Welsh learning experience as a positive. Every lesson under your belt will add a massive amount to your enjoyment of Patagonia, and the conpany of your fellow travellers. Have a ball!

I don’t know if I should mention at this point that I am horribly jealous of you as well! There, I’ve said it!

1 Like

Snap!..:wink:

1 Like

Day 3: plenty of moments of **** what was that word/what was the second part of the phrase/whoops forgot gallu again :smile:

Just done last part of challenge 1, booked a neighbour in Wales for a catch up with a few glasses of gwin coch plus the challenge.
Still to do 2 & 3 - work’s getting in the way… Hope to catch up at the weekend

Sounds as though you’re off to a great start, Cathy - all of that is exactly what happens when you really go for it :sunny:

Status report:
My tongue is tied up over the long sentences, not helped by a brain that’s gone to mush and forgets what was said! - the early starts into London, work and then Welsh in the evenings are taking their toll. I am finding Welsh phrases bubbling around my mind when trying to get to sleep.

I’m guilty of re-listening to the previous nights lesson as I walk to work- but I let it run straight through (no pausing) and think responses when I can.

Currently conversations with people are limited but I have started texting my husband in Welsh, even if it is just an ‘yma’ or ‘yn y swydd’

1 Like

You’re doing excellently! The ‘bubbling’ in your mind is a terrific sign… :thumbsup:

Don’t worry about this - but do try to start saying something (anything!) as soon as possible, rather than trying to think your way through the entire sentence - if you just get the first few words out and then draw a blank, that’s absolutely fine :sunny:

Sounds like you’re doing really well, Cathy! I found that the re-listening (especially while walking) really help to solidify everything in the brain, so no need to say you’re ‘guilty’ of that - seems like an excellent idea.

What a great challenge you’ve set yourself! Dal ati!

1 Like

Still here, progressing, even if I did miss doing my lesson on Friday as I was working and traveling.
Back in Wales for a few days, trying to talk to our “ci coch” in Welsh :slight_smile: , she keeps giving me funny looks!

Link to the challenge, I could do with some orders for the dog
E.g. Come and Down

Thanks

1 Like

Try ‘tyrd yma’ for ‘come’ - literally come here - pronounced ‘tid um-ah’…

and ‘lawr!’ or ‘i lawr!’ for down… :sunny:

1 Like