Old Welsh language workshop and harp concert near Portsmouth on Saturday, Butser Ancient Farm

I just wanted to spread the word that I’ll be running a morning workshop in the lovely setting of Butser Ancient Farm, near Portsmouth on this Saturday (30th June 2018) https://www.facebook.com/events/191762334958479/?active_tab=about. It will be a rare chance to sit in a reconstructed early medieval hall and read early medieval Welsh poetry in the perfect setting! The workshop is called ‘The Language of the Britons’ and we’ll be looking at how all of Britain used to speak a kind of Welsh, at how Welsh and English are related, discussing placenames and looking at how languages develop.We’ll also be dipping into some of the amazing early Welsh literature from the “Old North” (which is Northern England and Southern Scotland which were Welsh-speaking in the early middle ages) in the original and translation - Canu Heledd, Taliesin and the Gododdin. There is also a harp concert in the evening in the Iron Age hut where I’ll be performing some of the medieval Welsh poems with harp backing - it must be one of the only times these poems will have been performed in England with the harp for almost 1500 years, so do come along if you can! Hopefully it will be very atmospheric! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

This is only a short walk from home for me but this is the first I’ve heard of it and I’m already committed on Saturday. What a shame!

What a shame! Maybe it’ll happen again! I’ll try to post about it sooner if so…

1 Like

Sorry I only just picked this thread up
Interested if you do it again

Me too!

Not in Portsmouth, but Snowdonia is worth a visit :sunglasses:: A weekend of Welsh language and literature in Snowdonia - book now for 2019 events

Hi Mark. In case you thought this was just last year, there are two “About Welsh” courses coming up this year - June 14-16 and 8-10 November - in Plas Tan y Bwlch study centre in Snowdonia…It’d be great if you’re still interested…

That’d be great if you can come in June? :slight_smile:

Just realised this post is about Butser Ancient Farm not my Tan y Bwlch course! Sorry. I haven’t quite got used to how this website works yet. I’m back in Butser near Portsmouth on Saturday funnily enough for their Beltane celebrations giving some concerts which will include some medieval Welsh poems by the fireside! And I’m also repeating the above workshop “About Welsh” and full evening concert in the Iron Age roundhouse there on 22nd June 2019 too so do come if you can…

Just realised this post is about Butser Ancient Farm not my Tan y Bwlch course! Sorry. I haven’t quite got used to how this website works yet. I’m back in Butser near Portsmouth on THIS Saturday funnily enough for their Beltane celebrations giving some concerts which will include some medieval Welsh poems by the fireside! And I’m also repeating the above workshop “About Welsh” and full evening concert in the Iron Age roundhouse there on 22nd June 2019 too so do come if you can…

1 Like

Thank you for your messages, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Unfortunately my band has a gig that Saturday so won;t be able to make it. I will circulate it around our CACEN group here in South east England so someone may contact you from there as well as about the Butser event. Sally and Gary came to see you previously and loved it.

If you are local to Sussex, you would be most welcome to come to a CACEN meetup - search for Cacen on the SSIW forum. It’s the second Saturday in the month