Ok, so a weird/happy outcome of learning Welsh words!

Strap in, I appreciate this is a bit odd. (What is ‘weird’ in Welsh?)
Two things I can tell you about me;
Thing 1: I am a jewellery maker
Thing 2: I am autistic, and part of that means I process sensory information in an unusual way.
When I’m stressed or ill, my sensory issues get stronger. During lockdown, I was feeling pretty wrung out (would my business survive, would my poorly old dad get sick, will the kids kill each other being stuck together all the time and so on.) I noticed I was having very strong sensory responses to the Welsh words I had started learning. The first one flagged was ‘dechrau’ which makes me flinch - I can feel/see it as a big dark cat’s tongue, and ‘hwyl’ is pin sharp and bright. And so on. The long and the short of this is I put together a proposal for an exhibition, based around a collection of jewellery made in response to my learning of new Welsh words, and the Arts Council of Wales have very kindly given me some funding to make it happen. So, I’m having an exhibition in a gallery in Carmarthen from St Dynwen’s Day next year. There will also be a ‘virtual visit’ on my website. I simply now have to do all my research, make all the jewellery, and find somewhere not arts-related to show the collection for a few days.
I would love to know if anyone else ‘sees’ Welsh words in an unusual way - do they make you think of certain things/shapes/textures etc. I’m collecting notes for my website (not started it yet, the project doesn’t ‘officially’ start until the end of August), but if you don’t mind me quoting anonymously, I’d be so grateful!

6 Likes

I can’t help with experiences of ‘seeing’ Welsh words, but I just wanted to say that it’s fascinating that you do, and what a brilliant idea to combine that with jewellery - and fantastic to get funding too!
I look forward to making a virtual visit when it’s available :smiley:

PS I would use ‘rhyfedd’ for ‘weird’ in Welsh :slight_smile:

1 Like

PLEASE post a link to your virtual exhibition when it is ready.

I don’t see individual words, but parts of various lessons are somehow linked to different locations, for instance L2.C1. is set at the entrance to a park in Penarth, another challenge is somehow in a lane near Pendoylan, and another in the car park at Cosmeston. I’ve really got no idea why!

3 Likes

Excellent - I wonder why?! I was walking in Fforest Fawr today, and loving the bilingual sculpture plaques. A couple of months ago I couldn’t have understood any of it - I got a real kick out of recognising even a few words! (my favourite word is ‘gwiwer’, it kills me I think because it sounds like someone drunk trying to say ‘squirrel’)

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

This is a fascinating project @Lydia_N and I wish you well.
I’ll give it some proper thought, but to begin with alla’ddim is the yellow/orange/pink of Fruit Salad sweets and ddeuddod i is deep blue, almost navy.

2 Likes

Btw, hope you are all peaceful and well still. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Most of my words are associated with walking through Fitzrovia in London as that’s where a lot of learning on headphones went on. Some future tense reminds me of Clifton Suspension Bridge…

2 Likes

Hello Lydia!

when I first came across Welsh, in a few songs, I didn’t understand anything at all. I just was charmed or other times amused by the sound of some words. I had a lot of fun just trying to copy those sounds and making up the meanings myself. :smiley:

I didn’t really take notes, so now I’ve studied the language a bit, most of them have been substituted by their actual meanings.
However I can try and listen to the songs again and let you know if I can remember them or come up with something else!

Pob lwc for your project anyway!

2 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

Hi Lydia, I’m fascinated by your idea… Its really innovative! I love the sound of words and I see them written in my mind. I slso love alliteration and word play so my favourite welsh word is uwd for porridge so I live to say “Beth yw uwd yn Saesneg” As for seeing words as things, I will give it more thought but I definitely see a hot stesming bowl of porridge in my mind when I speak that sentence, especially out loud! Best wishes with your project, I look forward to seeing the outcome blwyddyn nesa!!! Gill x

1 Like

That’s really interesting and fascinating, I’d love to come and see your exhibition.

Perfect time and place for an SSiW birthday party? @CatrinLliarJones :thinking: :wink::joy:

1 Like