New Year's Resolution - Aged Dragon's Quest!

i’ve been meaning to ask for a while…can you dweud iddo fo?

1 Like

You’ll be understood perfectly, but there’s a fighting chance you’ll get corrected too - it just sounds very wrong.

1 Like

Thanks…fortunately i’ve not said it but last night i did want to dweud rhywbeth wrth rhywun!!! :wink:

1 Like

Yn wir? Then geographically that must put my strangled vowels in the southern hemisphere! :wink:

No, bach! Just Port Talbot!!!

To @aran and unrhybeth arall with any idea - in English - woman, man; yn Gymraeg merch, ddynes, menyw and just dyn for him! Why? I suppose one could be lady?
ps done 1.12

Gŵr means man ad well as husband. And Gwraig is woman as well as wife.
It feels that the ‘ŵr’ bit of gŵr is the same as the ‘er’ in English.
Ffermwr, milwr, nofiwr, rhedegwr.
Farmer, soldier, swimmer, runner.

2 Likes

And Ladies and Gentlemen are (in reverse) Boneddigion a Boneddigesau, but it still seems that merch, ddynes and menyw is a bit more than in English!
I think you’re right about ‘wr’! Oh, any ideas on derivation of bugail (shepherd)?

GPC is useful for etymological information.

http://geiriadur.ac.uk/gpc/gpc.html?bugail

Apparently, the first bit is related to “buwch” (cow) and the second bit comes from an element meaning “gyrru”, so something like “someone who drives/herds cows” originally.

Also related to the English word “bucolic”, which is from Greek via Latin and formed from the same elements as the Celtic root that turned into bugail.

And the second part of the word is related to “colony” and “cultivate”.

1 Like

To @aran Just did Challenge 1.13. When I did the southern version, I got totally stuck at 13 for ages. If I pushed on. I ended up going back as nothing seemed to stick in my head. Now, doing northern version, I did not press pause and, often in chorus with Catrin, I got through, but, interestingly, using the southern words I had forgotten before!! Oh, when dealing with a young person of female gender, she tends to be y ferch ifanc, not y fenyw , but that is a quirk all my own! But, gyda for efo, ‘fe or e’ for the male, etc. etc. I actually did say isio and angen! So I’m still a mixed-up de-gog hen ddraig!!!
But thank you, @aran, your method certainly works!!! It just takes some of us a lot of time to bed things in!!!

1 Like

Trusting the system and keeping on moving on can feel scary and uncomfortable, but it will get you there…:slight_smile:

Diolch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It certainly will. Despite my own lack of confidence i know i’ve improved immensely.

Also use it or lose it. Practice is so important to consolidate and to keep improving.

Dal ati @henddraig

4 Likes

@aran sob! 1.14, not finished yet, stopped to say, you say, “naeth” as I think @Iestyn would! I say it like Catrin does!
:sob:
Edit! More :sob: :cry: I defy anyone to get a word out before Catrin in some of those examples and you, @aran left out the beginning of one. Was this a fault of the reproduction on my iPad? I am not sure whether to move on to 115 or hide in a cupboard!

1 Like

Move on, but just to 1.15, not 115…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

:wink: :laughing: :sunny: y bore 'ma, 1.15!!!

3 Likes

@aran 1.15 was heavy going! Mistakes? Oh, zillions! Also, gyda for efo always, and a lot of running out of memory before running out of sentence! I know I slow myself down by blanking while trying for, say, Medra, but, for some reason my brain will not let me get away with Galla! Very tempted to repeat, but I suspect I’d stall here, so am going to do 1.16,( yes, 1.16, not 116 ) yfory!!

1 Like

Currently struggling through 1.16. I know the words! I know I know the words, but my brain is scrambled and they come out in the writing no order, " she told me that she wants to read that book" “diddodd hi wrtha fi bod y llyfr isio bod…” Oh dear! :wink: will carry on!

2 Likes

Ddudodd hi wrtha fi bod hi isio darllen y llyfr 'na.

1 Like

I know that @Pete2! I know all the ones I get wrong! That’s what is so annoying!

2 Likes

Then you’re not really getting them wrong…symuda ymlaen…rwan!

1 Like