New Year's Resolution - Aged Dragon's Quest!

This would be question for @garethrking as I’ve read he studied Slavic languages too.

1 Like

Yes, Polish is easily the most complex of the major Slavonic languages in terms of grammatical morphology (Sorbian equally so, actually) - Czech, Russian and Ukrainian a little less so, but still hair-raising! Then, I would say, comes @tatjana 's Slovene, slightly more complex than Serbo-Croat. But all the Slav languages except the radically simplified Macedonian and Bulgarian have more complex grammar than German, which - like all Germanic languages except Icelandic and Faroese - actually has a relatively simple grammar. For example, the French verb system is wildly more complex than the German one - German gets a bit of stick for a reputation that is largely undeserved. :slight_smile:

Welsh grammar of course is a doddle :wink:

I hope you are all taking notes - there will a be short written test on all this next period…

5 Likes

Yes, and one of the least successful, for my money. I crashed and burnt with it - couldn’t keep going, parts of it got under my skin so badly.

1 Like

Yn barod idw i. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My resolution kept today by skin of teeth. Time flew! And challenge 1.6 is longer than those before! Now for relistening to listening practice!

2 Likes

English has dropped to third? Wow! I am just starting Spanish. Basically because I loved travelling in central America and know quite a few Spaniards. Maybe Polish is a better choice (so I can claim to speak the top three UK languages?) The only person I can speak Welsh with in our office (in Cardiff) is Polish! I’m wondering. Going off on a tangent, if your 1st language has a really tough grammar, does learning second languages generally become easier, as your mind has spent more time thinking about language? Attacking a third language seems easier to pick up having learnt a second language as an adult,(it’s just a question of the time to fit in practice of Welsh and SPanish) regularly,

1 Like

A little late for a new year’s resolution, but i’m going to try and keep a welsh diary/journal.

Done my first today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hmmmm … are you at the end of this year already? We’re only at January 4th so it’s surely not too late. :slight_smile:

Da iawn ti. Dal ati. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just did challenge 1.7! Keeping to one a day so far! This telling you all business makes me keep on going! Mmm… I can see the Forum would get a bit full if we all did that, so from here on in, I’ll only report if I fail!

2 Likes

I want to hear succeses too.

1 Like

There’s kind!
Question for @aran, I absolutely always say ‘wedi’ not ‘di’. It’s out of my mouth before I can stop it, totally automatic. Will I sound ever so formal and stilted? Oh, also, as I still tend…not just tend…auto-use ‘e’ for male, I preferentially use ‘hi’ for ‘it’. This seems safer when using Northern terminology. I hope I won’t be thought sexist!
Part way through 1.8!
Edit: Finished it now! I still tend to gag as my brain decides between words, I never, ever use pause, so end up in a chorus with Catrin! To @Pete2, I may have a go at voice recording and try sending the result to you, but don’t hold your breath. Every time I think of it, my brain ceases up again and I daren’t try it!

1 Like

No, not particularly… but being aware of it will help you figure out what other people are saying… :slight_smile:

That’s absolutely fine. It’s only if you reach the point of actually copying Catrin that it turns into an issue…

1 Like

You could join the skype group next time and just listen to start with (though you may get angry and want to correct our many garbled mistakes).

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

My plan, unvoiced, but part of my resolution, is to start arranging Skype once I have done as much of the 2nd set of Challenges as I need to get a bit broader vocabulary! Currently, I get very frustrated because there are huge chunks of life for which I have no words, and all the ones you have taught me, well, most of them I don’t actually remember!! Now I must do Challenge 1.9!!
Edit-
Done that!

3 Likes

Looking forward to your recording :slight_smile:

I have just realised something. When @aran says "helo " in Listening Practice… well @aran, you really do south Gog to my southern ear! It is the vowels. I suspect that I may say the words in the Northern course, but I will not sound properly Gogledd!

My sister-in-law says I sound as though I come from the south, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Managed to fit in 1.10 but it isn’t easy. The challenges get longer and I had trouble finding time!

2 Likes

Did 1.11 while Toffi out with Janet & her dogs, Hamish and Sasha. Dear @aran, in the last sentence I used more southern words than Northern. I known I say 'e’not ‘o’ and rely on the fact that it’s so quick it’s hard to tell the difference. Also, if I say “helpi di” instead of “chi di” will it matter? Real problem, I know it’s ortho ti after gofyn, but for some reason, I keep saying 'i ti "!

No, it won’t… :slight_smile:

Actually, ‘correct’ here is ‘gofyn i ti’ - there’s probably a certain amount of crossover from ‘dweud’ in the wild - I’d probably say ‘gofyn i dy fam [wneud rhywbeth]’ but ‘gofyn wrthi’ on occasion (technically incorrectly).

1 Like