New Welsh Language meetup in Cardiff

Shwmae pawb!

A new Welsh language meetup has started in Cardiff and we aim to give everyone a chance to practice their Welsh, make friends and have fun in a safe environment. It doesn’t matter what your level is, if you have an interest in the language, you are very welcome to become part of our community!

Our next meet up will be at the Owain Glyndwr in Cardiff Central, Thursday 2nd of February from 19:00 until 21:30 and you can arrive and leave at any time that suits you. We are also planning on organising activities such as quiz nights, urban walks and board game nights to go along with a regular meet up for a drink every Thursday evening.

If you like the sound of this, we have a Facebook group where you can join and keep up to date on our events:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/732972491380807/

If you don’t have facebook but still have an interest in the group, no problem just send me a message on here. I’m happy tell you more about the group or answer your questions :slight_smile:

I hope to see you next Thursday!

Diolch yn fawr,

Rob

2 Likes

Fantastic news @robert-williams-5 ! I’ll get that in this week’s newsletter for you :slight_smile:

I’ve requested to join your FB group too, so I can spread the word!

On the subject of places to speak Welsh in Cardiff, my husband and I were in Cardiff recently and discovered that the woman on the reception desk in the foyer of the Pierhead building down at the Bay was happy to speak to us in Welsh. She also started up the film show for us, even though we were the only people there. I just thought I’d mention it and the Pierhead is well worth a visit.

3 Likes

brilliant, diolch yn fawr @Deborah-SSi !

1 Like

The lady in Hinds Jewellers is fluent De Cymru. If anyone wants to buy a Santes Dwynwen gift :smiley:

1 Like

Prynhawn da pawb!

Just letting everyone know that the next meet up is this week, at the Owain Glyndwr (10 St. John Street, Cardiff, GB CF10 1GL), Thursday 9th of feb from 19:00 - 21:30. As before, arrive and leave as you please.

If you need more info, feel free to send me a message on here. You can also join our facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/732972491380807

Diolch yn fawr and see you on Thursday hopefully!

Rob

1 Like

Shwmae!

Our group is now on meetup.com! So if you don’t use Facebook, or prefer to keep in touch with the group another way. Feel free to use meetup instead :slight_smile:

Here’s the link:

Hope to see you all at an event soon!

Diolch yn fawr

Rob

1 Like

I’m hoping to get along to a meetup on June 1st. I’ll be flying from Bilbao to Bristol, then catching the train to Caerdydd, so I’m not sure what time I’ll get there, but I’ll try to grab the opportunity while I have it :slight_smile:

Brill Deborah! Would be great to meet you in person :smiley:

1 Like

I popped into this meetup last night for a short time on my way through to my overnight stop in Caerdydd with friends.

There were 4 people in the group, all very friendly and welcoming, and they’d love to have some more people join the group. They’re planning different activities as well - not just sitting chatting in a pub, although I have to say it was surprisingly quiet for a Thursday evening! They said it’s usually quiet, so it’s a good spot to be able to hear others and try out your Welsh. They welcome new speakers / learners of all levels.

They have a picnic coming up soon, plus they’re keen to go along to Welsh theatre and other events. If there is something you’d like to go to in Caerdydd, it would be a good opportunity to suggest it to the group and have some people to go with.

They generally use the Meetup.com website to advertise their events. You just need a login for that platform, and you can indicate whether you’re planning to attend etc, so they will know to look out for you.

If you live in/near Caerdydd, this is a great opportunity to use your Welsh - plus one of the bar staff speaks Welsh. Just make sure you ask in Welsh and you’ll find her :slight_smile:

1 Like

I subscribed yesterday but when I went to access the content it said that this is premium content and prompted me to subscribe to the exact thing I had already subscribed to and it has taken money out of my account. I got email a receipt of my purchase. Any chance you can help me? I emailed the admin and no response in the last 24hrs

I have replied on your other post, Luke.