New user living in Belfast

Hello all/ helo pawb!

I just wanted to say a quick hello and get a bit of insight into this forum.

I grew up in North Wales and learnt basic Welsh in school. I’ve lived in Belfast for the past thirteen years and work as a Theatre Director. I recently had a daughter, Seren, and am keen to teach her Welsh and improve mine. I read to her in Welsh with her “llyfr amser gwely” and I watch cyw on S4C with her etc. Lots of my Welsh has come back to me very easily but it is quite basic and I’m keen to learn more as I go home to Wales quite a lot.

I’d love to gain an e-pen pal if anyone is interested. I’d also like to see if, by some very small chance!!, anyone else might be living in Northern Ireland - although I’d certainly be interested in meetups in Wales.

Apart from that, if anyone has any tips on how best to use the forum that would be great!

Looking forward to chatting to other learners!

Thanks/Diolch!

9 Likes

Croeso!! Great to see you on the forum!

This is definitely a great (the best) way to build your Welsh. I’d be happy to be an e-pen pal. I live in Cardiff. My fiancee is a Welsh speaker. I’ve learnt using SSiW :smile:

Let me know :smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
Feel free to ask anything you want to know about the SSiW courses, or anything about Welsh or Welsh related stuff - it’s a really friendly, supportive place and there are always people ready to help. We’re a mix of members at all stages of learning as well as first-language speakers not only in Wales but spread across the globe so there’s a vast pool of experiences to draw on.
There is a pinned thread at the top of the page with lots of tips and regularly asked topics, so having a delve in there is a good idea.
Looking forward to seeing you in Wales sometime!

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum and to SSIW!

Check out the SSIW Map for learners near you, and also find the thread that gets you added and @Sionned will add you. With luck you may find someone near to you! Pob lwc :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Croeso, welcome Patsy! How are you receiving this? Lap top or desk top, fine, but my iPad app doesn’t show the map! I have to go to Safari and enter SaySomethinginWelsh from there, then the map appears as an option!

1 Like

Hi Anthony,

Diolch am y croeso!

And yes - let’s become E-pen pals! Can I ask you what GIG is in your information? My sister works as a physio.

Is it just best to exchange email addresses in a message?

Diolch!

2 Likes

Thanks @henddraig, I have searched and searched on my iPAD to post a link but couldn’t find the map! Now I know why! :slight_smile:

I’ve just been checking. You have to select FAQ once you have logged into SSiW via Safari! I knew I found it, but hadn’t done it that way for a while!
Edit: to @patsyhughes don’t put your email address on open Forum. Use a Personal Message. It is probably easiest for @AnthonyCusack to send to you rather than me explaining how!

2 Likes

Thank you for your help!

I’ve been on the map and found users near me. Not too sure how to view their profile though - can only view their user name but might be able to work it out hopefully!

Diolch yn fawr!

Thanks for the tip!

If you find a posting from someone, e.g. me and click on the avatar (picture by the name) you get a bit of a profile. @tatjana can you help further with this?

1 Like

Looks as though you’re already off to a great start! And a very warm welcome to the forum… :slight_smile: Good luck with the course… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, Patsy - I’ll add you to the map. When you click on a marker on the map, you should get a flag with a name on it. That will be the name used on the forum. (For example, yours when I get it there will say ‘patsyhughes’.) If you enter that name in the search bar on the forum (magnifying glass in the upper right corner) and that person is still active on this forum you will find a link to their profile. From there, you can contact them with a private message to see if they’d like to meet up.

The caveat is that, because SSiW has been around for several years and this is the “new forum” (as opposed to the “old forum”) some of the people on the map are no longer active and don’t have a profile on this forum. I don’t remove people from the map unless someone specifically tells me to (like the person leaving, or someone who knows they are gone). So if you put a name into search and no corresponding name/profile appears in the search results, that person is probably not around any more (sorry!). Hopefully you might find at least one or two near you - OR! - you could ask here on the forum if anyone else is in your area. Because the map only has a small percentage of the people actively using the forum and SSiW. Good luck!

4 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn i ti!

Thank you very much - that makes a lot sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wanted to also say croeso i’r fforwm Patsy!
As you’ve got some basic Welsh already, you should fly through these challenges no problem! Let us know how you get on with them, and if you ever get stuck, just tell us about it by here and one of us will be sure to have a solution for you.
And if you would like another e-pen pal, I would be happy to join in!
Best of luck with the course
Gav :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Warm welcome on here first from me too.

Then on, I didn’t go through the whole thread so it might be someone already mentioned it, but here is approximately everything on how to use the forum I hope you find something useful there.

Happy exploring and posting!

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gwasanaeth Iechyd Gwladol (NHS).

You can tell me about your physio relatives in our first e-bost if you like? :smile:

I’ve sent you a private message with my address.

3 Likes

Diolch Gav!

And thank you for the E-pen pal offer! I’d definitely be up for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent! I will send you a PM now! :smiley:

2 Likes

Croeso, @patsyhughes! That’s lovely that you’re working to keep your daughter’s Welsh language legacy alive! Well done, you!

2 Likes