New here - Marcus Dw i

I had a C grade O’level welsh. Which to be fair wasn’t much more than days of the week, months of the year, the weather, numbers, the time, hoffi, eisiau, clothes, shops, mwynhau, and Ga i.

So two months ago I started learning Spanish on Duo Lingo and loved the app. I thought I would have a little look at the welsh version. Anyway, there’s a test to see how much you know and I took the test and it opened up at level 20.

I decided I would do both welsh and spanish and see how I got on. Welsh was easier as most of the above I still remembered. I have done 20 minutes a day on both languages for 60 days now. I have wrestled a lot whether I should be concentrating on just one and it feels like the time I am putting into welsh might have more benefit if I put that into spanish. However, I like welsh. I like the idea of speaking welsh and I am envious of those that do. I am progressing faster with welsh and I am more inclined to learn welsh in my spare time over and above the 20 minutes. It does seem hard though particularly with the mutations and having to learn both the formal and informal version of everything. It’s my plan to take far more notice of the informal as I can’t really see myself in many formal situations. I’m from the English speaking part of North Wales. live near London so I’m not going to get many situations to practice in although i have just discovered the London welsh centre online, so I am going to see if that is helpful.

Meanwhile if you are learning welsh and here are some of the things I have been using.

Duo Lingo - This is great, I really enjoy this. I find it much easier to do on my laptop than on my mobile. I feel like in 30 days I had far surpassed my o’level level and was getting the hang of mutations because of it. On a negative, there is a button you can press to go to the explaining bit but you tend not to use it and just crack on, the standard way of using it means you make mistakes like with mutation or formal or informal and don’t really know why. Another thing that’s a bit frustrating is they have teamed up with a welsh language course and there’s some dumb stuff in it that feels old fashioned like going on about harp’s and cottages and having a dragon as a friend and two imaginary characters called Dewi Lingo and Eleri Lingo. This seems to be dropped as you progress past the initial stages. Duo Lingo alone isn’t going to be enough to learn a language but my attitude is to do this 20 minutes a day mix in some youtube and see where I am in two years. On the whole it’s amazing and given me a real feeling that I can crack this language.

YouTube - Now you’re talking Welsh. In the early 90’s there was a tv programme called Now you’re talking welsh. Someone has kindly uploaded it onto youtube. I really enjoyed this program there are 36 x 20 minute programs. It feels really old fashion, a bit cheesy but it has some great things in it that were in our lives as kids that have gone now like Midland Bank and Manweb. It deals with the language for North Wales and South Wales and highlights the differences. However I think this might add some confusion. I am also not sure it fits in with the more modern way of teaching Welsh which seems to be taking a bit of North and South and mixing it in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RgBSQVhJFM

YouTube - Welsh with us. This is excellent. It really doesn’t mess about with chatting or over complicating anything, it just gets to the point. Each video is around 2-4 minutes, it’s clear and concise. It’s particularly good for if you want to look up a particular thing. For instance, I was struggling a bit on duo lingo with “I had, he had, she had etc”. I looked up the I had lesson on Welsh with us and within five minutes I had cracked it. The best way of using this is to click on the section that says playlist and it’s split into begginers and improvers. It’s listed there in the correct order. On a downside to these lesson there’s no real practice or use of what you learn, just the odd example.

Youtube Easy Welsh, These are interesting. It’s the interviewers just chatting to people on the street. A friend of mine inspired me a little when he said a lot of North Walians have an interesting way of mixing English and Welsh. It made me realise if you get stuck you can chuck in a couple of English words in the middle of a sentence and carry on, hopefully getting a way with it. There’s not really any other language you can do this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3bUF4CWX50&list=PLA5UIoabheFNGrS9AIUvXUgnwJmXyF-1u&index=1

Youtube Welsh Plus +
Not sure what happened here, these look handy but not overly useful and it seems like whoever made them packed in after about 20, but they are bite size with a light non serious feel and each edition lets you pick up a few new words

Youtube S4c - In 2015 S4c did a program called Hwb. I have only seen the first few of these and I’m not overly keen on the format but there are 112 lessons and I’m sure, I can pick plenty up from it.

Say Something in Welsh - Here I am it’s my first day here. It looks great but I have have been saying Eisiau as AY-Shy and now it’s here as AY-SHO

8 Likes

That’s great feedback on what you have been exploring up till now on your Welsh journey Marcus. You’re very brave learning two languages at the same time.
It will be interesting in a few months to know how your Welsh is developing, I wish you Pob lwc and hope you enjoy learning Welsh with SSiW as much as I do.

4 Likes

Hi Marcus and croeso!

Because you’ve done some Welsh before with other methods, you may find SSiW very different, but just go with it - the method may feel strange, but it really will get you talking. Try not to dwell on things you’ve learnt before too much - they won’t be wrong, but with SSiW you’ll find there are more than one way to say many things and some words/constructions will no doubt be a bit different to what you know already, but don’t worry, just use what words come easiest to you.

For instance, eisiau gets pronounced in multiple ways in different regions of Wales, so your AY-Shy is fine, but on SSiW you’ll also come across the variants (like AY-SHO) which helps when you start hearing the variants used in other places because you’ll recognise them (and others will recognise AY-Shy too!).

The forum is very friendly and helpful, so if you’ve got any questions or problems have a look through the threads to see if anyone else has had the same question or feel free to ask for help.

Once you actually start learning, and more importantly talking, you’ll be amazed where Welsh speakers appear from! :wink:

4 Likes

Welcome, Marcus and thanks for writing a detailed feedback on the resources you’re using: I think it’s very interesting to compare experiences and find new resources too!

p.s. I see from another post you wrote that you’re in Rochester. I’m sure I’ll be there some time later this year (late summer or fall). So if you’d like to practice a little basic Welsh speaking with an Italian learner, I’ll let you know when I’m around. :smiley:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Marcus, and good luck with your Welsh… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Could this be our @Sylv ? New Welsh Videos for Learners by an SSiWer

2 Likes

Indeed it is! Glad you are enjoying, @MarcusWhitfield welcome to the forum and all the best with your learning! :star2:

4 Likes

Hey! How you’ve come on, Marcus, in only 9 months… I had no school Welsh or current Welsh context in my “life in the now” such as it is, before SSiW. I’m still pretty much a dilettante.

Gydangilydd Cymru challenges people who have some fluency to go into busnes through the medium of Welsh - well that’s how I interpret the piece on MBA Cymreig - http://www.gydangilydd.cymru/amrywiaeth.htm. Can you use Welsh in your line of work, I wonder?

On a Duolingo Facebook page there is a new beginner asking for help. with the sort of transactional language used in catering establishments and shops, etc. I notice these threads, they pluck at my sadly crestfallen heartstrings (!)

I’m not even at work in English right now, never mind another language. There is a UK report out about the UK MFL (modern foreign language) failure. How making languages compulsory in secondary schools will help (!) There’s also been a report on a failure to make sure real apprenticeships are available to real apprentices, not just diverted towards big business’s staff training for the already well-qualified, and money has been wasted.

I reckon now might be a time for Transactional Language Work Placements (across and beyond Wales? who am I to say? I’m not Welsh or English or anything really! I live in red wall turning blue country). I’m crazy, I know it. If you lived your work life in Welsh, what would you need to be able to say? If you were to promote your business in Welsh, who or what might facilitate that? Do you have any vocational or business contacts with/in Cymru Cymraeg? or Lloegr Cymraeg? Please forgive the rhetorical questions…

1 Like

Croeso Marcus. I have a Welsh GCSE A grade but I didn’t do as well on Duolingo. I sped ahead and I didn’t learn anything and it felt like a waste of time. Maybe it’s worth doing properly from the start? Diolch for the video recommendations. I love learning Welsh and want to learn so badly. Do you watch any TV? I like Rownd A Rownd. I am in the south but I can’t get into pobl y cwm which is southern welsh, not a soap fan really. Croeso eto. Pob Lwc

2 Likes

A couple of people have commented on my thread and brought it back from the archives. So I will answer a couple of questions and add a little more. It’s crazy looking back, so i started this journey last March now I can meet a fellow learner and pretty much stay in Welsh for 2 hours with the odd “I wonder how you say that”. I have made lot of new friends and a couple of people I would consider real friends now. If nothing else then that’s great alone. There are so many things I’ve benefitted from apart from the obvious. I feel like I have come to know my own country better, I have come to understand the struggle of welsh speakers fighting for the language and I hope I will play my part in helping it. I live all the way down in kent but Welsh is in my daily life pattern every day. I am on a big drive with duolingo at the moment. I think its exellent and actually much more useful after finishing ssiw level 3. It helps me with writing, correct spelling and silly little things I mix up like when it’s mae or mae’r, sometimes i get stuck on the most basic thing. At the moment, I’m doing some duolingo in the morning, SSIW half hour on the cross trainer in the gym. Ive just finished level 3 and I mixed up doing some old classes as revision and doing the OLD course… In the evening I watch as much welsh tv as I can fit round everyone in the house or what the s4c app. Depending how tired or enthuastic I feel, I sometimes just watch with English subtitles, sometimes with welsh subtitles pressing pause and working out what I do and don’t know. I am going to the Euro 2020 games in Azerbajahan in June and will be at least 10 days in and around lots of welsh speakers, so i really want to push on now so that by then I can really make the most of that opportunity and come out of those 10 days much stronger. To answer Jen I watch Rownd a Rownd, I learn North Welsh and I am interested in accents a lot. I pay particular attention to North Welsh speakers on tv but often in dramas there are south walians playing characters where they should be north walian. I’ve watched a lot of Box Sets on S4c but a lot of the ones I recommended have dropped off now. I am currently watching Gwaith Cartre and just getting into it. Currently from whats on there I have watched Alys2, Craith2, Popeth yn Cymraeg, Teulu, Merched Parchus, Pila Pala, tydy bywyd yn boen and tydi coleg yn gret. I enjoyed all of those and you dont really need to have watched series 1 of craith or Alys to enjoy series 2.

Lorna, I can’t really think of opportunities speaking welsh willl help with my work but thats a great challange for anyone. I think thats how my welsh will go. Kind of start of just gettting out as much as I can mistakes and all, then slowly noticing some mutations and patterns then at some point much later sit down and do the hard work fine tuning. Regarding the work placement a funny thing happened when I went to St Fagan’s. They say everyone who works there is either a welsh speaker or welsh learner. The learners where the Dysgwr lanyard. So in the cafe, I asked. Ga I paned o de plis and was met with a blank look, I asked again slowly and the guy said oh sorry I’m not fluent. I’m not sure what he is learning in his welsh class but I would have thought someone would have taught him some of the things he would need in his role. Meanwhile we left him a SSIW business card to help him on his way.

7 Likes

Oh, hey, Marcus, are you paned.cymru?

If it is you, that mug you sent to Kiri is absolutely brilliant - a true SSi type idea! - and we’d love to help promote it for you, if you’d like that? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh hi, Yes. This is me, promote away, thank you.

3 Likes

Fantastic, will be doing soon :slight_smile:

1 Like