New course 1 lessons

Hi all,

I’m working my way through course 1 and am currently on lessons 6.1 and 6.2 but I was wondering what the differences were with the original course 1 and the new course 1 lessons and whether I should switch to doing those instead.

Cheers

Hi Brian! The new course presents material in quite a different sequence, naturally introducing phrases and patterns that you will find very useful in conversation right from the beginning. It is a result of learning what works best during the development of the original courses, so benefits from hindsight. I’m pretty sure Aran would recommend you start on the new course :smile:

6.1 and 6.2 are my personal low point in terms of the lessons I’ve written - comfortably the worst!

So if you’re finding them painful, you’re not alone, and you’re definitely at an early enough point for switching to the much better Level 1…:smile:

As a caveat to that, I would like to point out that if you’re learning Southern Welsh, the new course isn’t actually finished yet. If you’re learning Northern Welsh, then absolutely jump over to the new course.

That said, I wonder if the lessons six might actually be somewhat easier after doing as much of the new course as is currently available? It’s possible.

That said, I wonder if the lessons six might actually be somewhat easier after doing as much of the new course as is currently available? It’s possible.

It depends mostly on whether or not the two or three main patterns in 6 are covered in Level 1 - I don’t think they are, so I think the mistakes in how they are presented would probably be painful whenever you hit them…:wink:

Having said that, if the other new stuff had been covered, it would at least give you a little more room to deal with the tricky ones, so that’s a plus - I think at least a few of them are…:smile:

Cheers everyone. I’m doing the Northern course as I have friends who live on Anglesey so I’ll take the collective advice and switch to the new lessons. It probably won’t do me any harm to go through the early ones again as a refresher as well.

It probably won’t do me any harm to go through the early ones again as a refresher as well.

Do them without any repetitions and you should find yourself up to speed very quickly indeed…:smile:

Have just done challenge 1 on the new course 1 and although there were a few new words I hadn’t done before on the old lessons I seemed to get through it quite well so hopefully I will continue in that vein. Am planning on challenge 2 on the commute home this evening.

Excellent, well done Brian! Push on as far as you can without repeating and you’ll find yourself doing at least as well as you were on Course 1, if not a good bit better…:smile: