Name topic from "Looking for some language practice" thread

Ha ha, Hew. My daughter’s friend shared a job opportunity with the Council. A footnote to the requirements was A1 in Welsh. This was expanded as something like being able to start and end a telephone conversation and tell a colleague that someone had phoned. Easy peasey.
When do I start?

1 Like

Good story, John
HUW (my forum name makes a lot of people thing I’m Hew - maybe I should change it :smile:)

1 Like

Sorry, Huw. I double checked and changed it to match your forum name :frowning:

1 Like

Huw’s forum name is a play on the Welsh word for Europe, since (if I remember correctly) he used to work for/at the EU in some capacity. I always have to double check my spelling when I’m writing to him!

3 Likes

Exactly right, @Sionned , diolch (wela i ti yn fuan)

In fact I came to Aberystwyth in 1990 to set up the Swyddfa Cyswllt Ewrop / European Liaison Office at the university. My work was divided between the EU’s exchange programmes such as ERASMUS and TEMPUS; securing money from the Structural Funds to fund people and training courses and, as a scientist, helping colleagues to receive finance and take part in multinational Science/Technology projects under successive Framework Programmes.

This may help to explain my bewilderment and despair at the 2016 referendum result.

2 Likes

So, why not Heu? :smiley:

[quote=“JohnYoung, post:11, topic:11167”]
So, why not Heu? :smiley: [/quote]
Heh. Because the Welsh word for Europe is Ewrop.

1 Like