Name for Second Severn Crossing

More than 30 years ago, we cut our honeymoon short to get back to see the first match of the season - Enfield vs Gateshead in what was then the Vauxhall Conference. I think they lost :unamused: My son, when he was about 2 years old, ran on to the pitch at half time and I had to retrieve him - I think he was bored! He’s never been very interested in football - I wonder why. That was before the ground was sold off and all the financial difficulties and ground sharing. No donkeys involved, if you discount some of the midfielders :wink:

3 Likes

Which is also political

Perhaps, but my point is that I personally need this forum which is concerned with supporting language learning and the Welsh language in particular to be a refuge from political issues.

I have always been and continue to be politically active. It’s just that I don’t feel that this or any other “social medium” is the right place to air or share my views.

It has been said here many times that there are plenty of other places to air political views or vent political spleen. If our SSiW forum becomes yet another one, then I would cease to feel at home and sadly have to leave.

1 Like

Cardiff City moved into their new stadium in 2009, and the stadium was given the fairly generic name of “Cardiff City Stadium”, rather than “New Ninian Park”, “Leckwith Stadium” or any of these other names because the assumption was that some kind of naming rights deal was going to be worked into things - so a generic name like “Cardiff City Stadium” wouldn’t be too hard to change…

2018 - Cardiff City are still playing at the “Cardiff City Stadium”

1 Like

I was glad to read that fans are still calling the National Stadium, “Millennium” as I was horrified at the latest change which implied certain political changes. I hate this sponsorship business, although if, say, Tesco had offered to sponsor the new bridge when it was built and remove all tolls, I would have thought ‘Tesco Bridge’ worth it! As to the Millennial Stadium at the National Ground on/in Cardiff Arms Park… :wink:
p.s. There is a bridge in Glasgow called by all, “The Squinty Bridge” because it crosses the Clyde at a funny angle, at least I suppose that’s why. I had to Google to find out it’s official name is “The Glasgow Arc”, so whatever Alun Cairns calls the new bridge, it’s name, if any, will be decided by THE PEOPLE! :smile:

1 Like

I completely agree. Whatever the final ‘official’ title of the bridge. What people decide to call it in daily conversation will eventually win and gain prominence. For example, the two bridges crossing from Bangor to Anglesey (namely The Britania Bridge and The Menai Suspension Bridge) are commonly known as the ‘hen bont’ and the ‘bont newydd’. Also, as you said, the Principality Stadium will always be known as The Millenium Stadium. The Palace Vaults pub in Caernarfon will be forever known to locals as the ‘Pendeitsh’ because of it’s location and history. Also, how many small stone bridges are there throughout the UK which have been lovingly named by parents and their children as ‘the fairy bridge’/ ‘pont tylwyth teg’. I’m certain there are many more fascinating examples throughout Wales and beyond.

2 Likes

Here’s a view from my hotel window on a business trip a couple of years ago. I like the way the supports suggest a bicycle wheel.

3 Likes

There is a nightclub in Aberystwyth called Yoko’s. The official name of the club has changed twice since it wa ‘officially’ Yoko’s, yet when I was last in Aberystwyth new students were calling it Yoko’s even though it had never been officially Yoko’s for many years before their arrival.

So we have got back to language learning! How the users of the language ultimately decide which words are used, even when not the official big dictionary words.

1 Like

The financial difficulties were due to the chairman selling the Southbury Road stadium (official and used name) to “developers” and running off with the money!

Suggesting an alternative name: “Spokes Bridge”. :slight_smile:

(btw, I hope cyclists are allowed to use it, and that it is safe for them to do so).

Getting back to Pont Hafren Dai, knowing the Welsh penchant for cheeky hiwmor, and of course for word-play, I’d hope that one of the local names for it might be “Pontecarlo”. :slight_smile:

Bethan Gwanas has been talking about this recently. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So far I’ve only heard the proposed ‘official’ title in Saesneg - has an ‘official’ version in Cymraeg of the title even been proposed? If it hasn’t, there’s a wide open goal for the ‘people’s choice’ to become established from the outset :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure there is a dedicated cycleway across it which then continues into the city. This screenshot, however, suggests that it’s shared with buses. Bringing this back onto the topic of learning Welsh, note that my Google settings have helpfully led to the Clyde being given its Old North name. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can I just point out that for those of us English folk who cross the bridge regularly, crossing either of the bridges also represents “coming home” for us? Any name that’s chosen should reflect the fact that the bridge is neither wholly English nor Welsh.

3 Likes

Of course you can. Surely the simple solution to that is for the Welsh name to reflect it’s status as an entry into Wales, and the English name to reflect it’s entry into England; they don’t have to be translations of each other.

1 Like

Getting away from the daily Severn Bridge traffic jam for a mo :wink:
How about “The CD Rack” for the Swansea Grape & Olive tower thingy?

4 Likes

But CD’s are so 20th century. They should dismantle it and put it up in The Cloud… :wink:

3 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

That is very true! Could a compromise be to have this: Pont Owain Glyndŵr/Prince of Wales Bridge?

1 Like

Must we English be lumbered with the Prince of Wales at all? I’m not sure he reflects us any better than he reflects those on the right side of the border!

2 Likes

Maybe the new prince could be christened Dai, after the bridge.

5 Likes