NAFOW 2021 in Utica, NY - Sept 2-5

The organisers of the North American Festival of Wales are hoping that it will be able to be held in September this year, Covid permitting.

Keep an eye on the NAFOW website for more information, and if you’re planning to go, or if you have any experiences from previous years to share with others, it would be lovely to hear.

Did anyone catch Aran’s presentation a couple of years ago? Any photos? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was there and I remember I cried with the relief of learning Welsh for first time since I was 12….Yes I have some pics I think (of Aran, not of me in tears!)
Where should I send them or post them?
Sue

2 Likes

If you could post them here, it would be good. This could be a central thread for reminiscing and talking about this year’s event as news comes to hand.

1 Like

Alas I only found one photo of Aran in DC for NAFOW &

it’s his flyer

1 Like

I live in Utica! OMG – I want to go to this!

2 Likes

Sorry for the extra post. I am a bit confused as how to go about registering without asking for a hotel room. I live in Utica. Please advise. Thanks!

1 Like

@jenirizio-1 If you go to festivalofwales.org then click on the heading Register Online for NAFOW that will take you to a registration form :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Along with other NAFOW events, there will be the chance to participate in their own version of an Eisteddfod. Have a look at their website for details, but here are some of the categories:

• Poetry - Welsh and English language on the theme ‘Hiraeth’
  • Visual Arts - you need to send a description of your work in by Aug 20, but you’ll then need to attend on Sept 3
  • Solo Voice - all ages
  • Recitation - Welsh and English language

Here’s the link for online entry forms and detailed information on all the competition categories:

NAFOW 2021 - Eisteddfod Competition

1 Like

I rarely visit the forum, but just happened to check this thread and saw the request for photos of Aran at NAFOW in 2018. I only have a few, but happy to share! :blush:

1 Like

I’m out of practice here and just realized I should have tagged some of the peeps in the pictures I posted! :wink:

@aran @Sionned @delawarejones @tahl

3 Likes

O, diolch o galon i ti Jen! Atgofion melys iawn :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Aran, are you coming to Utica this year?

I think it’s extremely unlikely, but if you put the @ symbol in front of Aran’s name, then it tags him so he knows you’ve mentioned him - like this: @aran

Diolch.
Take 2
@aran do you have plans to come to the NAFOW in my small city Utica, New York, USA? I would love to meet you and your family.

1 Like

Heia bawb! Sorry I haven’t chimed in on this thread earlier. I’ll be at NAFOW in Utica – in fact, I’m on the Board that puts it on, and I run the SSIW “taster” sessions on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and set up a table in the marketplace with info on SSIW in particular and learning Welsh in general. That’s me with Aran in front of the flags in the above pic.

My name in “normal life” is Diane Owen, so if you see me at NAFOW, please say hi! @jenirizio-1, very glad we are bringing NAFOW to you, and I’ll look forward to meeting you.

This NAFOW is going to be a little different than usual because of the pandemic. For one thing, nobody from Wales can come over, and folks can only come from Canada if they jump through considerable hoops. So, a smaller event, but I hope it’ll be full of fun.

2 Likes

One comment for first-time NAFOW visitors: I strongly suggest you stop by the WNAA table in the Marketplace and buy your own copy of our hymnal for about $10. That’s what people will use during late-night singing and the Gymanfa Ganu (communal hymn-singing event Sunday afternoon & evening). Aran was, I think it’s fair to say, kinda gobsmacked at the Gymanfa Ganu here in Alexandria iin 2018.

2 Likes

Members of my family from North Wales settled in Utica and nearby Rome in the 1880’s. There was already a vibrant Welsh community there then. I’d have loved to be able to join you in person - sorry Covid means we can’t get there. Very best wishes for a successful event.

3 Likes

I will be going this Saturday and competing in the Eisteddfod singing competition!
I would love to meet some more SSiWers at the event and meetup for SSiW.
http://festivalofwales.org/schedule-of-events.html](http://festivalofwales.org/schedule-of-events.html

I thought I commented this, must have forgotten to tell you that I won in all three categories! It was great getting the strength to get back on stage after 10 years, was just happy to perform.