Nadolig Llawen!

It has always annoyed me that we sing, “In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan, earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone” But it wasn’t like that in Bethlehem! I actually like the carol, but it causes children to have quite the wrong idea of weather in Israel!
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda! :bell: :bell: :star:

3 Likes

Yes, it was always explained to us as kids, so we could just enjoy it anyway. Having said that, the Bethlehem near Amanford can get pretty chilly of an evening.

3 Likes

Well, reading this … we have place named Jeruzalem in Slovenia … quite chilly too but as it’s wine region you can get warm by drinking excellent wine there. One of the wines is called “Jeruzalemčan” also so … here comes tradition.

3 Likes

A slightly belated Nadolig Llawen i bob un ohonoch chi :smile:

4 Likes

Never too late to join a party Bob :grinning:

1 Like

On the subject of Xmas - Would I say for - Did you have a good Xmas - a) Gawsoch chi Nadolig da" neu - “Oddech chi gael Nadolig da” neu “O’t ti gael Nadolig da”
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i chi

I’d go with Gewsoch chi…
If you want to be less formal, try Gei di…

2 Likes

I think here we’d be looking for ‘gest ti’… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Would you give an example of where Gei di can be used more appropriately please Aran?
Cheers!!

gei di is future, gest ti is past - annewilks was asking about “DID you have a good Christmas” :slight_smile:

The first thing that comes to my mind for gei di is Gei di weld! “just wait and see!” or “you’ll see!”, as in “Everything will be fine, just wait and see!”.

1 Like

Yup - as Philip says ‘gei di’ (well, it’s ‘cei’ really, but you’ll often hear it softened as if the speaker were saying ‘mi gei di’) is future or present…

So ‘gei di weld’, or ‘gei di hynna os ti isio’ etc… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hahaha! I’ve only just seen this! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A late Nadolig Llawen and Blwyddyn Newydd Dda to all SSiWers!!! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and I truly hope you all have a fabulous 2018. :heart:

3 Likes