Mutations in a sentence

This might be a daft question but if I write down a sentence in Welsh and the last word of the sentence ends with a vowel then comma, would the next word be mutated or does the comma stop the mutation, (its amazing what goes through my mind at 4am lol) diolch

To clarify. A sentence ends with a full stop. Are you talking about a phrase within a sentence, ending with a comma, or are you talking about an apostrophe finishing a sentence, just before a full stop? Even better, can you give us an exmple?

Hi Margaret, thanks for the clarification on full stop, I never thought of that lol, I’m thinking about a phrase within a sentence/paragraph. Thank you

Can you remember your 4am sentence, phrase?

Unfortunately not, I was think more about words ending in a vowel then comma’s in general

This is more @garethrking’s field of expertise but I find it hard to imagine that the two words, the mutation casing word and the mutated word could be, would be seperated by a comma. This may of course be a failure of imagination on my part. The phrase after the comma may mutate for reasons of its own of course.

Like Margaret, I think I will need an example.

Also: words ending with a vowel don’t automatically cause a mutation…

Oh no, definitely not - and it is surprising what a widespread misconception this is. Mutations have nothing to do with word-shape or word-spelling. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had no idea that misconception even existed, until this thread…

1 Like

I used to encounter it frequently in classes, mostly in medium-level ones.

1 Like