More vocabulary lessons please

Oh, Swansea does have its own e-audiobook service! You have to register before you can see the titles though, and I can’t really be bothered as I assume there are no Welsh titles. Might ask next time I’m in the library to be sure.

I have just made a step up into non-fiction books. They are by Carreg Gwalch www.carreg-gwalch.com I am finding them easier than novels with all their metaphors and similes (I’ve done heaps of nofelau nawr and Stori Sydyn). I ried Harri Potter but needed a break. I like history and these light history books are readable (for me) with the help of the app geiriaduron. I find reading more satisfying than memrise. I’m not a big computer/game type person.

[ edited to fix URL :slight_smile: ]

Thanks for that link Elizabeth. Looks like a nice site.

Almost all 22 library services in Wales pool resources into one joint ebooks site. It needs much more improvement and a wider range which I’m pushing for but is worth checking out. Its worth also remembering that reservations are free in welsh libraries as long as the book you want can be sourced in wales which is usually the case. So just ask your local library for the book you want and within days youll have it, for free :smile:

Of course, with ebooks, geographical boundaries are irrelevant so once you have joined you could access the ebooks site from anywhere

1 Like

What I would dearly like to see with the vocabulary sections is pdf documents with the newly introduced words on them similar to what is provided with the main lessons. There are times when it doesn’t seem to matter how many times I listen to what is being said, yet still I fail to be able to tell what the word(s) are. It’s not all the time, of course, but frequent enough to be an annoyance. Any chance of such materials showing up sometime. Many thanks.

Distinct possibility! Our main focus is getting new material available right now, but if I get a chance in the next few weeks I’ll have a run through the old course doing some tidying up, which would include this sort of stuff :sunny:

Thanks, Aran. I certainly appreciate all the hard work that you and others put in on this project, and consider myself very fortunate to have such a resource available to me. Have a great day.

1 Like

Didn’t such PDFs actually exist once upon a time??

I’m sure I have copies of these on my iPad (for the southern course)

We are talking about the course guides for the vocabulary lessons here aren’t we??

Yes I think you are right, I have the guides for the northern vocab units (both course 1 and two). I’m sure I got them from Stu. I guess it is a matter of putting them on the website if that is what is desired.

The files are still there, just no links to them. Here are the links to the Southern ones.

The Northern course has different file names but they should be at the same path if you know the file name.

1 Like

What are some good ways to really learn new vocab for those who don’t have access to a Welsh library and/or who have long lists of Welsh words they hope to ‘make stick’? Or speaking patterns (for example the imperative)?

I watch as much Pobol y Cwm as I can, but I listen much more (I record the audio while watching). Between the inaccurate subtitles and difficulty with trying to look up a Welsh word I’ve heard, learning new words is a slow process, but I don’t want to try to memorize a long list of words.

(FYI, my word list is so long it is separated into lists…groups of related words, like work-related, weather-related, etc)

One thing that helped me and Rambling John is finding books or websites that match your own interests. In a short while you’ll have an intuitive awareness of words, new voculbary, by their context; without having to continually refer to a dictionary or keep looking to word lists. Regular listening to the radio is great as well: continually hearing of words - over and over - magically reveals their meaning to you by osmosis/context…

Hi Aran, just wondering if there is a vocab guide available for course 1 Northern? I’ve searched the site and haven’t found it. My hearing isn’t great and I often have trouble knowing whether I’m hearing words correctly (I was on lesson 6 before I realized that “ddim” wasn’t pronounced “vim”!). I end up looking up each word individually, which is very time-consuming. It would be very helpful if there were a pdf available…? Thanks!

Shwmae Laura?
There wasn’t a vocab guide produced for the northern course, but then the southern course guide could realistically be used for the northern Vocabs since there are very vew (if any) dialectual differences between the two courses that I can see.

The link to the guide is http://www.saysomethinginwelsh.com/pdf/WelshC1VocabGuideSouth.pdf

2 Likes

Yup, sorry - as Gav says, you’re best off having a squint at the southern version and then asking on here if anything seems not to match up… :sunny:

The courses are getting pretty old now, and we’ll be starting to shuffle them off towards back-stage as soon as L2 is finished for northern and southern… :sunny:

1 Like

Please give plenty of warning, so we can give them a good send-off…

3 Likes

diolch!

1 Like

Diolch!

1 Like