Mi wnes I siarad/ mi wnaeth hi siarad

Hi, I’m a bit confused about the mi, does anyone know what it is for?

1 Like

It’s the so-called “affirmative marker”, used to emphasize a positive sentence. It’s largely optional, and it’s rarely used in speech, but can be seen in writing occasionally. “Mi” is the northern form, in the south you’d see “Fe”. (And both forms cause soft mutation.)

4 Likes

What Hendrik said! But I’ll just add that the soft mutation often stays even when the mi/fe is omitted.

3 Likes

Just to add that fe is very much rarer in normal speech than mi.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s helpful

Depends where you are :wink:

1 Like

No no - it’s very common in speech in many areas, and frowned upon in more formal writing.

4 Likes

Thanks for the correction. As I am not in a Welsh speaking part of the globe I probably shouldn’t try to extrapolate from my obviously skewed perception of what constitutes normal use in speech or writing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not at all :slight_smile:

And it IS true that some areas don’t use the affirmative particles at all - where I was in Llanafan the native speakers never ever used them!

2 Likes

Thanks to you all! I will mainly be in Gwynedd, around Blaenau Ffestiniog, so I’ll listen out to see whether to use them or not.

1 Like

Or don’t worry about it at all, and just use whatever comes to mind first, since you’ll be understood fine either way (and will over time inevitably adapt to the patterns you hear most often)… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And of course in some ways it’s just as well NOT to use them if you’re not too sure about them, because at least then you don’t make the REAL mistake of accidentally using them in questions and negatives.

2 Likes

I use mi in spoken Welsh in positive statements all the time…

1 Like

This makes me happy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dw i’n hapus iawn! Mae eich llyfrau chi’n ddefnyddiol iawn.

2 Likes

Dw i’n falch o glywed hynny - diolch! :slight_smile:

You’ve doubtless seen it in the affirmative future tense as well (“Mi fydda i”, etc.)

1 Like