Meet-ups! On hold

Prynhawn da!

I have been contacted by one or two meet-up organisers who have decided, in the interest of personal safety and containment and whilst the number of Coronavirus cases are still on the rise in the UK, to put their meet-ups and events on hold for the time being.

Therefore I am planning on compiling a list for next week’s email, informing learners worldwide of which SSiW / learner related meet-ups and events are on hold.

If you would like to include your meet-up or event in this list, then please say so in this thread and I shall add it to my list. Diolch yn fawr iawn. :slight_smile:

In the meantime, please read our guidelines post here -

The World Health Organisation have today 11/03/20 classified the virus as a pandemic.

See the updated list here -

• Weekly Meetups -

Aberhonddu - (Brecon) – Fri, 11am, Tower Café, St Mary’s Church, St Marys St, Brecon, LD3 7AA (Contact louiset641)

Abergavenny (Y Fenni) - Thurs, 1:30pm to 2:30pm, the Trading Post - Welsh Group ‘Siawns am Sgwrs’, Menter Iaith not SSiW group (contact joshua-menter-bgtm / joshua@menterbgtm.cymru) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Abertawe (Swansea) - Sat, 10.00am to 12.00pm. Not SSiW but chat with others in Tŷ Tawe (Contact leiafee)

Brighton - Mon, 8.30pm at a pub in Brighton (Contact markwatkinprice for venue)

Caerdydd (Mynydd Bychan) - Weds, 1pm to 2.30, Cant a Mil, 100 Whitchurch Rd, CF14 3LY (Contact jo-7)

Caernarfon - Fri, 11 to 12pm, back room Caernarfon Library, Pavilion Hill, Caernarfon LL55 1AS (Contact Rohini or call the library on 01286 679463 to check meeting is happening)

Casnewydd - Sat 10am to 12.00pm, Newport Central Library, third floor café area, John Frost Square, Newport NP20 1PA (contact jacob-4)

Chepstow (Cas-gwent) - Weds 10 to 11am at Tŷ Croeso, Coffee Morning (Bore Coffi ) - Menter Iaith not SSiW group (contact joshua-menter-bgtm / joshua@menterbgtm.cymru) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Coed Duon (Blackwood) - Thurs, 10.30 am to 12 noon, Wetherspoons, Blackwood, Gwent (Contact janetliddington)

Cilgeti (Kilgetty) - Weds, 6.30 to 8pm, Begelly Arms, New Rd, Begelly, Kilgetty SA68 0YF (Contact grettaem)

Cydweli (Kidwelly) - Weds, 6.30 to 7.30, Fishermans Arms, Bridge St, Cydweli/Kidwelly (Contact byron)

Deganwy - Mon 6 Jan, 12.30, Castle View Bar & Restaurant, Pentywyn Rd, Deganwy LL31 9TH (Contact harvey_fudge)

Dolgellau - Weds, 10am - 12pm, T.H Roberts cafe (upstairs). (Contact margarethall) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

East Coast USA Virtual Meetup - ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE - Thurs, 7pm to 8pm (US Eastern Time), see East Coast Time Zone Meetup Beginning for info on how to join (Contact @delawarejones)

Great Malvern - Thurs, 12.30pm to 2pm, Great Malvern Library Café (Contact meirionwen)

Hirwaun - Thurs, 10.00am to 11.30am, Hirwaun Library (Contact chrisdunn)

Liverpool (Lerpwl) - Mon, 7.30pm, (Doors open a little after 7:00, the two parallel language sessions start at 7:30, amser paned is about 8:30, then the centre closes at 9:00 or thereabouts) Canolfan Cymry Lerpwl, Capel Bethel, Auckland Rd, L18 0HX (Contact mikefarnworth) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

London (Llundain) - Thurs, 7.30pm to 10pm, upstairs at London Welsh Centre, 157-163 Grays Inn Rd, Holborn, London WC1X 8UE (Contact KateM)

Llandrindod - Weds, 8pm, Arfon Ales, Temple St, Llandrindod (Contact robbruce) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Llanelli - Mon, 7.30pm, The Colliers Arms, 12 Luton Tce, Furnace, SA15 4HR (Contact aliC) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Llanidloes - Mon, 7pm - 9pm, Great Oak Bookshop, 35 Great Oak St, Llanidloes SY18 6BW - “We read some simple Welsh children’s stories, poems and well-known songs. Entry is free, bring cake or biscuits to share if you wish.” (Contact andylecap)

Monmouth (Trefynwy) - Mon, 10am to 11.30am, Estero Lounge, Commerce House, 95-97 Monnow St, Monmouth NP25 3PS. Menter Iaith not SSiW group (contact joshua-menter-bgtm / joshua@menterbgtm.cymru) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Oxford (Rhydychen) - Weds, 10.30am, Welsh Mike’s Bap Café, Abingdon Rd, OX1 4PE (Contact johnwilliams_6) - - In Oxford we’ve stopped meeting in Cafe Bap and in the Royal Blenheim for the time being and just taking each day as it comes. This Wednesday we’re planning an open air meetup, but probably best to ask in the newsletter simply for people to contact me and/or keep an eye on the ‘Oxford Welsh learners group’ thread on the forum - Diolch a chofion gorau , John

Oxford (Rhydychen) - Fri, 12pm, The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes / Pembroke St (Contact johnwilliams_6) - In Oxford we’ve stopped meeting in Cafe Bap and in the Royal Blenheim for the time being and just taking each day as it comes. This Wednesday we’re planning an open air meetup, but probably best to ask in the newsletter simply for people to contact me and/or keep an eye on the ‘Oxford Welsh learners group’ thread on the forum - Diolch a chofion gorau , John

Penmachno - Thu, 7pm to 8.15pm, Tŷ Uchaf – The Eagles Pub, Penmachno, LL24 0UG (Contact dgodber)

Pontypridd - Weds, 7pm to 9pm, Clwb y Bont, Taff St, Pontypridd (Contact jonthomas)

Porth Tywyn - (Burry Port) - Fri, 12.00pm, Caffi Lolfa, Burry Port (Contact carallywelyndavies)

Pwllheli - Sat, 10.30am to 12.30pm, Caffi Gwalia, Stryd Fawr, Pwllheli (Organisers: Lesley & Howard Jones, SSiW Contact Daimorgan)

Talysarn - Weds, 7pm, in the Clwb Bach (Ex-Servicemen’s Club), Penygroes, LL54 6RN (Contact norajones)

Wrecsam - Mon, 7.15pm, Saith Seren, 18 Chester St, Wrecsam, LL13 8BG (Contact gruntius)

• Fortnightly / Monthly Meetups -

Aberdaugleddau (Milford Haven) - 1st Sat of the month, 10am, Phoenix Bowl, The Docks, Milford Haven, SA73 3AF (Contact conrad-neyland)

Aberystwyth - 1st Sat of the month, 11am, Caffi y Crimson Rhino, Northgate St (Contact diana)

Basingstoke - 3rd Tues of the month, 7pm to 9pm at the Red Lion Hotel (Top of Town, Basingstoke RG21 7LX) (Contact karenrutland)

Bath (Caerfaddon) - ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE - Fri, 11am 12pm All Bar One, High Street, Bath BA1 5AQ (Contact karynyeeking)

Caerfyrddin (Carmarthen) - 7pm, Ivy Bush Hotel, Spilman St, Carmarthen SA31 1LG (Contact margaretnock) - All 2020 dates - 18/03, 01/04, 15/04, 29/04, 13/05, 27/05, 10/06, 24/06, 08/07, 22/07, 05/08 (Eisteddfod week, subject to change), 19/08, 02/09, 16/09, 30/09, 14/10, 28/10, 11/11, 25/11, 09/12 - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Caerdydd -1st Monday every month, 7pm - 9pm. Railway Hotel, Station Road, Llandaff North, Cardiff. (contact Nova)

Caernarfon - 2nd & 4th Saturdays, 11am to 12pm, Palas Print bookshop (café in back) (Contact justineabbot)

Cambridge (Caergrawnt) - Every last Tues of each month, 7.15pm, (next meet-p confirmed as 24/02/2020), Panton Arms, 43 Panton St, Cambridge CB2 1HL (contact maynard)

Cas-Gwent (Chepstow) - Clwb Brecwast Cas-gwent / Chepstow Breakfast Club - 4th Sat of the month, 10.30am to 12.00pm, The Lime Tree, Chepstow, Table usually round to the back of the pub. (Ask for Welsh Group by the bar) (contact Llanddinol)

Ceredigion (Clonc-edigion travelling meetup) - See the SSiW forum for the latest dates and locations (contact HuwJones) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Chelmsford - 4th Thursday of every month, 7pm (for 7.30), Chelmsford Cathedral Chapter House, Chelmsford (contact Gwenno)

Cornwall (South East) - See the SSiW forum for the latest dates and locations, - usually Weds 10.30am, Jolly Roger Café, Finnygook Lane, Portwrinkle, Torpoint PL11 3BU (Contact sara-5) -CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Coventry - TWICE MONTHLY, 1st & 3rd Thursday, 10am. Upstairs above the café, front of the Earlsdon Methodist Church, Coventry, CV5 6NF (contact Peter Lockyer by emailing info@coventrycambrian.co.uk) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Coventry - second Weds of the month, 6.30pm, Litten Tree, Coventry (contact andyjone) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Derby - 9.30am to 12.30pm, Derby Friends Meeting House, St Helens Street, Derby (Contact jonathan_simcock_7) - 2020 dates until June, 07/03, 04/04, 02/05, 06/06.

Dolgellau - TWICE MONTHLY, 1st and last Weds of the month, 7.30pm, Cross Keys, Dolgellau (Contact gerpsych)

Dorridge - 2nd Mon of the month, 7.30pm, The Forest Hotel, Dorridge (Contact Aled James)

Exeter - See the SSiW forum for the latest dates and locations - usually Saturdays 2pm, in the café in the Exeter Central Library. (Contact steffan-parry)

Gloucester & Cheltenham - 2nd Weds of the month, 7.30pm, The Bell, Shurdington Rd, Shurdington GL51 4XQ (Contact nic) - no meet-up Wednesday 11th of March, because the Cheltenham Races

Hobart, Tasmania - 1st Weds of the month, 1.30pm, ‘Brookfield’, 1640 Channel Highway, Margate (Contact guynicholson)

Herts/ Beds/ Bucks - See the SSiW forum for the latest dates and locations - usually Roots Cafe, 22a High Street, Chesham HP5 1EP (contact catriona)

Leicester - FORTNIGHTLY, Weds, 6.30pm, Bru Café (upstairs), 20-22 Granby St, Leicester LE1 1DE (Contact Linda)

Leeds - 2nd Sat of the month (from Jan 2020), 11.30am, the bar of the Queen’s Hotel, at the end of the railway station building opposite the statue of the Black Prince across the road. (Contact yorkshireend)

London (Llundain) – Llon-dain - The Touring London Meet Up - Llon-dain - The Touring London Meet Up 5 - usually every 2 months, location TBC (Contact peterallen)

London (Llundain) - St Pancreas meet-up - regularly once a month, usually Sundays at 12.15pm in Pret a Manager, St Pancras. The meetings aren’t fixed dates but around once a month. (See the SSiW forum for the latest dates and locations or contact MarcusWhitfield, or via WhatsApp on 07553387291)

Llandysul - 3rd Weds of the month, 7.45pm to 9.15pm, The Porth, Llandysul (Contact Deborah-SSiW) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Machynlleth - 2nd Sat of the month, 10.30am, Caffi Alys, Maengywn St, Machynlleth (Contact helenlindsay) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Manchester (Manceinion) - 3rd Sat of the month, 10.30am, Café Siop Shop, 53 Tib St, M4 1LS (Contact jeanbrandwood)

Milton Keynes - first Thurs of the month, 6pm to 7.30pm, Ye Olde Swan, Newport Rd, Woughton-on-the-Green, MK6 3BS (Contact anncarolynjones)

New England, USA - 4th Sat of the month, 10:30am - 12 noon at Panera Bread, Evergreen Walk, 100 Hemlock Ave, South Windsor, CT (Contact SusanDavies) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Norfolk - ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE - Thurs, 7.30 - 9.15pm, King’s Head, Norwich St, East Dereham, NR19 1AD (Contact Maynard)

Penybont - 1st Sat of the month, 10.30am, Thomas Shop, Penybont, Radnorshire (Contact robbruce)

Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr (Bridgend) – 2nd Sat of the month, 10am, upstairs at Il Panino, 1 Market St, CF31 1LL (Contact dryw-bach)

Port Talbot - FORTNIGHTLY, Mon, 6.30pm, 02/03-16/03-30/03-13/04/27/04 (and so on) The Twelve Knights Hotel, Margam Rd, Port Talbot SA13 2DB (Contact carin-harris) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Rugby - 3rd Sat of the month, 10:30am, Dobbies Garden Centre, Straight Mile, Bourton-on-Dunsmore, Coventry, CV23 9QQ (Contact alice9 or andyjone) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Sheffield - 2nd Sat of the month, 1pm, Hagglers Café, Queens Rd, S2 4DU (Contact hilary_coveney)

Shotton - TWICE A MONTH, 1st & 3rd Thurs, 7pm to 9pm, Groves Community and Social Club, 29 Bridge St, Shotton, Connah’s Quay, Deeside CH5 1DU (Contact richard-pooley)

Shrewsbury (Amwythig) - 1st & 3rd Thurs of the month, 7.30pm, Wild Pig Hotel, Amwythig, SY3 9JT (Contact bryanroberts) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Sussex/Hants/Surrey (CACEN group), 2nd Sat of the month, 1pm to 4pm, Location varies - see the SSiW forum for regularly updated info (Contact markwatkinprice)

Thornbury - last Weds of the month (not Dec), 2.30pm, Hawkes House, Saint Mary Street,Thornbury, Bristol BS35 2AB (Contact PhilgJones)

Torfaen - (FORTNIGHTLY) - Next meeting 12th March, 7.00pm to 9pm, The Upper Cock, The Highway, Croesyceiliog, Cwmbrân, Gwent, NP44 2HE (Contact ji_1)

Washington D.C. - 1st Sat of the month, 10.30am to 12pm, Teaism at Penn Quarter, 400 8th St NW, Washington DC, 20004 (Contact tahl)

Y Barri (Barry) - 3rd Thurs of the month, 10.30am to 11.30pm, Sir Samuel Romilly (Weatherspoons), Broad St in Barry (Contact Arianrhod) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Y Fenni (Abergavenny) (Clwb Brecwast Y Fenni / Abergavenny Breakfast Club) - 2nd Saturday of every month, 9am - 10:30am. Meet in the Trading Post (1st floor) (Contact joshua@menterbgtm.cymru) - CURRENTLY ON HOLD/POSTPONED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Y Groeslon (Groeslon) - 1st Fri of the month, 7pm, Neuadd Y Groeslon (Contact JustineAbbott)

Ystradgynlais - 2nd Thurs of the month, 8pm to 9pm, Gough Arms (Café Chameleon), Ystradgynlais, SA9 1ES (Contact geraintwynroberts)

4 Likes

A very prudent and timely update if I may say so. Thanks to you and the organisers who have taken this step which others may soon follow.

I suspect that Slack, WSP etc. will now come into their own. :smile:

3 Likes

I agree: being entirely logical about it, we have the technology to converse in alternative ways so, for now, why not make use of it?

3 Likes

Unbeknownst to everyone else (having kept it off the forum) a group of 19 like-minded Welsh speakers were due to spend a week in bootcamp style at the end of April.

Today we’ve made the heartbreaking decision to cancel … all them months of planning and organising unravelled in a depressingly short amount of time because of this. I’m gutted but I think it’s absolutely the correct decision.

Stay safe.

13 Likes

Am drueni, G. That’s harsh. You and your cydbwtcampwyr have my sympathy.
Thank you for posting this. It’s becoming increasingly clear that such hard decisions will have to be made more and more in the coming weeks and months.

Let no-one say this is panicking - it is considerate and responsible common sense.

6 Likes

(Don’t understand this as act of panic, please) Corona is on the rise everywhere and not just in UK so it maybe would be wise to stop all activities (“real-life” meetups) until it gets less “wild”. I think this kind of deceision would be only logical and responsible deed. (just saying)

Stay safe everyone.

3 Likes

From my experience in a full country in lockdown I would say:

IF every individual here had adopted a few basic responsible behaviour guidelines since the beginning, we quite certainly would not find ourselves in this situation now.

The way information is being given didn’t seem to help, because people tend to: either ignore the problem, without changing their habits a bit, and therefore spreading the virus at supersonic speed (also because most “spreaders” show very little or no symptoms).
Or panic, therefore doing weird thing and often taking counterproductive actions.

But fact is that the earlier people start taking this seriously and just consider it high priority in everyday life, the easiest it is to get rid of it.

One way to put it I find easy to explain and remember is:
if 100% of people self-quarantined themselves for 2 weeks starting today, virus would basically stop spreading in just about 2 weeks!
Of course it is a theoretical situation and there would still be people recovering for some time after that - but just to have an idea to tend to.

In the real world:

• If everybody showing even light symptoms or having traveled (especially to big international cities and by public transport) or been in crowded places avoided contacts with other people as colse as possible to zero, for 14 days and/or got tested
  • everybody reduced movements and contact with other people and any type of crowded/shared spaces to the least possible (= only basic necessity, not leasure) for 14 days
  • everybody followed basic hygiene rules (widely known by now, I believe)

…it would make such a huge difference.

You still have the chance to do much better than us, please be smarter and do it!

p.s. note: this is a few ideas based on my experience and the information I can find here, it’s not professional official medical advice.

8 Likes

I’ve a friend working for Byd Ar Bedwar a current affairs programme who would like to talk to a Welsh speaking Italian about their experiences in dealing with the coronavirus situation in Italy.

Would you be happy to talk to her @gisella-albertini?

1 Like

Thanks, they’ve actually already found me! :smiley:
(not the same person, since it was a man and I already gave them a full update via Skype, in English to start with - as for the Welsh part I have to figure out if I’m able to talk about such a complicated matter,but we’re in touch and I’m already forwarding all other contacts of Welsh speakers I have so hopefully it will work out!)

5 Likes

These are wise and helpful thoughts, Gisella. Grazie tanto
You and your fellow country men and women are very much in my thoughts at the moment as I’m sure they are with many of our SSi community

5 Likes

Between the floods and the snow and the virus, it seems I’m barely to be allowed out of my house this year. The list of missed Welsh-language events is mounting. Thank heavens for Skype, and those kind and patient people who suffer me electronically!

(Perhaps this is a good time to do an extra-special promotion for WLP?)

3 Likes

WLP?? - Typo for WSP?

That’s what I meant! What the heck is WLP? :joy:
Welsh Language Practice? Welsh Laughing Practice? Word Location Practice, perhaps - I could do with some of that!

(Very kind of you to cal it a typo, btw @HuwJones. I’m afraid it was a braino.)

2 Likes

…… and, whenever I am fortunate to have that pleasure myself it inspires me to sing abandonly afterwards. Though it is generally Max Boyce like songs such as ‘Duw it’s hard, yes it’s hard, it’s harder than they will ever know’!

3 Likes

You’ll note I only thanked the ‘kind and patient’ people… :wink:

4 Likes

I have updated the information in this thread, to include the latest information from the government.

1 Like

After reading the April Bootcamp thread (still going ahead at the moment) I found myself thinking about our “bŵtcamp” cancellation in the north. The vast majority of the “gofid-19” (19 people feeling grief and sorrow. :thinking: :roll_eyes: :wink: sorry @Isata, I couldn’t resist) are still adamant that we’ve taken the correct course of action for the health and wellbeing of each other and others around us. We will be rebooking but not until the situation vastly improves for us in the UK and for those visiting from overseas.

I must say though that one of the driving factors in making the decision at the time was that the final payment for our accomodation was due today. So, do we be wise and lose £41 each now or take the risk and lose £123 each plus possible travel tickets, etc. that would come with a last minute cancellation. That’s maybe something that the Tresaith crew won’t have to deal with, I don’t know.

6 Likes

Paid â ymddiheuro! The world deserves to hear that pun, Geraint. My only disappointment is that I didn’t think of it first. :frowning:

2 Likes

I don’t get it :disappointed::confused: