Meaning of 'Mae'

I find that hard to believe. Are you sure this wasn’t just an unsubstantiated rumour or misunderstanding going around? It doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

Could, maybe, @garethrking check what is going on? (Pretty please!) It reminds me of the short-sighted idea of teaching Initial Teaching Alphabet. It got kids reading, but they couldn’t read all the books in ordinary print - very limiting, and then they had to learn the ordinary alphabet and un-learn ITA!!!’ Look and say’ seemed daft to me too, as it made it as hard as Chinese! Letters, especially in a phonetic language like Cymraeg, are so much easier to deal with! But if your language grew like Topsy and took from lots of others, so its spelling is full of inconsistencies, inventing a ‘learning alphabet’ does not really help! (sorry - descending from soapbox!) :smile:

1 Like

Not sure that poor Gareth King is in any position to check what’s going on in “some”, unidentified schools!

6 Likes

I thought it was at least at County level that such things were decided. Curriculum boards at National level, or at least Gogledd or De. For adults, how are curricula for Sylfaen, Uwch or whatever decided?

I’ll just nuke them all. It’s the only way to be sure…

6 Likes

Having said that, for that short period, my mother taught it and one of my sisters learnt it. OK, I thought it was weird, and couldn’t understand the stuff that I had a sneaky peek at. However, it all seemed to work out in the long run. I’m not condoning it, though.

I had friends with young children who thought I was terribly clever to be able to read the peculiar words inthe newspaper and my books, and did not understand why I read their books so slowly to them! i had learned to read at about 2-3 by looking when my Mam read and asking her “How does it say that?” it seemed unfair that these kids could not learn from ‘real’ books! I read my dad’s school histpry book when I was about 5! He’d had it at the Grammar School at about 12!

1 Like