Making purchases in the iOS app

Hi. I have downloaded the SSISpanish app for iphone and completed the first 5 exercises. When I try to download exercise 6 the icon shows it is downloading but when i go to the courses page instead of a percent completed it simply says -2700. I have not purchased exercise six yet but thought attempting to download it would prompt me to. The same error can be recreated with any exercise or listening practice after the first 5 and the first 1 respectively. Thank you for any help anyone can provide in this.

1 Like

Thanks very much for bringing this in here, Nalis - I’m tagging @lewie who is our hugely generous iOS volunteer… :slight_smile:

Nalis:

Please try restarting the app (double tap home, and flick up on the SSiS app to quit it). Please let me know if the problem persists.

1 Like

Thank you Aran for informing Lewie. Lewie I tried restarting the app. After that instead of saying its downloading(and not) I now receive a pop up that says “unable to connect to the iTunes Store please try again later”. I have tried deleting and redownloaded other exercises and those are able to download fine.

1 Like

Ok, so you obviously have a good internet connection. If you go to the App Store app, does it report any problems about being unable to connect with the iTunes Store? It could just be a temporary glitch with the store - you might try again tomorrow. But let me know what you find out either way.

1 Like

I am able to complete other App Store actions such as downloading other apps and even downloading exercises 1-5 of ssiSpanish. Sorry for my slow response and thank you for being so helpful. I will try again tomorrow as instructed

1 Like

I also had this problem. If you go onto the SSiS website not using the iOS app and purchase challenges on there, you can then download them on the app.

2 Likes

Great tip, Will, thanks for sharing… :slight_smile:

Thank you I will make the purchase online. I hope that you are able to fix this in the future for other students as I knew I could purchase on your site but was hoping to pay with iTunes Store credit. Thanks for all the helpful amswers

1 Like

Thank you so much for letting us know, Nalis - hugely appreciate it, and very sorry that you couldn’t pay the most convenient way this time.

I’m working on tracking down the problem, and working with Apple to figure out why we’re getting picked on :wink: (it appears to be a problem originating on Apple’s side, but often when you blame someone else, you end up with egg on your face, so I’ll keep an open mind …). Hopefully we’ll get this resolved soon.

1 Like

Thank you. Please let me know when/if you figure something out with apple as my card is not working on the website(an issue of my own, not a site problem) so I will wait to purchase through the app. Side note to Aran have you thought about adding paypal as a payment option through the website?

1 Like

A guy at Apple reports that there was indeed a problem with app store purchases, and it has been resolved. From my testing, this appears to be the case (I was able to successfully do a test purchase and download), but your mileage may still differ - so give it a go, and let me know what happens. You might start from a clean slate (quit and re-start the app).

Oh - I am also testing using the very latest version, which by chance just went live (although it may take a few hours to propagate). So even if it still doesn’t work for you straight away, it’ll be worth trying again after downloading the latest version.

2 Likes

Yes, this is on my wishlist - we originally took Paypal for our Welsh subscriptions, but they were a permanent pain in the neck and eventually we moved to a different solution - but for one-off payments we really ought to offer a Paypal option. Once our dev has finished the current build of the course creation tool… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry for my terribly slow response but I’ve only had access to a phone as I recently been traveling. After your work with apple I still encounter the “unable to connect please try again later” when I try to purchase new exercises. Additionally since your work to fix that I am now unable to login on the ios app. It still says I’m logged in on the settings page but when I try to post in the forum I am told I must login. It prompts my credentials and I log in. Then when I try to post it prompts login again. This seems like it must be some unique problem for me since you’ve already fixed it so whenever/if paypal becomes an option on the website again please let me know so I can continue learning spanish. Thank you for all the work you have both done to try and fix this issue.

Arghgghgh! Looks as though we’re running into a bit of The Internet’s Revenge here…:wink:

I’m going to tag @lewie again so that he gets to see this - and in the meantime, I’m going to ping our dev Ifan and ask him to set your account up with access to the rest of Level 1 as our apology for the hiccupy time you’ve had with it (and a thank you for letting us know).

That should mean that you have access on the website later on today, and access on the app as soon as we can figure out what’s going wrong for you at the moment…:slight_smile:

I gather that should be fine for you now… :slight_smile:

Uh oh. It must be Monday. I see the problem with logging into the forum. As a side note, the latest release was completely unrelated to the purchase problem, just a coincidence that it came out right then.

So, the good news is that the forum and the lessons are actually two separate websites, and the problem in the app appears to only be with the forum. This means that you should be able to access your lessons in the app even if the forum login isn’t working. So go ahead and try to download lesson 6, and let me know how it goes.

2 Likes

I identified the problem the Forum login, and that is now fixed. The update should appear in a few days. But note, that you don’t need to wait for that update to gain access to your Level 1 Challenges, since the problem only affected the Forum.

Still working on the in-app purchase problem. I’ve sent you a PM asking for additional details that will hopefully help us sort it out.

2 Likes

Thank you very much @Aran please let me know by pm or email when I can pay you for that to help support this great resource.

@lewie thanks for you continued help on this I’ll be sure to check that message.

2 Likes