Magicians - the language learning RPG

Just thought I’d draw people’s attention to a little thing I rather liked the look of, by a Canadian living in Korea. It’s a tabletop RPG, where magic is performed using words in a foreign language (it’s designed around Korean, but it could be reasonably modified to use other languages). Since games are typically a pretty good means teaching things (you forget that you’re meant to be learning things when you’re having fun doing something else), I wondered if someone a little more knowledgeable/industrious than I might like to do something with it.

It’s available as a pdf on drivethroughRPG.com for a relatively low price, and the pdf for modifying it is available for free, so I thought someone might be interested.

That’s such a cool idea! And how fun that could be at a meetup! If someone else works with it, my husband and I’d love to beta test. :wink:

Hector, thank you so much for that link - I’ve been thinking in this kind of direction for a long time, and had a few really interesting chats with different people - I’m going to go and take a very close look at this, so diolch yn fawr iawn iawn…:slight_smile:

Um… Hector, what’s it called? There seems to be a huge amount of stuff on there, and nothing is leaping out at me as being the one we’re talking about!

I have wondered about doing something obscenely geeky like trying to play MTG through Welsh (there’s not much speaking involved, as long as I could work out what ‘points of damage’ is :)), but I rather suspect my Bridgend Meetup fellows would find it less amusing than me!

Aran, the name is “Magicians: Language Learning RPG.”

Fantastic, Joanie, diolch o galon! :got:

As a regular Dungeon Master in D&D games, I will have to check this out, but I was unable to find the “modifying the game” PDF. Any clue where it can you downloaded from? The thought of a Welsh version is appealing…

Hwyl,

Stu

Here’s the Kickstarter update where the “Hacking Magicians” pdf was released (it’s an update anyone can read):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1858774754/magicians-a-language-learning-rpg/posts

stu said: As a regular Dungeon Master in D&D games, I will have to check this out, but I was unable to find the “modifying the game” PDF. Any clue where it can you downloaded from? The thought of a Welsh version is appealing…

@ Stu- OSRIC is a free, downloadable role-playing game which is compatible with Dungeons and Dragons. (1st edition, that is!)

I don’t know if I’m stepping over some sort of line here, but it seems - well, more than just “compatible” if you see what I mean!
It’s something to do with an “open gaming license” introduced by WoTC, but I don’t pretend to understand all the details.
I think if someone were prepared to spend the time, it could simply be translated into Welsh [edit- and made available!] perfectly legally.

I know where I could ask a few questions of people who would know the details- would you like me to try and find out?

Thanks Hector, I have the PDF from the Kickstarter page now. The game itself is far too “indie” for me, but I quite like the idea of creating my own game in Welsh, in which you play young druids and bards to be, in a modern day Cymru beset by incursions from the Celtic Otherworld, in places where the veil between the worlds has worn thin (a bit like Torchwood, but with magic).

And thanks Owain. I am familiar with OSRIC and the other OSR games out there, and have quite a few of them. Our current game of choice is Pathfinder, which also sprang from the Open Gaming License.

Hwyl,

Stu

To be honest, I’m of the same opinion - still, the ideas presented can be introduced to other games, which is the main reason I picked up the game.

@Stu

That sounds like loads of fun!

Geeky, but I enjoy it! Got a game tonight actually…

I was just thinking the other day that it would be neat if there were a Welsh language community on World of Warcraft. You see plenty of other European languages being used

stu said: I am familiar with OSRIC and the other OSR games out there, and have quite a few of them.

Ah, good good! So does the idea of Welsh translation interest you? Or as someone involved in this sort of thing, do you think there would be too little interest in such a thing to make it worthwhile?

Owain: do you think there would be too little interest in such a thing to make it worthwhile?

This probably, for anything remotely mainstream (RPGs are pretty niche as it stands). I really like the idea of using these kinds of games to support language learning though…

Stu

stu said: I really like the idea of using these kinds of games to support language learning though…

That’s really what I was asking about! Forgive my lack of clarity. Was wondering if you think that there would be enough demand for it to be useful as as a language learning aid, seeing as it seems the copyright issue could be worked round.

Anyhow, sounds like you have already answered! Ta!

Ooh, will have to look into this. Sounds interesting. I’m not a D&D fan personally, but am very interested in game-based learning as a general area. Diolch hectorgrey.

I can picture an RPG scenario where the character you’re playing finds themselves somewhere where the only language spoken is Welsh and they need to get by…