Mae gen i

Is this used in both north and south and is it generally the way you would always say you have something?

1 Like

In the south we tend to say ā€œmae gyda fiā€ or just ā€œmae 'da fiā€.

4 Likes

in the sense of possess somethingā€¦

Yes, like ā€˜Iā€™ve got soup for dinnerā€™. Is ā€˜Mae gyda fi cawl i ginioā€™ right?

Iā€™d use cael for that. Fiā€™n cael cawl i ginio - Iā€™m having cawl for lunch.

I suppose you could say Mae 'da fi gawl, ac bydda iā€™n ei gael i ginio - Iā€™ve got soup and Iā€™ll be having it for lunch.

3 Likes

I 'm having cawl for lunch is a lot easier to remember

Another question about ā€œmae gen iā€ :slight_smile: a very usefull form, and about which there is something very surprising (for me, at least !) in challenge 4 (north)

At, time 5 : 50, Aran says ā€œIthe cymraeg for Iā€™ve got, which is of course very different from Iā€™ve got to, is mae gen iā€.
I of course agree that both forms " Iā€™ve got" and " 've got to" are very different in their meaning
There is iindeed a difference of meaning between ā€œIā€™vve got a bookā€ and ā€œ;Iā€™ve got to read a bookā€ :
the first form (verb + object of the action which is not a verb) indicates a sort of ā€œownershipā€, possession (or absence of possession).
The second form (verb + object of the action whih is a verb) indicates a sort of duty, of obligation.

So, beeing anounced the form"Iā€™ve got" (and beeign insisted on the fact that it is very different from ā€œIā€™ve got toā€ ) I was expecting practising sentences as ā€œIā€™ve got breadā€ , ā€œIā€™ve got a bookā€, , etc, (indicating the ā€œpossessionā€) but, surprise : all sentences are using the ā€œ;got toā€ meaning (duty) :" Iā€™ve got to learn welsh now" ," Iā€™ve got something to say", etc.

Well, maybe both ā€œIā€™ve gotā€ are both ā€œmae gen iā€ in welsh ? But in challenge 4 the fact of beeing said that both forms are ā€œvery differentā€ (and they are, indeed) , makes that you are surprised to be anounced one form (Iā€™ve got"), and to be used the other one. (Iā€™ve got to)

Or maybe Aran was joking ?. In this cas Iā€™m asking a ridiculous question :roll_eyes:. By chance, ridicule would not kill. Well, not sure ! But not this kind of ridicule )

1 Like

Without listening to the Challenges. I think as you say, ā€œIve got toā€ is an informal way of saying ā€œI mustā€, so ā€œMae rhaid i miā€. Or possibly ā€œI need toā€: ā€œDwiā€™n angenā€.

I donā€™t think that Aran was joking, although maybe you could argue that he overstated the difference: I think that itā€™s a construction that English-speaking learners of Welsh often tend to get wrong, so he wanted to emphasise it. [Edited to add: short version ā€“ I think thereā€™s a difference in French between Jā€™ai Ć  chanter une chanson and Jā€™ai une chanson Ć  chanter, basically. There certainly is in English between ā€œI have to sing a songā€ and ā€œI have a song to sing.ā€]

Iā€™ve just had a listen to the section in question, and what I think is happening is this:

Youā€™ve got a series of examples of (Mae) rhaid i mi ā€“ such as Rhaid i mi ddweud rhywbeth (ā€œI need to say somethingā€) ā€“ or you could, for example, have Rhaid i mi ddarllen llyfr (ā€œI need to read a bookā€). We could think of this as Je dois dire quelque chose or Il faut que je dise qqch.

Youā€™re then told that ā€œIā€™ve gotā€ (ā€œI haveā€, Jā€™ai) is quite different, and is Mae gen i, but a lot of the examples arenā€™t just Mae gen i lyfr (ā€œIā€™ve got a bookā€, Jā€™ai un livre), theyā€™re much more like Mae gen i rywbeth iā€™w ddweud (ā€œIā€™ve got something to sayā€, Jā€™ai qqch Ć  dire).

So I think the thing in English ā€“ and also, I think, in French, which is why I keep giving you French examples even though I know you can read the English ones ā€“ is that the position of the ā€˜bookā€™ or the ā€˜somethingā€™ in the sentence makes a big difference to the meaning, which is what Aran wants to get across.

To my mind ā€œIā€™ve got to do somethingā€ could be a vague, helpless statement ā€“ I feel trapped in this difficult situation, I need to do something about it, but I just donā€™t know what: Il faut que je fasse quelque chose (mais je ne sais pas quoi faire) ā€“ and I think that would work in Welsh as Rhaid i mi wneud rhywbeth (ond dwiā€™m yn gwybod beth).

On the other hand, ā€œIā€™ve got something to doā€ means I shouldnā€™t be sitting down reading the forum when thereā€™s washing-up to do; ā€œIā€™ve got something to sayā€ means I have a specific point I want to make. Jā€™ai quelque chose Ć  dire feels to me as though it implies something a bit more specific than Il faut que je dise quelque chose (mais je ne sais pas quoi dire). Am I right in thinking that Jā€™ai quelque chose Ć  dire, mais je ne sais pas quoi dire would sound a bit odd in French?

Similarly, Il faut que je lise un livre (ā€œIā€™ve got to read a bookā€) feels less specific, less concrete (Est-ce que vous pouvez mā€™en recommender un de bon? ā€“ ā€œCan you recommend a good one?ā€) than Jā€™ai un livre Ć  lire (ā€œIā€™ve got a book to readā€, Je lā€™ai dĆ©jĆ  ou il y en a un en particulier quā€™il me faut). So, Mae gen i lyfr iā€™w ddarllen as opposed to just Rhaid i mi ddarllen llyfr.

Interestingly (well, to me :slight_smile:) the future tense in Romance languages comes from the same sort of construction in Vulgar Latin: je chanterai is basically jā€™ai Ć  chanter, je dois chanter (et donc je vais le faire) ā€“ which is why the singular endings all look exactly like avoir ā€“ -ai, -as, -a etc.

Please do tell me if Iā€™ve misunderstood the question, or got my French badly/unhelpfully wrong; and Iā€™m sure others will step in if Iā€™ve got my Welsh wrong!

2 Likes

Il faut que je fasse quelque chose

Excellent use of the subjunctive :clap::+1:

3 Likes

I remember saying to a French friend that it was hard to use sarcasm in a second language, because people werenā€™t expecting me to say something that I didnā€™t mean, and she offered me the useful phrase Ils ne sā€™attendaient pas a ce que je tentasse mā€™exprimer ainsi, but I think she said that if I attempted to actually use the past subjunctive in spoken French Iā€™d sound beyond pretentiousā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s impossible using sarcasm speaking to other English speakers sometimes. Americans just donā€™t get it for example.

Americans just donā€™t get it for example.

Iā€™d be doubtful about that generalisation but Big Bangā€™s Sheldon certainly seems to struggle with it. :laughing:

2 Likes

Yes, what Richard saidā€¦ :slight_smile:

Funny discussion, from a very serious and troubled post ! When U wrote it, I put some example in french, thinking "maybe Richard will come here ans answer with an as long answer than my qusetions, but so much precise !!! :smiley:
But I took off my french examples : too long message !!!

Well, Iā€™m happy to see that my sense of humour is not dead, if I could notice that MAYBE Aran was joking !

Richard, very very very interesting, I could argue a lot around those nuances xometimes very very thin, given vy just the place of the words . (I really love !) And what about f the unsing of the comma, which may change a whole sense of a sentence.

Itā€™s true that ā€œjā€™ai un livre Ć  lireā€ is not the same that ā€œjā€™ai Ć  lire un livreā€. But youā€™ll now hardly hear people ssaying ā€œjā€™ai Ć  lire un livreā€, it would sound ā€œold fashionedā€ (as my english). ā€œJā€™ai Ć  lire un livreā€ would be now said ā€œil faut que je lise un livreā€ or "ce "livre if you have to read a special book.
Anyway, youā€™ll find this old way of saying in a still very alive expression which is : ā€œjā€™ai Ć  faireā€ and also ā€œjā€™ai mieux Ć  faireā€
True alos that ā€œIā€™ve something to sayā€ sounds different from ā€œIā€™ve to say somethingā€, but concerning my question, I was refeering to the form of sentences without any verb (except ā€œIā€™ve gotā€), because thatā€™s what Aran seemed to suggest in his introduction.Sentences as ā€œIā€™ve got breadā€, ā€œIā€™ve got newsā€.
Which does not impeeed that I find very very very interesting your whole post. Great ! Are you a philolog ? Do you know Jorn Albrecht in Germany ?

Oooooops, Iā€™m late to go to work !!! Hurry up, MC !!!
But not without saying that : true, le plus que parfait du subjonctif, or even this poor simple imparfait du subjonctif, are now a joking use.
Iā€™vve GOT TO go now !!! I donā€™t read again, Iā€™m agraid of the errors Iā€™ll let !

1 Like

5comoing back) : Richard, of course you ARE a philolog, in the etimological sense of the term, but what I was asking is : you were working with languages as a professional.

Well, yes ā€“ thatā€™s why the comparison between jā€™ai Ć  chanter une chanson and jā€™ai une chanson Ć  chanter didnā€™t occur to me until the very end, because jā€™ai Ć ā€¦ is osmething I just wouldnā€™t say.

But yes, effectively:
Mae gen i lyfr = Jā€™ai un livre
Mae gen i lyfr iā€™w ddarllen = Jā€™ai un livre Ć  lire
Rhaid i mi ddarllen llyfr = Il faut que je lise un livre

The thing is that the jā€™ai Ć  = ā€œIā€™ve got toā€ construction is very, very common in English, so English-speaking learners tend to mix these up; and then then thereā€™s another word cael, which means various things including puis-je or puis-je avoir that gets mixed in there as well. Speaking French and Breton, itā€™s not that you wonā€™t make mistakes, itā€™s just that theyā€™ll be different mistakes :slight_smile:
And in answer to your question: I love languages, but I mostly teach maths; I studied Old English, but my parents have lived in the Languedoc for about 30 years and have just got French nationality. Iā€™m a serious amateur philologueā€¦

1 Like

Richard wrote :
" But yes, effectively:
Mae gen i lyfr = Jā€™ai un livre
Mae gen i lyfr iā€™w ddarllen = Jā€™ai un livre Ć  lire"

So Richard : Iā€™ld better have ignored Aran caution, and we would not have had this discussion. I created problems (to myself) for no reason.

Welcome to your parents, but In fact, they are just coming back, if you think of the english (and surely a bit welsh, in the army) past of the region

ā€¦ And this leads me to speak about a famous Bordeaux wine (itā€™s not Languedoc, I know, but youā€™ll understand) : whose name is Calon Segur.
The castle in itself was built during the english Aquitaine epoca.
Locally they say that the name comes from a small traditional boat (but I canā€™t find the very well hidden name ! ) there was on the Gironde.
But, when you notice that above the old main door of the castle, there are 2 harts (from this time old) ā€œcalonā€ in welsh as in breton, with a K for our part) you canā€™t avoid thinking that this place could maybe have been property of a Welsh man in the english army at that time (there maybe were I suppose ?)
Afterwards, you imagine a beautiful love story, leading to those 2 harts he put on his castle main doorā€¦
Well, it seems to me much more credible than the boat storyā€¦ No ?
The two harts are even on the bottles, they are their logo.

I wrote to the people there, just to speak about this hipothesis (maybe totally wrong) but the castle (and the wine) is chinese now, they donā€™t care at all of historyā€¦

See to what kind of discussion the ā€œIā€™ve gotā€ leads !

Wales could intent a trial to recover the wine property ! :smiley:

(post edited because of probllems with the ā€œquote blockā€)

1 Like

Fiā€™n caelā€¦ definitely sounds more user friendly and less cumbersome if youā€™re saying something like Iā€™m having soup for dinner. Would you use tiā€™n, mae hiā€™n etc in a similar way for that type of statement?

yes, you would :slight_smile: - see how the method is building extra pathways already?! :smiley:

1 Like