Lord’s Prayer

My wife and I have just restarted the challenges after a twelve month break. We’re loving it and are racing ahead of the weekly lessons. We’ve just started Challenge 11.
We specially enjoyed learning the National Anthem. One of our main opportunities to hear and speak Welsh is in Church. Any chance of giving similar treatment to the Lord’s Prayer as you gave so well to the National Anthem? If this doesn’t appeal, can you suggest another on line resource that might help with this?
Diolch yn fawr Iawn.
Chris

2 Likes

Hi Chris - that would be quite a tricky one for us, actually, mainly because of the challenge of getting the various parts to work in multiple constructions (without even addressing the different versions - I’d be worried about upsetting someone!) - but there’s a lovely reading (with text) which I hope will help you here: Learn how to say The Lord's Prayer in Welsh. Beth am ddysgu Gweddi'r Arglwydd? - YouTube

Great to hear you’re doing so well with the course! Pob lwc :slight_smile: :star2:

Hi Chris,
Here are two videos I hope you’ll find helpful.
In the spoken version, the Lord’s Prayer (Gweddi’r Arglwydd) is spoken very clearly, at various speeds and with both English & Welsh text line by line. The advantage of that is that you learn what each phrase means. I learnt the Lord’s Prayer in Welsh ‘parrot fashion’ as a schoolboy (a very long time ago) but I didn’t at that time know what each phrase meant.
Unusually, at least in my experience, his penultimate phrase is “a’r gallu, a’r gogoniant.” It’s more commonly “a’r nerth, a’r gogoniant.”
In the sung version, the tenor (a professional singer) enunciates very clearly.

Pob lwc a phob bendith.

Ein Tad (Spoken)
Gweddi’r Arglwydd (Sung)

Re “a’r gallu” vs “a’r nerth.”
I’ve been told that Anglicans tend to use the former and chapel people the latter. I go to a bilingual chapel near Oxford Circus in London.