Looking for a table/overview with all verb tenses

Helo pawb!

I’m quite new to SSi, but looked for and found good answers in this forum for a while now. Up to now i mainly used a well known bird app and a real world course to learn (until lockdown…).

What i’m really missing is an overview of verbs and tenses and i hope someone here may can help. My intention is not to learn everything myndlessly by heart, but to see where/what i’m learning at the moment, and how to “classify” things i stumble upon while reading etc.

In all the tables and lists i find there always seem to be missing cases - which might be obvious for advanced learners, but not for me at least :confused:

For example, it’s easy to find affirmative, negative, and interrogative forms, but how on earth do i ask a negative question? Wyt ti ddim isio coffi? Dwyt ti didim isio coffi? This “D” might not be important while speaking, but why is this form simply ignored in any table? Do welsh people never ask negative questions?!

Another example, after gathering from different examples i have for the simple past with aux gwneud + gweld:

(Mi) (w)nes I weld
(Mi) (w)nest ti weld
(Mi) (w)naeth hi weld
(Mi) (w)naethon ni weld
(Mi) (w)naethoch chi weld
(Mi) (w)naethon nhw weld

But then again i’m missing negative, interrogative, and negative interrogative. I could assume it’s all the same, but how can i know? Well, it would be great to have an overview to make sure!

So basically im desperately (!) looking for complete table/matrix with:

• for all pronouns: i, ti, hi/o, ni, hci, nhw
  • for all cases: positiv, negative, question, (negative question?!)
  • often ommited things indicated (e. g. in brackets)
  • in particular for all the countless past forms:
    – ®o(eddw)n i
    – (Mi) (w)nes I
    – ddaru i
    – welais i
    – etc.

Then, if i’d stumble on someone writing “ddaru i weld” i could simply see that this is just an alternative form/dialect/whatever, and for me i’d simply stick to “nes i weld” without googling for hours each time :wink:

So, is there a book or anything? I’m just not able to find all the information in any of my books or internet; which kind of is strange (in comparison to other languages i’ve learnd).

Hwyl fawr!

2 Likes

Hi @mopple-1

Personally I used Gareth King’s two short and plain speaking books Basic Welsh and Intermediate Welsh when I went through the course.

They are good because they have short and simple chapters about specific things…with examples.

The only slight snag with SSIW is that it has no respect for the usual order of things - so it does cut right across the two books fairly quickly! :smile:

Rich :slight_smile:

Image of books here

3 Likes

Thanks rich, i will have a look at these books once our local siop llifrau opens again…

So, you would say i’ll find such information as described quite easily therein? Not scattered over hundreds of pages? :crazy_face:

Hi @mopple-1

Well it would describe verbs - how they might be shortened to create stems - before adding an ending for a tense.

Then how each tense is used - and what the endings are for each - for I, you (singular), he, she etc, etc.

So it explains how tenses works - allowing you to put together a verb and an ending in your head - it lists the common verbs and endings (there would be a very large number of combinations snd permutations for all verbs and tenses with regional variations of which there are a few ).

There is a Modern Welsh dictionary - which does list endings by verb - if you look up the verb - if you are specifically looking for tables - picture below.

Obviously the dictionary is a dictionary (albeit one with a very good synopsis of Welsh grammar at the beginning) - whereas the books are an explanation of the features of the Welsh language. ( I do have both :wink: …but I found them useful at different stages).

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nicely battered copy, @rich ! :+1:

1 Like

…we’ve been been through a lot together that dictionary and I - if only it could talk…it’s saved my life on more than one occasion…

Rich :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like