Llon-dain - The Touring London Meet Up

Details for the next Llon-dain are now confirmed with a meet in Costa in Blackheath (turn left out of Blackheath station, stay on the same side of the road and it is about 100m away). I haven’t been to the Costa in Blackheath before but hopefully plenty of room.

We will meet at 2.00pm and leave about 2.30pm (or so) with a walk over Blackheath common, into Greenwich park at the top, down to the old Naval college where we will walk through the grounds and finish in the Gipsy Moth pub. Some of us may want to return to Central London via the Thames Clipper (on Oyster but I think about £7) which is a fun ride (better than the tourist boats as so fast, especially if you site outside at the back).

Look forward to seeing anyone that can make it. Contact me if you need more details or want to join us on the way (or at the end).

Looking forward to it!

Correction: The final destination will be the Gipsy Moth, not the Cutty Sark!!

I will be there

Some of the Llon-dainers at the Greenwich Meridian on a walk from Blackheath village to Greenwich village on Sunday.

2 Likes

Llon-dain is on the move again. On St David’s Day our current plan is to start at 2.00pm in a coffee shop (exact one to be decided) in Stratford (the London one) walk through the Olympic park, cross the river Lea and down to the Hertford Union canal which runs along Victoria park for some of its length then join up with the Regents canal before entering the noise of the Mile End Road for a short walk to a Welsh chapel that sells cheap beer (okay, a former Welsh chapel which in now a Wetherspoons). Not a long walk, just a couple of miles but we will take our time as we work out how to describe what we see in Welsh. All welcome and I have taken the liberty of connecting to anyone who has joined us before or shown an interest up to now (just discovered that only ten names can be put in on any one post so will triplicate this post)
@Richard636363 @KateM @AddiT @DiMatthews @elizabethliney @nigelh @betty-heath @micaela-bester @BenJamesRhys @david-44

4 Likes

@Catriona @MarcusWhitfield @jennysaville @Adamc @jackie-butler @VincentHomolka

@peterallen Is this open to everyone? I must admit I didn’t read through the whole thread, but saw some nice pictures. :slight_smile:
I mentioned it to my partner (who’s fluent,I however am still very new) and we’re both wanting to consider going, and meeting some welsh-speakers in London.

1 Like

Yes, its open to anyone so would be great to have you there. Where we meet will be decided a bit closer to the date but likely to be a Starbucks or Costa in the Stratford shopping centre before moving off for the walk. Mixture of levels of Welsh with some of us able to hold whole conversations in Welsh but still willing to help those just starting out. @MarcusWhitfield also organises a regular event in London so it is worth looking out for that too.

3 Likes

Hi Peter,

I hope to get to this event, last time I met you I had only done 3 months welsh. I’ve done 11 now so will be able to talk a little more. I recommend this walk to anyone, it’s a really freindly group of people who welcomed me as a begginer last year.

3 Likes

I am hoping to make this one. I had the bonus of randomly meeting a fellow-SSiW-er at a parkrun last Saturday, and we made some effort to converse in Welsh over breakfast in the rugby clubhouse after the run. I was encouraged that I wasn’t the only one who felt awkward and couldn’t remember much of how to say what I wanted to say! I think these meet-ups are extremely beneficial, even if one is a bit shy around a new group, like I am.

3 Likes

Looking forward to hearing you speak Welsh @david-44 . Exact starting location with be provided nearer the day. Weather forecast looks okay (at the moment).

2 Likes

I seem to have a free day that day. I’d love to join you

1 Like

Keep an eye out for the actual meeting point. Looking forward to meeting you.

Sounds like a pleasant way to celebrate Gwyl Dewi Sant, Peter. I would have loved to join you especially as you will be in my neck of the woods but I shall be in warmer climes.

Have a great holiday in the heat, your usual spot I assume? We’ll think of you when we pass the barges on the canal. Hwyl.

Looking forward to it !

Slight change from normal as I am not sure how easy it will be to find someone to meet inside Westfield, Stratford where it will be obvious who we are (if you have never come before) so I am suggesting what is on the flier below. Photo taken using Google Streets so hopefully it looks the same now as in this photographs!

This download is a little clearer -

Stratford Walk.pdf (3.1 MB)

Just a reminder about the Llon-dain walk tomorrow. Hopefully the meeting point makes sense on the map above (the downloadable PDF is clearer) which is on the west side of the shopping centre at ground floor level. I haven’t checked if this is suitable but it looks okay on Google Streets. Google also says it is about a three mile walk and can be done in an hour. We will probably take a little longer than that, particularly as the weather forecast for tomorrow has shifted from rain to sunny intervals.
Every standard of Welsh is welcome and no one will have a problem using a little bit of English to help on the way when needed. So, if you want to tell your friends and family that you spent St David’s Day speaking Welsh, see you there.

Just incase anyone else is, like me, not a townie. There are two westfield shopping centres in London, one in Shepherds Bush and the correct one in Stratford. Sorry if you all know, but it could be confusing

1 Like