Listening skills

Smae. Cwrs gwych, Iestyn a Cat. Sais dw i sydd licio cerdded yn Snowdonia. Felly, on i isio dysgu siarad yr iaith. Dw i wedi gorffen Lefel 3 yn SSiW, a rwan dw i’n gwrando ar yr Advanced Content efo’r trawsgrif. Ond mae hi’n anodd iawn. I fi, mae “large gap” rhwng Lefel 3 a Advanced Content. Rhyw cyngor, plis? Hwyl, Andy

1 Like

Hi Andy,
Good to see a fellow ‘advanced content’ listener on the forum.
I absolutely know what you mean - I thought about writing on the forum many times to say, “Surely there has been a mistake?!” :sweat_smile:
But, after persevering, you know what, it is absolutely working - I’ve gone from not understanding many (if any) sentences in the advanced pieces to understanding most, or at least a large proportion, with a little guidance from the typed documents.
It’s like slow-burn magic! - but it definitely takes time before you feel you are improving.
Hope you will understand why I’m replying in English, because of the conventions of the forum.

3 Likes

Thanks for that, Cwmdraegwn. Really encouraging. I will persevere! Andy

1 Like

And just seen note at top about writing in English - sorry!

1 Like

I don’t know if you’ve seen these. Maybe you can find inspiration, or at least see you’re in a good company! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, Gisella. Also helps to know I’m not on my own! Andy

Hi @Andy23

There is the option to have a little look through the content and pick out ones which are more straightforward to start with.

In particular the Deg Y Dysgwyr ones (see below) are a bit different and easier to understand. More generally flicking through them and finding ones that are a match in terms of dialect / speed would mean that you could start with something which is more straightforward.

Rich

Good advice, Rich. Diolch! I’ve just listened to one of the Deg Y Disgwyr and it’s much easier. So maybe I’m thinking I can hack this after all…

1 Like

I am sure you can either way @Andy23

The advanced content was a bit of shock to the system for me too - but, with no coincidence of course, it prompted me to learn the most too.

I did, for the first time with SSIW sit down with a pen in my hand and work through the transcripts, trying to do the translations myself (drawing on the translation provided as a last resort).

It was short term pain but big gain - a formative step. I now listen to Radio Cymru every day - understanding the vast majority. Keep up the good work!.

Rich :slight_smile: