Level 2 challenge 4 - 10m 20s in

around 10m 20s “Do you need anything else?” - can someone please write out what they’re saying - it’s using “chi” this time. Going too fast for me to understand- diolch! :smiling_face: oh diar- please add another 2- “I remember when you wanted to learn something else” and “I remember when our children were young” - I get the Dw i’n cofio but I’m going blank then.- really trying to get through the first few lessons of level 2 as even though I tried relating it to cats my “non-children” brain keeps switching off! Lesson 5 looks slightly better though :grin:

Do you need anything else - Felly, oes eisiau rhywbeth arall arnoch chi

I remember when you wanted to learn something else - Dwi’n cofio pan o’ch chi’n moyn dysgu rhywbeth arall (o’ch is a spoken contraction of oeddech chi)

I remember when our children were young - Dwi’n cofio pan oedd ein plant ni yn ifanc (oedd is also sometimes pronounced odd)

ah diolch- was getting myself in a right tizz last night! :grin: I’m not one of those who can just grasp something if we haven’t heard it before or can’t work out what’s being said. I was going to move on from challenge 4 after one attempt but think I’ll have to do the second part again. Thanks for doing those as I wouldn’t have got them otherwise- diolch yn fawr iawn!

1 Like

Not many people are! The thing is, when we hear new stuff, our brain goes “oh, that’s new, I don’t know where to store that”, and because we’re not used to learning as much with our ears, our eyes say “oh, give it to us, we’ll work it out”, which makes the ears think they can’t do it by themselves - but this method works on the basis that when it comes up again, your brain goes “oh, there’s that bit again”, and after a while it works out where to store it, and the ears get used to the patterns they hear which makes grasping words in real conversations (where the eyes can’t see the spellings!) come much easier.
That’s the idea behind the method, but of course it isn’t going to work for everyone because no single method ever does work for everyone, so my advice would be not to get too worked up when these bits happen and give in to your eyes demands too soon, then see how it goes :slight_smile: But keep it up, you’re doing really well!

1 Like

thanks - I’m on the postcard group so learning how to write it all too- is great actually as receiving cards has added new words to my vocab! But I get frustrated if I hear something but can’t make a note of it as I couldn’t catch what was said. I know it’s supposed to be done by listening only but I love writing and am really enjoying doing the cards. :smiling_face:

Another good place for you to ask for clarification is the 6/6 Support Slack group, @catherine-evans-3.

There is a channel related to where you are in the course - #level2-01-05 - and others that are in the same place will be able to give you a hand. They may have had similar issues :slight_smile:

hi there - thanks for that -is Slack like a zoom type of thing - need to check as I don’t have a video recorder / mike (I know I’m a dinosaur!) and I can’t watch moving images on computer screen due to Menieres?
Is the arna verb only used with a question about needing?

Yes, Slack is a platform for zoom-like meetings.

arna isn’t a verb, it’s a preposition (ar = on/upon) and it appears with eisiau (at least in South) to literally say “there is a need upon me”, which of course in English goes to “I need”, but it is also used elsewhere, for instance in a non-possessive sense of have/got, e.g. having a cold - mae na annwyd arnaf i (there is a cold upon me) = I’ve got a cold

ah diolch - just realised I should have known it wasn’t just for questions as I say “Mae M.E. arna i” - duh silly me. :crazy_face: I was just baffled as to why mae eisiau i fi , ti etc doesn’t have the arna but the sentence “do you need something else” does (level 2 lesson 4) or is it just an optional way of saying it?

No, we do post Zoom links there, but Slack itself is static. It’s just reading and typing responses, if that’s all you want to use it for.

You can use Slack in exactly the same way that you’re using the forum here now. It’s just that there are more people there answering questions, so you’ll get quick responses from a variety of people - often others that are learning at the same stage as you.

When it’s “I need to do something”, an action, then you use the mae isie i fi neud rhywbeth structure, with the action coming after the i fi or i ti etc

When you need a thing, an object, or something abstract, then you use the mae isie (thing) arna i so “I need a dog” becomes mae isie ci arna i and “do you need something else?” is oes isie rhywbeth arall arnat ti?

ah bendigedig - that’s really useful- thank you!

1 Like

Eisiau like angen (need) is a noun but I’ve noticed it’s widely treated as a verb in spoken language but without the ‘yn’. When talking to friends I hear and use ‘wyt ti eisiau?’- ‘do you want?’ which seems to be acceptable and preferred to ‘a want on you’ though incorrect as far as grammar is concerned. Take your pick!

1 Like