Let's write a song

I’ve had some fun trying to create some poetry: I’m probably just writing stuff that rhymes, but I enjoy it and have started a thread about that. Recently, I came across Blas, which is a Welsh Folk music service available on the TuneIn App and online (http://www.folkradiocymru.com). It’s not all in the Welsh language and there is no commentary, just wall-to-wall music. (They’re looking for monetary support…as it’s a not-for-profit organisation…) some of the music I’ve heard reminded me of vocal traditions and were obviously inspired by real people and events.
I wondered if anyone would join me in trying to write a song? This is all hot off the press, as it only occurred to me last night and I haven’t thought it through, much. For subject matter, I thought we could maybe go for a significant character like Owain Glyndŵr, or maybe a character (or characters) from one of Dewi Pws’s series “Straeon y Tafarn”. Gwylliaid Cochion Mawddwy Or Red Bandits of Mawddwy could be an interesting subject, although part of their story involves a women baring her breasts and cursing someone… We could maybe perform our work at the SSiW party at some stage…or not…
Anyone struck by my silly idea?

2 Likes

Oh go on then. I’m a sucker for anything! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Brilliant, well done Pete2! Further thoughts during my shift tonight - Google Docs might be the way to go to make collaboration easier…

2 Likes

I’m not a songwriter ond Dw I Wrth fy modd efo cerddoriath - my fydda i’n gwliio dy bost di :+1:

1 Like

Fi chwaith Janine, ond dwi’n mwynhau cerddoriaeth yn fawr iawn iawn! Ti’n croeso ychwanegu rhywbeth i’r sgwrs, ta beth…:smiley:

2 Likes

I will be watching this thread with interest, will you be writing in English and translating or straight to Welsh.

Cheers J.P.

ychwanegu ---- checks dictionary furiously… aaaaah extra/additional …hahahaha dw i’n oce diolch yn fawr :slight_smile: unless you’re writing a nursery rhyme :slight_smile:

Hi John! Haven’t thought it through and just thought it was too good an idea to leave alone :wink:
All input gratefully received. Might be more difficult, but ultimately more rewarding to try to think it through in Welsh. It’s the “translate” thing I get itchy over, might be better to find “Welsh equivalents” to an English account. Gives us a chance to investigate some lovely idioms. Does that sound reasonable?

1 Like

Hadn’t thought of doing a nursery rhyme and I’m a grandad-to-be-in-May so it’s a definite maybe in June/July. In the meantime, I’m learning “Mil harddach wyt na’r rhosyn gwyn”.

1 Like

So, does anyone fancy chasing a subject for our song? It’s a good chance to look at some Welsh characters that are remembered down the pub with Dewi “Pws” Morus and the band Radwm on “Straeon Y Tafarn”. I’ve just remembered a book I bought on Kindle - Welsh Myths and Legends. Brilliant read and it will confirm that there is a village underneath the lake near Y Bala and why, for instance. Yes, that was a plug…
I could look again for more suggestions?

1 Like

Ive got one for a person you want to chat up/ fall in love with :wink:

Tra bo dŵr y môr yn hallt,
A thra fo 'ngwallt yn tyfu
A thra fo 'nghalon yn fy mron
Mi fydda i’n ffyddlon i ti

1 Like

Dywed imi’r gwir heb gêl
A rho dan sêl d’atebion,
Prun ai myfi neu arall Gwen
Sydd orau gen dy galon.

I’d like to be that bachgen ieuanc ffôl, cos she does sound delightful!

1 Like

Let’s choose Gwylliaid Cochion Mawddwy Or Red Bandits of Mawddwy. I grew up fairly close although I don’t remember Dinas Mawddwy apart from passing through.