Learning Welsh and open-mindedness

On a positive note -
Best not to take too much notice of the “nay-sayers”, who incidentally tend to thrive in any institutional type environment.

Anyway, getting to the point - I can remember when you wouldn’t mention at work that you were into stuff like:
Fell walking, cycling, rock climbing, baking, etc (to name only a few examples).
Now you are tripping over people doing those sort of things and the numbers are increasing at a pace.

1 Like

I do suspect that Aberystwyth is a little bit special. I imagine most of the staff speak Welsh or at least learn some. It is not, I suspect, the Uni likely to be chosen by anyone with any antipathy to Cymraeg.

3 Likes

You’re welcome.

Practicing with native speakers yn gwir? Yes actually. I spoke with @Iestyn on the last year’s July bootcamp quite a lot so here we are. I spoke at least with one native speakers but well there were more. Ioan Dyer who is my FB friend and both of us are rugby and film music fans is the one too. We met in real life ,after longn term FB friendship, in Cardiff last year and spoke about 2 hours of only Cymraeg over the paint o gwrw. Then on I tried each and every Saint Fagans staff member I could meet chit-chatting in Cymraeg about the facility they were in. It wasn’t brilliant Welsh from my point and I remember I had to resort to English once to try to explain something, but when this was explained I carried on with Cymraeg. Oh … it might very well be I’ve forgotten all those people who were in Tresaith tafarn at the afternoons/evenings. I’ve got into the chat about from where we all (bootcampers) are and why we’re here … And there was Eisteddfod in Fenny where it was easy to plunge into conversation … So, yes, there was plenty chatting with Welsh native speakers but I feel stil lnot enough though.

I will have to disappoint you here. In all languages it’s the favourite word “coffi”! :laughing: :coffee:.

Well on the more sirious note it is “calon”. Maybe because I, for quite a long time thought when someone said to me “Diolch o galon.” that this “galon” actually has something to do with quantity - (like thanks a lot for example) Yah, mutations can bring all sorts of associations to us …

Thank you @hewrop. Well I’m not sure how impressive it was I hope you all who managed to speak with me could understand what I want to say (even when I talk too much :slight_smile: ) .

True although it was before I even knew I’d visit Wales.

Yah, what actually isn’t too open minded I’d say. If you have one attitude toward something you have it and if you don’t, you don’t. All the rest is not open mindness to me. You’d always hear the same attitude toward one thing (in this case Cymraeg) from me and there’s no public or private one … I’d feel dishonest if I’d measure things according to where I am at the moment and what occassion.

But this is just my (I’m sure not very liked) view on the subject.

2 Likes

Sorry @hewrop I didn’t mean to cause offence.
All too often though I am put it positions of having to defend the language. It’s kind of hard not to take it personally when a South Walian man says ‘let it die’. I didn’t mean to generalise, but perhaps it’s because I had a tougher time starting out than many.

2 Likes

I wasn’t talking about Aberystwyth only. :slight_smile:

I agree. Sounds a bit like hypocrisy to change depending on who you are with. Better to avoid those whose opinions make you squirm or even try to convert them! Obviously, sometimes we all change our minds about things and people. Clinging to an idea shown wrong by experience would be perverse! And when we change our minds, we say so and explain why! :sunny:

1 Like