Learner's invitation from Merched y Wawr

Merched y Wawr
Last night I went to this month’s meeting of the Welsh speaking women’s club in Colwyn Bay. Next month’s meeting on Friday May 4th at 7.15 pm. is an open invitation for any Women Welsh Learners (sorry fellas!!) to come along. They are very dedicated to helping anyone interested in the language in a laid back, casual, social environment, and they are VERY friendly.
On that evening the members will bring along something interesting that means something special to them and tell us a little about it. If any of you who decide to come would like to bring an item with you and say just a sentence about it, please do. (I’m going to try!). But you really DON”T have to. There are 2 or 3 of us learners.
The meeting takes place at The Fron Community Centre, Elian Road, Colwyn Bay. LL29 8AD. It’s easy to find as you turn up by the Fire Station just opposite Eirias Park. It would be lovely to see you there.

7 Likes

As this thread is here, I’ll also add that the Dolgellau branch of Merched y Wawr is holding a bring-and-buy sale on Wednesday, 11 April. Time 7.30 p.m., place Tŷ Siamas. Nurses from Uned Meirion, Ysbyty Dolgellau will be talking about their work with elderly people. The bring-and-buy table is to raise money for the unit. The evening will be open to everyone, including men! I will be going, so if you’re in the area, you’ll be very welcome.

5 Likes

i’m going to try to come to this if i’m free, which i think i am! thank for posting.

1 Like

Does anyone on this forum go to the Caernarfon Merched Y Waur?

My apologies to all gentlemen learners. On April 7th I posted an invitation for women learners to come to Colwyn Bay Merched y Wawr special learner’s evening. Sorry, I got it wrong! I now find that it is in fact open to ALL learners. So if you would like to come along, fellas, you will be very welcome. It is on Friday May 4th at 7.15 pm. They are very dedicated to helping anyone interested in the language in a laid back, casual, social environment, and they are VERY friendly. On that particular evening we are asked to bring along something that means something special to us and to say a little bit about it. I’m going to try, but you really don’t HAVE to. There are 2 or 3 of us learners. The meeting takes place at the Fron Community Centre, Elian Rd. Colwyn Bay LL29 8AD. It’s easy to find as you turn up by the Fire Station just opposite Eirias Park. It would be lovely to see you there.

2 Likes

Well, I actually DID it! On Friday night at the Merched y Wawr meeting I faced the whole room and told them in simple and sometimes hesitant Welsh (with lots of mistakes) a bit about my Dad’s WRU medal dated 1931! AND what surprised me the most was that they actually understood what I said. I couldn’t possibly have done that 9 weeks ago before starting the SSiW 6mth course. Diolch yn fawr iawn! OH! And I have just about stopped shaking with nerves now! haha.

8 Likes

How absolutely fantastic - what a HUGE achievement - llongyfarchiadau mawr :star: :star2:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn, Aran. I’ve at last put a profile photo on, too. Me with my “reward” - a fresh cream cake and my daughter’s parrot on my shoulder! Maybe Leoni will pick up some Welsh?

2 Likes

Our very first photographic evidence of someone taking their reward! :star: :star2:

That’s really put a smile on my face… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wondering is this group still running?

Not since Covid Lockdowns, I’m afraid, Di.

Siomedig!

I bet they’ll be happening again though once things get back to something like ‘normal’. Merched y Wawr will be keen to welcome all the people who have been learning Welsh during lockdown, I’m sure!