Lapses learner starting again and saying hello

Hello! I’m Gareth and I’m giving this another go after a year or two away from learning the language (I let my own perception of a lack of progress get the better of me). I have a few challenges to overcome but I’m going to give it a damn good go.
I’m so grateful for the existence of SSIW as, despite my hearing disability, it is by far the best way I have found of learning the welsh language.
Also, if anyone knows which dialect (north/south) is spoken in Newtown, Powys, and could let me know that would be awesome.
Diolch!

1 Like

Croeso Gareth,
I would think both dialects would be spoken in Newtown.

2 Likes

Diolch Conor, I thought that might be the case.

Hi Gareth,

Welcome back!

I am from Brecon - obviously much further south in Powys than Newtown. I picked the southern dialect because Brecon seemed closer to the south (er, it is in the southern half of Wales, I should say) but later found that the Welsh I remember when I was younger was much closer to the Northern Dialect covered in the course (much).

However, I have to say, that having stuck with the Southern one having started it, I now feel in a really good position because I have an understanding of both major dialects…which when it comes to speaking with someone can only be a good thing, I think.

So, I would say it is as close to a no-lose situation as you get in the real world! Ha, ha.

Rich

1 Like