Languages I'd Love To See On SSi

You mean you’d like to start learning Welsh too, Aran? :grinning: :wink:

4 Likes

I don’t think that you need to worry about this, Sebastian. If someone wants to learn one or more of the minority languages, they do exactly that. I doubt that detecting big language courses on the same site would make them change their minds and pick German instead :wink::nerd:

4 Likes

Am I the only one interested in SSiAfrikaans?

I have a number of friends with whom I love to be able to converse. The language structure is said to be relatively easy (“relatively”? Ha! According to whom?), but the sounds and the double negative are tongue- and brain-twisters, respectively.

Did I miss SSiFlemish somewhere in here? Or SSiVlaxRomany?

2 Likes

True. We might even persuade someone who did’nt yet know these languages exsisted to learn one of them

3 Likes

Anyone for SSI Badeshi? Nigh on impossible to do because there are only 3 speakers left and they live in the remote Bishigram valley in Pakistan.
(Look at the BBC for a full article plus some phrases)

3 Likes

Yes! Actually, that’s a great thought…I mean, someone who wants to learn English is in all likelihood at least a little bit interested in the British culture and history. So, we may have a chance to gently and inconspicuously direct their attention to Welsh, Gaelic and Cornish. XD The same may work with Spanish and Catalan…or Swiss German and Rumantsch…

3 Likes

Ooh, I am absolutely thinking of myself as try-lingual from now on! I discovered SSiW because I really wanted to learn Welsh - I love Wales, and have since moved here, and my journey in learning Welsh continues slowly! BUT I discovered that I absolutely love learning new languages, and so whenever I go on holiday I try and learn as much as I can before I go. So the list of languages I’d love to learn is really tied to ‘places I would love to go on holiday to…’ and therefore isn’t particularly balanced…

Polish
Croatian
French
Portuguese
Italy
Czech
German
etc. etc. etc.

I did post this on the Say Something in Polish thread, but thought there’s no harm in posting it again here… What would be great is mini-SSi courses aimed at tourists, which cover essential phrases like hello, good bye, please, thank you etc. in the wonderful SSi way.

As I said in the other thread, SSi has just completely spoiled me for all other methods of learning languages. I assume (although of course I could be wrong about this) that mini courses would be less intensive to set up than full courses, and they would act as an introduction to the SSi method. I would certainly be happy to pay for a mini course in the language of my next holiday destination!

Much love to the SSi team who awoke my love of learning languages, and, as importantly, made me believe I could learn languages!

7 Likes

Thank you for your lovely words, Laura… :slight_smile: :star2:

Mini-courses are quite a challenge as well - but they’re certainly somewhere down the line…:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think there are quite a few hints being dropped around here, Aran… :smile: I would love to see mini-courses in all kinds of languages as well!

3 Likes

I only want to protect @aran @Iestyn and families from complete annihilation-by-response-to-learner-enthusiasm or I would be joining clamour, nay, din, of would-be polyglots clamouring for “mwy”!

You could teach lots of languages from Welsh, wrth gwrs…

4 Likes

Definitely one of the things that will be happening… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A yllyn ni dyski lies yeth dhiworth Kernewek ynwedh…??? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

(Can we teach lots of languages from Cornish as well…??? :wink: )

4 Likes

We’re working with that kind of thought in mind for database structures - but it will require solving some fiddly things, whereas the Welsh is something we can and will do at a slightly earlier stage of proceedings, because we’re willing to put extra ‘fixing it’ time in… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is there an update on the borg?

1 Like

It’s basically had to take a back seat this year to all the code changes surrounding the 6 month and 2 year courses - and the truth is, we could easily keep Ifan flat out on fine tuning all that alone for the next couple of years!

But we’re VERY much hoping we’ll have him back on the SSiBorg before the end of August, and that we’ll be ready for a new round of testing before the end of the year… :slight_smile: :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

I guess I’m going to be busy enough with Welsh for a while.
But since we have an opportunity to express our opinion, I would say Breton. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Glad to see I’m far from the only one interested in Scottish Gaelic (Gàidhlig)!
And having Irish heritage, I would definitely say Irish Gaelic too (Gaeilge).

Oh, and a special request for Quenya too …

9 Likes

Scots Gaelic. I learned a fair bit of it from learning it whilst living in Scotland, dating an Irish girl (having earned some Irish pleasantly aided on my Scots Gaelic journey).

It’s by far the language I am most anticipating… Except, maybe, for Asturianu. :wink: (@aran haha but no rush! Looking forward to Xose’s course)

3 Likes

Not necessarily top of my wish-list personally (that’d be either Kalderash or Welsh Romani) but a genuine and very serious suggestion for when the course-creation tools are at the right point: Channel-Island Norman French of some sort – Jerriais or Guernèsiais.

I never got around to commenting on the “I want to be a Welsh speaker because…” thread, because I felt I had reasons that were too many, and too unclear even to me, and too hard to put into a single sentence: but in the end, one big reason is that, given that I get compliments on my Catalan in Catalonia, and could speak Occitan to the last few speakers before it died out in the village where my parents live, I felt a certain shame in not ever having managed to learn any of the indigenous non-English languages of the British Isles.

Looking at what I’ve seen online about, say, Guernèsiais, I would think that there are many ways in which it would be quite a good ‘fit’ for SSi. It’s another endangered non-English language of our archipelago: as for being indigenous, although it can’t claim the 3000+ years of Celtic, it’s probably been in place in some form for at least as long as English (assuming the Channel Isles were inhabited by colloquial Gallo-Latin speakers around the time the Angles arrived). And, unlike Auregnais, it aten’t dead yet: it still has a few, increasingly elderly, native speakers, and an active community of younger learners and would-be speakers, although the materials I’ve seen online to help them are clearly not a patch on SSi methodology. Oh, and anyone involved in the Guernsey Language Commission has got to be utterly bilingual in English, at least, so getting them on board with the methodology and the course creation tools ought to be relatively uncomplicated, too.

But I have to admit, part of its attraction for me is simply the way it sounds: if you watch this lovely video of a couple of old boys discussing how one of them got delayed by a fallen tree on his way to a Pure Patois evening you might see what I mean. It basically sounds exactly like how I’d imagine people would do talking mediaeval French with accents that keep veering between the West Country and the Black Country. It’s mad, and utterly charming.

3 Likes

Here’s an unusual one I ran across today in a BBC report: Ubang: The Nigerian village where men and women speak different languages

Another endangered language SSi could potentially help out with, except there would have to be SSiUbang (Men) and SSiUbang (Women)! :grinning:

6 Likes