Language games

Can anyone suggest card or board games in Welsh which would be good for a group of learners to use to get talking? But NOT scrabble!

1 Like

:rofl: qutalwyf <- Thatā€™s not Welsh! Itā€™s not??? It ā€œblwdi welā€ looks like it! :rofl: Sorry, I canā€™t help you, AmadaLaing, but this thought was too funny to pass up.

1 Like

Sā€™mae!
Upwords is amenable to this, perhaps even I Spy for no moving parts required?
More helpfully:
http://mylanguages.org/welsh_games.php
https://www.learn-welsh.net/welshgames

1 Like

Just had an idea over brecwast this morning for a revised version of Welsh scrabble which Iā€™m calling ā€œTreiglo!ā€ - basically Scrabble in Welsh but with two new rules:

1. You can only put down unmutated words (maybe this is a rule already??:confused: );
  2. When you put down a word that intersects another word at its first letter you can make a valid mutation of the first letter of the original word and gain some bonus points (i.e. if thereā€™s a horizontal word, e.g. cysgu, a new vertical word, e.g. gwag, can be placed so that the final letter of gwag is the now mutated first letter of gysgu (sorry, that doesnā€™t look very clear now that I read it back ā€¦ :slightly_frowning_face:)
2 Likes

I hate scrabble in any language

My first though was Gair am air, but thatā€™s basically Scrabble with cards instead of tiles.

One thing currently on my to do list is to translate some of the cards from Codenames to Welsh, so that I can play it with my Welsh speaking/learning friends. (Thereā€™s no official Cymraeg version).

2 Likes

Now thatā€™s an excellent idea

There are a few here - Theyā€™re aimed at children, I think, but they will probably work for adult learners - Iā€™ve played one or two of them in the past and they didnā€™t seem ā€˜childishā€™.

Anyone else out there who can offer a review of these games?

https://atebol-siop.com/games/gemaur-parot-piws

1 Like

Iā€™ve played the Chewdlau CYmru top trumps style ones a few times and theyā€™re fun in a conversation starting way.

I really really want to set up a group playing Amazing Tales. Iā€™ve been plaing it with my neices and nephews and reckon itā€™s be a fab learning game if you just did it in Welsh.

Itā€™s sort of a super-simplified Dungeons-and-Dragons a-like. Someone is storyteller, the rest are adventurers (you make up a character with an assortment of skills). At various points in the story who have a ā€˜what do you doā€™ moment and have to roll a dice a find out if you suceed in what you tried (using one of your skills).

2 Likes

Iā€™ve tried the word test. Good fun. I find it harder to do English to Welsh translation of words than the other way around so good practice for me.

I fancy playing the galactic game :sunglasses:

Iā€™m currently working on making Taboo cards for different levels of Welsh (elementary, intermediate, advanced). I use them with my English students and they are generally very fun and make even shy people talk. The rules (for those whoā€™ve never played it) are very simple - you need to explain a word without using 4-6 words given on the card (for example, explain ā€œliteratureā€ without using the words writer, author, book, novel, award).
I think you could also use them without a partner, just to revise vocab, but itā€™s more fun as a game.

1 Like

I really like the sound of this idea @seren! Anything that helps with vocab gets a big thumbs up from me.

1 Like

On a gaming note Iā€™m just crossposting to this thread because Iā€™m starting up a board/card/RPG group in Welsh in Swansea on Tuesday evening. First sess is 18/02/2020 in Copper Bar. From 18:30 onā€¦

For the Port Talbot group I bought some childrens picture cards in a car boot sale. each person picks two at random and aims to make up a sentence using one or both if theyā€™re feeling brave. Also we build a short story a sentence at a time taking it in turns to add to the story. Hilarious results. We also have cards with English sentences on the one and Welsh on the other, again we pick a few at random and go around the group each translating from one or the other. Weā€™re constantly looking for games/ideas too, in order to keep us chatting in Welsh. Hope our little games help a bit. Pob lwc.

Would you like me to promote this in the weekly email Leia? Just PM me all the relevant info and Iā€™ll pop it in! :slight_smile:

Yes please! Iā€™ll put some words together and PM