L2 challenge 17

This challenge includes the conditional tense, first person singular, and the examples are “Fydden i ddim…” and “Tasen i …” I understood from elsewhere that the first p sing of conditional was “Fyddwn i ddim …” and “Taswn i …”. l recall an example in L1 where “I would like …” is “Hoffen i …” , where I would have expected “hoffwn i …” Could someone explain, please?

1 Like

Hi @carolyn-5

It is a regional variation to have ‘e’ all the way through for conditional endings ie singular and plural - so, it means just the same.

Rich :slight_smile:

Thanks, Rich, I guessed it was possibly yet another variation of the rules of this complex language. I take my hat off to those brave enough to compile the grammar books!

1 Like

Yes and strangely, although it is very common, this conditional ending variant seems much less well documented in the grammar books - in comparison to the nips and tucks in other tenses.

Rich :slightly_smiling_face:

yes, thank you - it would be reassuring if Iestyn or whoever could mention it in the challenges somewhere. Anyway, thank you very much for your swift reply.