L2 ch1

Level 2 challenge 1 - about 2 mins 30 in ‘Do you want me to watch your children?’ “Wyt ti’n moyn i fi wylio eich plant chi”. Why the mix of ti and chi? I know it’s a tiny detail but I’m not confident in Welsh (or anything else!) and apparent inconsistencies bother me. Sorry if I have missed something blindingly obvious.

I think it’s because eich/chi is the polite form, in fact, but also plural.
“Plant” is “children” - always plural (which was confusing for me at first!), and that’s what it’s referring to.

p.s. in any case let’s just wait for someone more expert than me to confirm my guesses! :smiley:

As @gisella-albertini said, the first is singular and the second is plural.
Wyt ti’n moyn… because I am talking to just one of you.
…eich plant chi because the children belong to two of you.
At least I suppose that is what is intended.
Sue

Oh that’s interesting - it’s actually a slightly different interpretation than mine:
I thought it referred to the plural of “children” - that popped automatically in my mind because in Italian (and French and I guess Spanish too) we use the possessive that way.

But thinking of Welsh again, I guess you’re right @Betterlatethan.

p.s. sorry to confuse you Simon, it’s just that this forum is an opportunity to learn more or check what we’ve learnt!

1 Like

I tried to remember how to say it in French or Italian - but every word of French and Italian seems to have been wiped from my brain and replaced by Welsh. I looked it up and, yes, I see what you mean.
Sue

1 Like

Thank you Sue - that’s an ingenious explanation! But a plural poss. pronoun with a sing. person still sounds very odd as it would in any other language (French, Spanish, Russian among others) where the p.p. is appropriate to the person (Fr tu - ton/ta/tes etc). Could it be (whisper it softly) a mistake ?!

I’ll leave this to someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

What made it seem logical was focusing on the fact that, unlike English, in Italian it also changes according to the plural of the object, like:
your child/ your children
while
il tuo bambino /i tuoi bambini (ton enfant/tes enfants).

But you’re right, it still doesn’t match the person you’re supposed to speak to in that one!