L1 Chal 4 - Use of 'bod' - Help!

Hello,

I was working though challenge 4. Aran asks me to say “I think I must go now” - i said:

dw i meddwl rhaid i mi mynd rŵan and when I heard it in Cymraeg it was dw i meddwl bod rhaid i mi mynd rŵan.

I thought that bod was that and there was no that in the english sentence. The next few sentences in the challenge did have a that in and the bod was there in the Cymraeg.

Is it sometimes used just to make the sentence flow better or is it an error or have i missed something?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

It’s basically that English often has an implied ‘that’ whereas Welsh doesn’t imply, it puts it in.
“I think (that) I must go now”
We’re so used to not hearing a ‘that’ where there’s one implied in Englsih that when we learn another language and automatically (though mistakenly) look for word-for-word translations, we get caught out with the Welsh ‘that’ appearing “out of nowhere”, if you see what I mean.

3 Likes

Thank you Siaron - that makes complete sense!

If I was speaking and forgot the ‘bod’ - would it be a problem or would leaving it out still get the message accross?

It would still get the message across if you left it out (because people would put it down to you being a learner) but it wouldn’t sound ‘natural’ - so don’t get into a habit of leaving it out, because it does make a difference! :slight_smile:

Understood - much appreciated!!

1 Like

Yeah, English is kind of funny about “that” sometimes. In some instances, it can be removed without making the sentence sound wrong. But the rule for one language doesn’t always carry over to another.
Another problem with English is that “I’ve got” and “I’ve got to” sound similar, but mean different things. Which is why I occasionally mix up “mae gen i” and “rhaid i mi”. Which phrase means which thing again? I’ve forgotten. AUGH! I feel like Aran says “I’ve got” and “I’ve got to” just to mess everyone up. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I have that also with the same! Lots of fun though trying to figure it all out!

1 Like