Just want to wish you all Happy Holidays! Nadolig Llawen & Blwyddyn Newydd Dda 2016

Dymuniadau gorau am Nadolig Llawen, pawb! :christmas_tree:

And if you don’t celebrate Christmas, best wishes for however you celebrate the season! :fireworks:

13 Likes

Happy holidays to you too, @AnnaC. Hope you’re better and that new year would treat you best way possible.

For all the rest - happy Holidays aswell and happy new year!

6 Likes

I don’t want to open a new thread, but I can’t help but want to wish everyone here happy holidays, so hopefully Anna will forgive me for posting in her thread!
Nadolig llawen to everyone - I’m very happy and grateful I have found SSIW and this forum. It has made me year much, much brighter. Working on something you love is a great happiness in itself, but doing it in such a pleasant company as the one I have found here is simply amazing. Thank you, everyone, for all your generous advice, praise and attention. I hope you will have a lovely Christmas and winter holidays, wherever you are.

11 Likes

@tatjana Thank you so much for your kind wishes!

This is so very true. (And I don’t consider it “my” thread - I’ m glad you posted!)

3 Likes

Nadolig llawen iawn to all you lovely people! Thank you for making this such a deeply wonderful and caring community… :sunny: :star: :star2: :fireworks:

7 Likes

If also like to add my wishes - Nadolig Llawen I bawb! This community has made my year, too. I never imagined when I started learning Welsh that I’d end up finding such a wonderful place! :smile:

4 Likes

Nadolig llawen i chi gyd! Thanks to all here and SSiW team for brightening my life beyond measure.

6 Likes

Nadolig Llawen i bawb ! Dymuniadau gorau ar gyfer y flwyddyn newydd.

5 Likes

Mae ddrwg gen i!
Too busy with goose (traditional Gower Christmas meal) to post until now and missed sending you all Nadolig Llawen… so…
Blwyddyn newydd dda i chi pawb!!

p.s. To @AnnaC I had been waiting for someone else to start a ‘Nadolig Llawen’ posting, which is why I ended up missing it!! Diolch i ti for starting it!!! Maybe you night consider editing the title to include Blwyddyn newydd??? I’m not sure how, maybe adding ‘and 2016’???
:smiley:

7 Likes

@henddraig I didn’t call the post “Nadolig Llawen” on purpose, since not everyone celebrates Christmas. And I am planning to add my Blwyddyn Newydd wishes in a few days! I guess I figured “Happy Holidays” covered most of the bases :slight_smile: I’m not sure if I can edit the title of the post, but I’ll see what I can come up with!

Edited to add: Okay, that was easy to edit! There you go!

1 Like

I didn’t wish “Nadolig Llawen” on purpose aswell but since @Aran was the first to wish it I guess it’s OK that way. Actually not any single year before on this new forum I saw the wishes for these holidays so I never posted mine aswell.

And … did you see @AnnaC, you can do tech things too?! If you could tell me how to put that welsh clock on the desktop then you can do many things more on some fields even more then I I believe. So, be confident in your knowledge. I’d say the same to you for computering things as you say to me for my Cymraeg ones … you know more then you think you do so heads up! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong) is that Happy Holidays is mainly only used in the US however in the UK everyone says either Merry or Happy Christmas and is usually taken the same way as Happy Holidays would be in America, just as a seasonal greeting so is very unlikely to be taken as offensive by anyone who doesn’t celebrate it. I would guess it would be the same with Nadolig Llawen. :evergreen_tree:

Thanks, @cap, I didn’t realize that! Here in the US there is a huge emphasis on being “politically correct” and not offending anyone. I’d much rather just be able to say Happy Christmas without worrying! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If I know someone is Jewish, I send ‘Happy Hanukah’ (which I haven’t had to spell for years!! :smile: )The same would go for Diwali. But I agree that most people, unless sure someone actively isn’t celebrating Christmas, says Nadolig Llawen! I have never used “Happy Holidays”, but that reflects my age. For a humanist? I’d probably insult them by bracketing with ‘traditionalist’ and sending Solstice Greetings!!! Or just say Happy New Year. Up here, I often say “Happy Hogmanay!”.
Oh, as a Methodist, Christmas greetings are not mentioned after Christmas Day. We then go for Happy New Year!

3 Likes

My daughter usually wishes me ‘Happy Yuletide’ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would like to add my greetings to the list. You have all helped to keep me going. I have finished lesson 12 now and am looking forward to finishing Course 1 and moving on to the second. The day before yesterday I went out for a long walk along the Rideau River and got through three lessons. Today I am just about to sit down to a cup of Welsh tea (Glengettie - ffefryn yng Nghymru ers cenedlethau, or so they would have you believe) and a plate of Welsh cakes, and tackle lesson 13. No repeats so far.

7 Likes

Dwi ddim yn hoffi te! But I used to quite like Glengettie at my ‘Auntie’s’ home. I tried taking it to London, and it tasted awful!! It’s all a matter of the water, I believe!! Coffee that was great in Harrogate was horrible in London as well!!

1 Like

Blwyddyn newydd dda i bawb! :fireworks: :tada: :balloon:

2 Likes

Diolch am popeth. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Happy (imminent) new year, everyone.

2 Likes