It's an object pronoun

Quirky fun fact - I once had a van for an office move driven by one of the Gorky’s lads… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this name yours, Aran? I think you just dropped it… :grin:

4 Likes

:trophy: :fireworks:

2 Likes

That’s not just a fun fact - that’s a cwl fact! I trust you never cleaned any of the office equipment moved by said Gorky’s man.

1 Like

Since we appear to have accumulated a bit of a Datblygu criw here, here’s a photo of Dave DJing in Carmarthen last night. I had a brief chat with him and he seemed very well considering his historical struggles. I’m hoping to see him out and about, on his own terms of course, a lot more in the future.

3 Likes

Wow, would love to have been there. Was this at the sadly-soon-to-close-down Parrot?

1 Like

Yes, at the soon-to-be-sorely-missed Parrot.

2 Likes

Real shame it’s closing down. I only managed to get there once (I live in Sheffield so not a straightforward journey), when Datblygu did the launch party for their Erbyn Hyn mini-album (at the also-no-doubt-sorely-missed Tangled Parrot record shop upstairs from the bar). The Parrot was definitely, by some distance, the best bar I visited in Carmarthen. Had I known about the event the other night I would probably have tried to get down for it - but the Datblygu guys, bless 'em, are utterly useless at self-promotion!

2 Likes

@robbruce, @PeterG since this started as a thread on pronouns, I guess we should pretend to be talking about the lesser known rhagenw datblygol. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But I can also practice making sentences and pronouns.

dw i’n siwr dyna’r peth bo fi’n mynd siarad am (or amdani?)
Iawn, dw i’n meddwl bod e’n gret!
Beth naeth e canu (darllen) a chwarae?
Piti bod y Parrot yn cau. Pam rhaid i nhw cau e? (with this one especially, I really don’t know what I’m doing, extreme guessing!)

p.s. utterly useless at self-promotion, always been my kind of band guys.

1 Like

Good work. Nothing really worth correcting - all perfectly comprehensible.

To answer the questions: He sang/spoke/ranted in English over Oblong (the band) droning a single note. I recorded some of it, but I’m not going to post it publicly out of respect for him. Since he’s not on social media I’ve no way of asking his permission.
The Parrot is closing for the simple reason that it is losing money. I’ve been travelling over the hills to see bands there for some time, and it has been noticeable over the past couple of years or so that attendance has fallen. That this has happened over almost the same time-span that the Carmarthen ‘scene’ has come to national attention is very sad.
The record shop upstairs is staying open, by the way.
Anyone wishing to see the other half of Datblygu DJing at the Parrot before it closes should get themselves along to this, which I’m also going to post to the gigs/events thread:

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. Such a shame it’s closing - I imagine it’ll be a huge loss. So sad that not enough people are getting out to gigs. Glad to hear the record shop is still there - I thought I’d read it had closed down but I guess I must have imagined it!

Oh, I’d love to come down for the 1st of Dec - looks a good line-up - but I have a gig to go to in Derby the night before and one in Sheffield on the night itself (tickets already bought). Damn!

2 Likes

Time to revive everyone’s favorite topic! Perhaps I’m being dense but there seem to be examples in the course that contradict this.

For instance, gad i mi daflu fo. Daflu would be a VN, correct? So shouldn’t this sentence conform to the first way with ei or other form coming before the VN?

Diolch!

1 Like

Yes it is, and strictly speaking it should. But in speech and informal writing the possessive adjective in these constructions is often dropped, and especially in a case like this where the ei sounds like the end of mi anyway. With eich and ein it is more likely to be retained: Alla i’ch helpu chi? Can I help you? does (to me at least) sound better than Alla i helpu chi?. Similarly Maen nhw am ein gweld ni They want to see us, rather better than Maen nhw am weld ni, I venture to suggest.

None of it worth going to war over, however. :slight_smile:

1 Like

…and it’s ‘in’, in that example in the southern course so it’s probably dependent on region, ( person, time of day, whether it’s raining :smile: a.y.y.b )

Rich :slight_smile:

Thanks again! It’s just interesting because another example given in the same challenge is ei newid for change it. Any reason this would sound or read better, or is it just one of those ssiw quirks I shouldn’t worry too much about? :upside_down_face:

It IS more correct in that it is truer to Welsh grammar, and that is why it sounds and reads better. The echoing rpnoun, is very common in speech though, and then moving on one stage further (perhaps partly by influence of English - remember native Welsh speakers are also excellent speakers of English) the presence of the object pronoun tends to make the preceding possessive adjective redundant, and so it gets dropped.

Try and remember to do it, but don’t worry too much. :slight_smile:

1 Like