Issues accessing level 3 De challenges

Bore da pawb.

I’ve just finished level 2 De :tada: :grinning: and I’m eager to move on to level 3. However, I can’t get any of the level 3 De challenges to show up on the app (which I’m running on my Android phone). I’m definitely logged in but when I try to refresh the courses, it says it has updated but moves me back to the level 1 screen.

Any ideas?

Diolch

Kim

There are no level 3 challenges for South at the moment.

There are 6 available for North. You can switch your region to North using the Settings menu

1 Like

Oh I see! That’s a bit twpsyn of me! I had got confused by there being challenges listed but hadn’t clicked on them to find out that they don’t yet exist. Thanks for replying so quickly though.

Think I’ll go through the old course material and hopefully, by the time I’ve finished, there’ll be some level 3 stuff.

Diolch

Kim

1 Like

@kimberley I’d recommend trying the northern challenges. Some of the vocab will be different but you’ll be amazed how much you can do! Also, it’ll be good for your ear to hear a bit of Gog. I’m guessing you live in the South? My experience is of a lot of people using a mix down here.

1 Like

Yep @AnthonyCusack, I live in Merthyr but work in Cardiff. I’m slightly concerned that I’ll get confused if I do the Northern challenges. But then, I think I did a mix (‘living Welsh’) at school and certainly my pronounciation of certain words is more Gog than De. Would you recommend I start at the Northern level 1 and go from there?

Diolch

Kim

I don’t think you need to do the whole lot again. Perhaps try lessons 24 and 25 of each level? Also, if you say “gallu” where @aran says “medru” (for example), don’t get fed up (I did that all the way through anyway). Stick to your patterns, it’s all Welsh at the end of the day :smile:

4 Likes

OK @AnthonyCusack, I’m doing to try it! Diolch for the advice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Let me know how it goes :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Morning @AnthonyCusack. I had a quick go at challenge 24 of level 1 north yesterday (I’ll go through it properly today). Here’s what I thought (so far):

• I found it really really strange switching to different voices. There’s clearly absolutely nothing wrong with the voices of @aran and @CatrinLliarJones but I’m just so used to @Iestyn and Cat. After the initial freak out, this soon settled down.
  • I was really surprised at how much I was able to do. Turns out that a lot of the Welsh I learnt for GCSE is that used more often in the north e.g. my default is to say mwynhau rather than joio and I learnt eisiau for want. I also pronounce eg Cymraeg like Aran rather than like Iestyn.
  • Obviously there are vocabulary differences but I didn’t find these confused me as much as I thought. Rather, I thought it was nice to know some alternatives.

So, all in all, reasonably successful, I think. I’m still going to do the south old course challenges but I’m going to supplement this with some northern challenges too. I wonder whether I should go through all of Level 2 northern before moving on to level 3? I’d definitely encourage others to have a go at the ‘other’ dialect, depending on which they start with, of course.

Diolch :grinning:

5 Likes

Brilliant!! Thank you for letting me know too! I often gives this advice but rarely find out if it’s worked. I have only ever done the first 6 lessons of the old course. I did do the bootcamp stuff they had. They’re nice speedy challenges you could go through?

I think I felt the course was my comfort zone so I wanted to find other things. I didn’t revisit level 2 before trying level 3. Some stuff was rusty but I think that mild discomfort helped me (not for everyone of course).

Again, I’m really glad you found it helpful :smile:

3 Likes

Do you mind me asking what other things you tried? I’m just trying to keep myself occupied until level 3 south is ready. I do try to listen to Radio Cymru and do some reading but I could do more of this I guess.

I can’t remember the exact order of things but:

Duolingo was handy, mainly vocab but also structures
Recently found Memrise - useful for vocab. I did too much and had a bit of an overload (normally notice this when I find it hard to think I’m Welsh again) so having a break
Radio Cymru as you do
S4C (only select shows, I’m not a massive tv watcher) and I started with Welsh subs then just stopped. Don’t get me wrong, lots I don’t understand but can follow a plot.
Lots and lots of conversations.
I tried traditional classes - they’re useful but I wasn’t enjoying them.
I read a lot in Welsh now - Bethan Gwenas, Manon Steffan Ros, T. Llew Jones
Now I have singing lessons in Welsh

But the single most helpful thing:
Bootcamp. Just pushed me over the edge from thinking in English to Welsh. Still lots of translation happens but less so.

Hope that helps

2 Likes

Diolch! :slight_smile:

2 Likes