Is that all? And other Traveller’s Tales

Avid backpackers are used to travelling light. So are many young folk aka computer-savvy (or the young at heart and e-qually adept) who prefer e-libraries to shelves of hardbacks, and minimalist possessions. There are even decluttering gurus who claim they can makes us happier by sorting out our ‘stuff’.

Here I am sitting in the Vancouver departure lounge, with a small (tiny even) rucksack that is half the weight allowance for carry-on, having surrendered my equally puny checked suitcase that cringed at the prospect of being walloped by the humungous ones also wending their way to the hold. ‘See you on the other side bach’ I whisper. Yep, this is it, we are off to the 10th Anniversary Parti—definitely excited, but also a little nervous that despite cramming on Level 3, maybe because of that, my brain is mush. But hey, it is really happening and after a ‘gwydred neu ddai’ (sp???) I will feel completely at home.

So when it came to packing light it was a choice between an extra Tee and glitzy shoes, or a Welsh dictionary… a flashy jacket or collection of my Welsh notebooks… It has been tough but, what I have forgotten, I have forgotten—and that is true of clothes or Welsh. The main thing is we are heading for a good time—nah, a great time.

But if you were travelling light when it comes to Welsh, what would you bring? An iPad, notebook, trust in the process, or…?

See some of you soon, after we have shed a few kilos hiking in Snowdonia before the parti.

Hwyl,
Mari

14 Likes

Shouldn’t you have asked this question yesterday before leaving. :joy::wink:

Definitely trust in the process. A tablet or notebook will help you in the evenings or when you have some downtime but are useless during a conversation. Trust yourself. Enjoy yourself. :grinning:

8 Likes

Siwrne saff i ti Mari! Edrych ymlaen yn fawr iawn at dy weld di… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m relishing the prospect of teavelling light, and not co-ordinating the packing of 3 other people (and anyone who thinks men are more restrained packers than women has not met my husband, you would not believe what he considers essential).

So, Welsh wise my plan is

And not

6 Likes

In Manchester train station at the airport drinking a latte and sharing a sandwich :yum: Had to ask the ticketing chap 3 times where we change—apparently Llandudno, but Something seems to have been lost in translation. A candidate for SSiW maybe?

Interesting ideas about travelling light—thank you! As for me… hm, well just check out my footwear—may be a clue, but I promise no yellow wellies :rofl:

3 Likes

You are absolutely right, but I work on the basis that forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission, and that goes for packing… nail clippers and flashlight… oops, but think what they weigh :rofl:

2 Likes

I like it…

6 Likes

I like the notebook for travelling light. But what do you choose to write in it? And how do you find the words you need when you need them?

On my trip to Wales I was only allowed one cabin bag, so no room for dictionaries or language books. No iPad - well, also because I don’t have one, but mostly because since my first trip to the UK, trust the process is the way to go! :wink:

Enjoy yourself and keep us updated! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Would that be Llandudno Junction?
Too late now anyway I’m sure.
Sue

3 Likes

So exciting! (mor cyffrous ? - Or am I the one excited with that)

I love this travelling light thread - I am always compelled to take kitchen sink with me to the bus-stop - even on an easy day out to a café with friends !!

I am so excited that people from other continents from Hangouts on the 6mws are on “British” soil! E.g. Esmé in Scotland, now Forum names will be re-embodied Marilyn as Scotty beams us all “back down” into Caernarfon!

2 Likes

Practising travelling light-walleted by doing a day trip to Swansea - taxi now booked for 4 am @nia.llywelyn @aliC

2 Likes

Croeso i Gymru!

3 Likes

‘Cheers Pawb’

As I raise this first glass of Chateau Neuf du Beddgelert, I salute you all! :wine_glass:

Mari

4 Likes

As I said before, I won’t be there to meet you face to face but there’ll be treats for you I’m sure, you’ll see.

Have a great time and you know that one:

Paid â phoeni a siarad Cymraeg!

So, don’t worry because there’s nothing to worry about especially not about your Welsh, I’m sure about that.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Dear Diary,

Only one blister so far—not bad for clocking up about 30 km on our first 2 days (still jet-lagged), getting to enjoy old haunts like the Idwal Slabs where Andrew and I first went climbing together 50 years ago, hiking the Ogwen Valley, then around the Rhyd Ddu and Beddgelert areas. Nothing too strenuous yet, but the Moelwyns, maybe Y Garn, and certainly Y Wyddfa beckon before we limp into Caernarfon, foot sore but happy campers.

So far no actual Welsh heard, but plenty of other accents—a host of different English ones, the occasional lilting Welsh version, Australian, American… At least I can enjoy reading the signs which are bilingual, including what ‘Paid’ to do :confused: oh, but have tasted some Welsh beer, and really enjoyed the local hospitality—great food and lots of laughs, particularly when I used the ‘Drying Room’ for my ‘smalls’ (as they are quaintly referred to here) only to discover it was intended for water-logged hiking boots and cags. OK fine, but it worked beautifully—so what if it gave the odd hiker a giggle? Not like they were leopard skin… hm, put that on the list for my next shopping spree.

The weather has been variable in the mountains, so ‘We put our wet-proofs on, we take our wet-proofs off; on, off, on, off, we shake them out again, do the hokey cokey and we turn around, that’s what it’s all about…’ Loving it, and feeling very much at home. So much so, Andrew is snoring away, I ran through Lesson 21 and figure it’s time for a coffee, bind up the blister, and have a lazy day perhaps visiting an old copper mine, strolling into Beddgelert, sampling some ice-cream and trying out a pub—sounds like a pretty balanced diet to me. Talk about memory lane :rofl:

Talk again soon. Hwyl,
Mari

PS, the trains worked a treat, but were jam-packed—Bank Holiday weekend. Lucky we got on at the airport so had a seat, but it was SRO. Yes, Llandudno Junction was where we had to change. No problem—only 10 minutes’ wait, same platform.

PPS, played ‘Snakes and Ladders last night—hilarious!

7 Likes

Dear Diary,

Yesterday offered brilliant weather for hiking to the top of Moelwyn Mawr, giving us a spectacular 360 degree panorama from the coast to Snowdon. It was fascinating poking about the old slate quarry buildings we passed on the way up. Coming down a different way was not for the faint-hearted, at least by the route we took, especially when the wind came howling through, but once below the tough bit, we were in a pastoral paradise. What a great not-quite circular walk, and that first sip of wine in the pub at the bottom was shear nectar. Slept like babies right through—a definite cure for jet-lag.

Today,… well today was wet Wales at its best—green, lush, the hillside awash with colour from the rhodo’s in full bloom, yet the mountains shrouded in mist and mystery. High wind-warnings eliminated Y Garn, but the Aberglastyn Pass made a wonderful alternative—setting off towards Llyn Dinas, up a steep climb into the Cwm Bychan valley, then past old copper workings and, down through the Pass, and back to Beddgelert alongside the river, just beneath the railway track. I would have loved to sample one of the famous ice-creams in the village, but Andrew was soaked by that time (so was I), so good-sense got the better of us… Now we are lounging about, warm and dry, feeling well-exercised and content.

Hwyl,
Mari

PS munching an egg sandwich today, (while sheltering from the rain under a stone arch bridge), reminded me of childhood trips to Barry Island in the rain. We swam in the sea anyway, then wrapping bath towels around us like magicians’ cloaks we took shelter in a concrete shelter on the promenade overlooking the beach, enjoyed egg sandwiches and watched others playing in the penny-arcade. There were these odd ‘meant-to-be-scary’ vignettes—little animated scenes of haunted houses (in glass-fronted wooden boxes), and of course the laughing sailor. What else? Can anyone else here remember?

4 Likes

Dear Diary,

We had planned to ‘do’ Y Wyddfa today, but are still drying out from yesterday and after slogging to the top would not have had much of a view in this mist and drizzle—‘mizzle’ I think it is called in Cornwall. No matter—we are very happy with our efforts this week and sufficiently whacked to enjoy the view from the window, relaxing in the warm, and letting the feet and sore muscles complain just enough to feel we made the right decision.

‘She/he’ will still be here waiting for us ‘next time’!

I brought my ‘pack-to-nothing’ sketching paints with me, but still have a murder mystery to solve—‘Devil’s Kitchen’—very apt, since it is set right here in Snowdonia.

They say a ‘picture is worth a thousand words’… so here are two, the first of Andrew, the second… well you will have to guess:

Parti-time tomorrow, so also need to conserve energy :rofl:

Hwyl,
Mari

3 Likes