Irish Gaelic?

Just registering my vote for a course in Gaeilge.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve just re-published (in honour of St Patrickā€™s Dayā€¦) an item by Joe Mitchell, who created the first Welsh-Gaelic dictionary. The article is trilingual, so you can read Irish, Welsh and English next to each other, which is pretty cool!

7 Likes

That is cwl. Ond-donā€™t tell my wife I said this; but St Pat was borrowed from Cyrmuā€¦sshhhh

3 Likes

SƔsta LƔ FhƩile PƔdraig / Diwrnod San Padrig Hapus Iawn

6 Likes

ā€¦ ha Gool Padrig Lowen :shamrock:

5 Likes

Iā€™ve mostly been sticking to Welsh, since I find it hard to stop peppering in Irish words if I go back to them. I revert to saying ā€œlonā€ for lunch, instead of cinio, for example.

Duolingo is good for some grammar tips and vocabulary, but itā€™s so idiosyncratic in its overall approach. Iā€™d like for them to give some more practice of the grammar points, too. I find that I do better with the memrise Cwrs Mynediad/Cwrs Sylfaen offerings, and Iā€™m contemplating purchasing the official Cwrs Mynediad and Cwrs Sylfaen apps for the northern dialect to review the grammar and vocab Iā€™ve been practicing on the free sites. I want to concentrate on northern speech patterns, if possible.

2 Likes

Has anyone heard about the new Michel Thomas Method Irish course? I noticed itā€™s going to brought out later this year by the company. As we donā€™t yet have a ā€˜SSIā€™ Irish course, this might be a good course for you would be Irish Gaelic learners:

https://www.michelthomas.com/learn-language-irish/

https://www.hodder.co.uk/books/detail.page?isbn=9781529374612

I wonder if theyā€™ll expand the Michel Thomas Method to more celtic languages such as Scottish Gaelic? Still, Iā€™d much prefer these languages to be available as ā€˜SSIā€™ courses!

5 Likes

Just out of interest, this article about the Irish language was shared recently on the Cornish Language Fellowshipā€™s Facebook page: Learning My Fatherā€™s Language I donā€™t have any connections with Ireland myself, but I found it very thoughtful and moving and thought others here might like to read it as well.

3 Likes

ā€œThirty-five thousand native speakers, and none of my actual Irish family members is counted among them. Not one of them is even in the half million or so who are categorized, generously, as competent second-language speakers of Irish.ā€
This is the same for myself. I have more than my father and, sadly, now I know I have more than an Irish couple I have recently come into acquaintance with. They learned Gaelic at schoolā€¦:disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

If itā€™s any reassurance, I read the article and thought gosh, we Cornish speakers would just about kill (not literally, I hope) for 35,000 native speakers, 500,000 competent second-language speakers and even a tiny region similar to the Gaeltacht where you can go out and find people speaking the language to each other as they go about their lives. Weā€™ve got perhaps 500 fluent speakers, almost no native speakers except for the handful whose parents deliberately brought them up speaking Cornish at home, and nowhere where the language is actually used in the community as peopleā€™s day-to-day means of communication. But then, thatā€™s up from no fluent speakers at all 150 years ago or so, and the numbers are gradually growing, so thatā€™s something. It at least gives one hope for Irish and other endangered languages too, that if enough people just keep putting in the effort and absolutely refusing to let their language die, it CAN grow stronger againā€¦

7 Likes

Hi @Courtenay. Iā€™m currently on holiday in Cornwall for the first time and Iā€™m learning Welsh on SSiW. Iā€™m captivated by this area and Iā€™m intending to learn Cornish too. Iā€™ve not yet come across any speakers, but Iā€™m determined to ā€˜do my bitā€™. I agree that itā€™s very important. :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi @lin-2,

Splann! :grinning: (Splendid.) Do give SSiCornish a try as well when youā€™ve got time ā€” there are only 10 lessons/challenges so far, but it gives you a really good start.

The best way to find Cornish speakers is to go along to a Yeth an Werin (regular informal conversation group, usually held in a pub). There are quite a number of them around Cornwall ā€” hereā€™s a map with their locations. Click on any of them (the green markers) to see their days, times and contact details. Theyā€™ll be happy to welcome anyone whoā€™s interested in the language, even complete beginners, so do see if you can get to one. (Thereā€™s one in Cardiff as well, if youā€™re anywhere near there.)

Lovely to hear from you!

2 Likes

But some recording happening at the moment, I hearā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Hmmm, Iā€™ve heard that at least two or three times in the past few years (including from people directly involved with SSiC) and nothing has ever actually come of it, so Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m not holding my breathā€¦ :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Well, that includes usā€¦:wink: And Iā€™m certainly getting messages that quite a bit has been done, so Iā€™ll be very surprised if we donā€™t publish some more lessons in the not-too-distant futureā€¦ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

(and I really will learn Welsh some day too :wink:)

3 Likes

Posted in the Welsh forum, but information that may be useful to Irish speakers in the Coventry area -

Plenty of Irish people here including Irish language speakers :slight_smile: They meet every Tuesday evening for ā€œceĆ³l agus crĆ”icā€ at the Hearsall pub.

3 Likes

Any updates? Itā€™s been 2+ years since the last reply lol howā€™s everyone doing? Still waiting for the Irish courses hehe

1 Like

Weā€™ve had to completely rewrite the software to make it easier to rapidly develop new courses, and weā€™re testing this currently with different language pairs. Weā€™ve just released an English for Spanish speakers course, and with the knowledge we gain from that, weā€™ll be able to make some more tweaks to the system.
Weā€™re super keen to have an Irish course! There are so many people learning with Duolingo, which is great for what it does, but not good at getting people actually conversing in the language. A combination of Duolingo plus a SSi course would be brilliant for Irish! Fingers crossed it wonā€™t be too much longer!

5 Likes

@Deborah-SSi, to have full insights and impact of the software you should rather test something what gives really wide aspect of the language rules etc which (of course) includes duality and the fact that the whole sentences change with the change of gender, number and cases. This for you maybe should get someone whoā€™d cooperate with you and test the thing in Polish which is one of the two languages in the world which duality is really used.

P.S. I deliberately didnā€™t say Slovene (which is that second one language) because I know thereā€™s almost absolutely no interest one would learn it.

Greetings to all!
Tatjana

1 Like