Irish Gaelic?

@saethwr Haha, yes! That very well may be in our future :wink: And if she doesn’t want to, then no reason for me not to get double practice. :wink: Plus, I think it’d be nice to practice with someone who’s also learning as well! Less pressure haha. Yes!

1 Like

I agree. SSi format makes all the difference for me.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at some of the comments on getting people with the right pronunciation for Duolingo. I can’t really imagine how you would represent Irish on SSi unless you had three separate versions (Munster, Connacht and Ulster) or just decided to go with one on the basis of the most-spoken or just whoever you could find with the most authentic accent (that was still generally intelligible). The problem is also that the more authentic the accent is, the less likely it is that they are using standard Irish!

Apart from it being from my own ‘backyard’ :slight_smile: the Cois Fharraige dialect has the advantage of having the book ‘Learning Irish’ available in a Welsh language version “Dysgu Gwyddeleg”, pub by Prifysgol Cymru Aberystwyth, which might be of interest to those learning Welsh also. “Learning Irish” is by Micheal Ó Siadhail. It teaches only the Irish spoken out along the coast from Galway (with some non-standard spelling to reflect this).

The Irish of Tourmakeady (South Mayo) was very highly regarded but the number of speakers have declined a lot. North Mayo Irish on the other hand still seems to be fairly strong in one smallish area and has the advantage that, although a Connacht dialect, it has some tinge of a South Donegal pronunciation and therefore might be of interest to those who would like to move between Connacht and Ulster dialects.

I feel like I’m rambling on a bit here
 but I would be interested to read what others think. I’m not mentioning Munster dialect as more people are already aware of its importance and it is a large influence on the standard (‘An CaighdĂ©an’). Munster speakers would make the same comment on the influence of Connemara Irish

2 Likes

I’m kind of torn between something like that - obviously what we did with Welsh - and something more generic to save on the considerable complications that have arisen by having ‘northern’ and ‘southern’ options for Welsh
 it’s tricky.

1 Like

Yes, three versions would be a huge undertaking. Any speaker will have some bias towards one of the dialects (just because they will have come from or based themselves on an area). However I’ve heard at least one native speaker argue strongly for the CaighdĂ©an/Standard and a lot of work went into honing it throughout the 20th century. No doubt it will be strongly affected by who would be available to do the recordings - and hope they will be somewhere in the middle! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, I would be really interested in this too! I’ve enjoyed Welsh and done a few of Manx and Cornish too, so I’d love to learn some Irish as well!

3 Likes

Can I just add my support for a SaySomethinginIrish. Have just finished Level 1 over the past couple of months and would really appreciate a course as good as SSiW for Irish. Being from County Down I’d have to throw my support behind a three dialect split if at all possible as Ulster Irish is really what I would like to speak.

5 Likes

There might be a fairly good argument for basing a course on just one dialect (at least to begin with). Before the loss of the language in Omeath it was to that area that the language revivalists (of Belfast) went for their Irish. This was covered in the very interesting documentary “ScĂ©al na Fadgies” a few years ago. As Omeath was a more central dialect than Donegal (the dialect Belfast learners looked to after the loss of Omeath Irish speakers) and would surely have been the historical dialect of Co Down you might find this documentary interesting (although you may well have seen it already!). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql2xYTqTZVk

4 Likes

Recordings here. The Omeath speakers come under Co Louth I think. Very interesting to listen to them as they have an Ulster ‘twang’ but nowhere near as pronounced as modern speakers from Belfast or Donegal. https://www.doegen.ie/taxonomy/term/21984

This FB page also relates to South-East Ulster Irish. Mostly in Irish but a few posts in English and links to other pages and events. https://www.facebook.com/groups/210879922306774/?ref=group_browse_new

4 Likes

I had heard that the Irish speaking population of Belfast arose from Omeath Irish speakers migrating there in the 19th Century but I hadn’t seen that documentary. I do know that there were some Native Irish speakers in remote parts of the Mourne Mountains (South county Down, near to the Cooley Peninsula) up until the middle of the 20th Century. I would say given the close geographical relationship that linguistically they would likely be similar as well. I bought the book “Ulster Gaelic Voices” several years ago and it features recordings that are taken from Doegen of speakers in County Down and possibly Louth as well. Interesting stuff.

2 Likes

Any prospect for adding Scottish Gaelic to the inventory as well? I suppose GĂ idhlig is in an even more precarious position than Gaeilge at the moment.

9 Likes

We’re very keen to do exactly that, as soon as we’ve got the software ready for the next round of beta testing - which I hope will be early next year
 :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Newyddion gwych! Pob lwc i chi ac i’r beta testing, Aran. Yn ogystal, diolch yn fawr iawn i chi am fy nysgu i Cymraeg :slight_smile:

1 Like

Croeso mawr - a llongyfarchiadau mawr ar safon dy Gymraeg! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to make that decision about which dialect to go for with this course. I would be very supportive of the 3 dialect split, but that’s so much work! Personally, i feel like the standard would be perfectly fine, but my little selfish heart wants munster more than anything. I’m working to move to cork early next year and that’s what they speak there. I also personally encounter munster irish more than the other dialects. Even so, i’ll take anything that i can get and hope that i’ll be clever enough to adjust my accent and vocabulary when i move to a munster area.

2 Likes

It’ll definitely happen - even the most dramatic of differences tend to become plain sailing after some time in the community
 :slight_smile:

I’m currently thinking that we might go firmly in the ‘multiple dialects’ route, but just treat them all as separate projects - which means it would stop being as complicated a scenario as it’s been with Welsh, and become largely a matter of making sure our navigation works fairly tidily

7 Likes

Ah! Wonderful!! I’m still so excited, i can’t wait.

3 Likes

That’s wonderful news. I’ve been interested in learning Irish for years now, and have been perfecting my Welsh for the sake of learning a Celtic language. I never thought I’d learn Welsh, but since the company is a Welsh company and has focused Welsh as it’s primary course, I didn’t doubt in learning it and here I am, I’m way ahead in the language. But Irish will always have my attention, particularly the Irish Connacht dialect, since my goal in the language is to write a novel entirely in Irish, based in Connemara. So, I look forward to the courses. Thank you Aran! :smiley:

6 Likes

Awesome goal! I’ll look forward to reading it :star: :star2:

1 Like

Will it be as black as Calvary? :wink:

2 Likes