I'm unsure about using eisiau when I want to say that I need something, rather than need to do

I’m trying to summarise my learning so far, and writing down various verbs etc…
Sa i’n
so ti’n
so fe’n
so hi’n
etc.

but I got stuck when doing Need To and Need Something
Mae eisau i fi fynd
mae eisiau i ti fynd etc,

but what is the pattern for “I need a cup of tea” ?

1 Like

If you want to use the same pattern, it’s
Mae eisiau dishgled o de arna i
You could also use the slightly more northen Dw i angen dishgled o de, and you’ll also be understood anywhere.
There usually is more than one way to express something, you could also make Mae eisiau i fi … work by adding a verb: I need to get a cup of tea – Mae eisiau i fi gael ddishgled o de. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes, as @Hendrik as explained, the pattern varies according to whether you need to do an action, or you need a thing:

Mae eisiau ‘thing’ arna i

Mae eisiau i fi ‘do something’

6 Likes

I hadn’t noticed the arna i version for things. :astonished:
But it’s going to be easy to remember :grin:

p.s. even though not so appropriate since I don’t think anyone ever needed such an ugly car :laughing:

5 Likes

That’s great, just what I needed…thanks for your help!

1 Like

It was pretty in its day.

:roll_eyes:

But @gisella-albertini we had the Austin Allegro…and the Morris, er, Ital :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Uhm…in Italy it has always been named about one of the most embarrassing talian cars ever!
While I had to Google the Ital @rich and I find it kinda nice in its own way!

P.s. sorry janhoward for the off topic!

Well…

…but Italy has produced some of the most beautiful cars ever…

image File:Morrisital.jpg - Wikipedia

Yeah, I had to Google it so I also found that it was designed by Giugiaro (and being from Torino I know well who he is).
But although obviously…uh well… not one of his best creations, I do find it kinda nice, like a funny looking animal! :grin:

2 Likes

It’s definitely quirky. I love old cars - and have had a few - and it has a place in my heart … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, this should help us remember- ARNA was an acronym for Alfa Romeo Nissan Autoveicoli. Apparently it was basically a Nissan Cherry with Alfa mechanical parts. What could possibly go wrong? :smile:

2 Likes

My BT van back in the day was a Morris Ital. They said Pininfarina designed it. I can see the likeness to a Ferrari.

1 Like

Giugiaro Italdesign, not Pininfarina. I’m in their hometown, so nobody can mess up with that here, but maybe in the UK and before the internet, car sellers used it strategically! :smiley:
Edit: Although in the Italian wiki page, they say they’re both false, by the way! :rofl:

In any case, @rich @JohnYoung I find any old car more interesting-looking that new ones that all look the same to me and even the smaller ones are unnecessarily big! :neutral_face:

But let’s use this to go back on trackand have some fun practicing Welsh:

Mae eisiau Arna arna ti
Sa i angen Arna, mae eisiau i fi fynd gyda fy Allegro i! :smiley:

p.s. since it’s an Italian word, just wondering, do you pronounce Allegro with an e like in best (like us) or like in the verb to be (like everybody there seem to pronounce the linguine pasta as well!)

2 Likes

Short e in Allegro for me. :slightly_smiling_face:
BTW - I think Paninfarina was the dedigner of the older type Italian looking British cars.

Also I found the Moniars and Elin Flur so helpful with their song Paid a cau y drws (arna hi). Admittedly for a slightly different construction.

1 Like

In fact Wikipedia says that they were only providing manufacturing advice for the new car at the time and had no design input! :open_mouth: It does seem amazing that they would be allowed to call it the Ital, if so…

…hard to know what to believe but Wikipedia is usually pretty good. :roll_eyes:

Yes I agree, modern cars seem to have lost the styling plot - they are so big and not stylish at all that they feel the need to put even more scoops and bulges in them…some of them look like there has been a horrible mix up in the factory and they have used parts from different cars :smile:

I must be getting old :roll_eyes:

Oh for some of the natural style of the cars on the list that Ital did design.

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can also say… dwi am paned (I want a cuppa (north walian)…it literally says I am for a cuppa…dwi am fynd allan…I want to go out(I am for going out) But…I am about to go out(dwi ar fynd allan) …I must go out…rhaid i mi fynd allan or rhaid fynd allan… dwi angen mynd allan (I need to go out)

1 Like

Another need word I have just come across, well, two joined together actually -
(H)angenrhaid. Although not part of the SSiW main course, Is this used in common speech?
It seemed to mean: to be compelled or called to do something. So perhaps another step along the “scale of need”. Any thoughts, please?

1 Like

Yes…angenrheidiol - necessary seems to crop up quite regularly on the news, as a word of choice in this sort of area…

1 Like