Ideas for having more Welsh conversations

Facebook popped up a post about the SSIW six months to fluency course and I promptly descended into a dispirited gloom about my own language learning adventure. I have come further than I ever dreamed possible when I started. I can say so many things. I use at least some Welsh with my 14 month old each day and can follow some plots of Sam Tân and Sali Mali. After a year of SSIW I started reading and writing which went well but now I realise I’ve stopped speaking to other people and the fear has come back. Living in Sheffield, England using Welsh in the street isn’t likely to start a conversation! Does anyone have any suggestions or challenges for ways I might get my Welsh back into the wild. I also have a week near Pothmadog planned this summer. It is with my whole English speaking family so if I want to use my Welsh and let my son hear any I will need to be really confident and probably plan ahead. Any ideas for that will also be very welcome. Diolch Hilary

1 Like

Have you joined the Welsh Speaking Practice group on Slack yet Hilary? It would be ideal for you - there are people of all levels from all over the world to speak Welsh with :smiley:

Have a look at this thread for more info and how to join:

5 Likes

I’m guessing most shops would be ok? Someone will prob update us :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Hilary,
I know there was an SSIW group meeting in Sheffield for Welsh practice but not sure if it still is - search for thread ‘Meetup in Sheffield’ top right.
You mention there not being too many folks in the street you can have a Welsh conversation with, it’s the same for me here on the Isle of Wight - but on the Slack website which Siaron mentions it’s possible to link up and have chats with a range of learners at all levels. There are hangouts you can join, but if you’re slow and need a lot of time to think like me, it’s possible to have a number of one-to-one chats. Hope to see you on there…
Alan.

2 Likes

What Siaron said - Welsh Speaking Practice. And don’t compare yourself to other people’s journeys (and also, don’t transmute ‘a genuine, conversational Welsh speaker’ into ‘fluent’ - they’re NOT the same thing!)… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Alan, I don’t think the meet up happens anymore. it was me who tried starting one a few years ago but it trailed off and I stopped trying when I was pregnant. The slack stuff is interesting though. I’m signed up and will hopefully get to play tomorrow. Hope to see you there. Hilary

4 Likes

Sorry about being so out-of-date with the meetups. The great thing about Slack is that you can talk to people anywhere in the country, and indeed in the whole world! See you there.

3 Likes

Are the Sheffield meet ups still happening??

According to the weekly email, yes.

Sheffield - 2nd Sat of the month, 1pm, Hagglers Café, Queens Rd, S2 4DU (Contact hilary_coveney )