'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I think you’re right. Our Ancestry goes deep and in my opinion we all share some of the Celtic culture, so it’s great to see the old languages being taught again.

@coen-mulder: Ook als u in echt geen Nederlands accent heeft zou het toch grappig zijn om het Welsh met een Nederlandse accent te horen. :joy: Pob Lwc!

2 Likes

I want to learn Welsh so that I know what my wife is saying about me.
When we lived in England, she used to call me a ‘twp’ and a ‘hen fenyw’!

4 Likes

Hi Coen, let me know if you will be coming near Swansea. There will be a couple of dishgleds (cuppas) waiting for you. We speak a little Welsh, but are fluent in Motorcycle touring :slight_smile: Ashamed to say that my bike has been off the road for decades now, though :frowning:

1 Like

Nice one! Just hope that SSiW can subsidise a good lawyer if needed… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love the language and it gets the brain working.

2 Likes

I like the pragmatism of this response. When I moved to Wales, I found myself considering all my English acquaintances who complain of (im)migrants who move to the UK but do not learn the language. And so, I think, it should be the same with Welsh. If one moves here, it is respectful to learn the national language.

6 Likes

Hi JohnYoung, Dw i’n hoffi coffi! That is very kind of you! If our route, yet to be determined, takes us past Swansea, I will surely contact you beforehand. By then I may have mastered a sliver of Welsh too. Chatting about bikes and touring is always a pleasure. And maybe I’ll encourage you to take up riding again. Best regards, Coen

1 Like

Hi Sandra, you are a lion! Keep up the pace and you’ll be speaking Welsh in no time, I’m sure. Kind regards, Coen

Hi Sebastian, Normally I don’t have a Dutch accent, when speaking English that is, so I expect to be fairly okay in Cymraeg too. It won’t be fluent for a long while, but I don’t think you’ll be able to tell where I’m from. I’ve had colleagues from the UK asking me when I moved to the Netherlands, because my Dutch sounded so fluent to them… :slight_smile:

Welsh is a different cup of tea, however. There are a few letters that take a bit of getting used to. My tongue is in a knot sometimes… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I want to learn Welsh because its one of the languages spoken in my country, and while its not my own mother tongue, I feel I should be able to converse in a key official language used in the UK. Its a diversity thing. I hope that by learning Welsh I’ll gain a deeper understanding of Welsh culture and be able to watch telly programmes on the download in Welsh, which would help me to see what people in other parts of the UK are interested in and talking about.

7 Likes

I have set myself 5 ‘tasks’ (my Odyssey) since retiring and surviving Cancer.
They are : Learning to speak Welsh, Learning to play the Guitar, Hiking Pen Y Fan, Walking 1000 miles in 2018/19 and seeing Manchester City in the Champions League Final (out of my hands).
Learning to speak Welsh was the first priority. It is the language of my Country and I have always been slightly ashamed that I did not speak the language. No longer, I’m on my way !

12 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker so that I can speak Welsh with my new friends I met on my first trip back to my families ancient homeland in February '17. I am returning for a month this October!

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because many of my friends and colleagues speak Welsh and I want to be able to talk to them in Welsh – and also to engage fully in the Welsh culture around Kidwelly/ Carmarthen/ Llanelli

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my short time in Wales has turned into 14 years and it’s time i took the next step in being committed to being here by learning the language of my adopted nation.

7 Likes

Real answer: I retired to Wales 4 years ago. My wife is a second language Welsh speaker. There is lots of Welsh spoken in this area. That’s why I want to be a Welsh speaker. I have joined a male voice choir - singing in Welsh and English - and a completely Welsh choir. I recently took part in the Learners’ Eisteddfod in Llandeilo and a local Eisteddfod in Myddfai.

7 Likes

I’m also looking forward to “the grand reveal”! Can’t wait to surprise people!! Pob lwc!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What you said has made me think of myself.
I am also looking forward to becoming 100% Welsh
:blush:

5 Likes

My husband and his family are 1st language Welsh and I want to understand and join in when we all get together.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker so that I’m not the odd one out in my house! :slight_smile:

11 Likes