'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I have friends and neighbours in Anglesey who will be delighted that I am making the effort to learn and speak their language

4 Likes

I want to be able to speak in Welsh to my young grandson who will be first language Welsh.
Also because I ought to!

4 Likes

Because I want to discover a part of my national identity and heritage that I’ve not yet been able to, and also to help the recent growth of the language to continue.

5 Likes

I chose to learn a language recently as I’d read that learning a new skill is beneficial to the grey cells at any age! I chose Welsh because my father was born in Barry and although he left at age 17 he always had strong emotional ties to Wales. His Grandfather came to Barry from just over the border in mid Wales, taught himself Welsh and got very involved in music in Barry. I too feel an emotional link with Wales and for the last 30 plus years have holidayed in Pembrokeshire. We were unable to visit this year because of the restrictions but I’m looking forward to speaking Welsh in Wales soon!

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because we are raising our sons bilingually and I want to be able to converse with them in our language.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to feel a part of the community in which I live.

5 Likes

Dw i isio dysgu siarad Cymraeg achos dw i isio medru siarad efo fy wŷr.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’m interested in languages, and I’d like to learn more about Celtic linguistics as well as Welsh culture. Though the details are vague, my maternal grandparents claim Welsh ancestry, which I’ve recently been able to verify to some extent now through ancestry and I’m excited to explore that heritage more deeply.

4 Likes

Wales is a fascinating place to me, and I want to understand its rich language, culture and history.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it’s a beautiful language that my late father spoke and that is part of my family history.

The one thing that will happen is that my Welsh speaking friends and I will enjoy chatting in Welsh when we meet up.

4 Likes

Dw i’n moyn siarad Cymraeg athos dwi’n moyn bwy yn Cymru. Jill 13
[I may have written a whole load of rubbish here as the laptop keeps changing my spellings]

4 Likes

Hi Susanna
I was born in Pembrokeshire and lived there until I was 22. I live in the north west of England at the moment but try to go back to Pembs once a year, but like you, could not last/this year. Next time, I hope to be able to use a bit of Welsh - although when I lived there Welsh was rarely heard. If you are ever in Broad Haven at the same time as me, we can seared Cymraeg. I am half way through Level I South Wales challenges.

4 Likes

….my grandfather was Welsh, and although he died before I was born, I have always felt an affinity with him. We were both musicians!

6 Likes

I live in Wales and want to join in the local gossip!

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my 14 day old granddaughter, who is Welsh, will be learning Welsh as she grows up and going through Welsh medium education and I want to be able to chat with her and read her stories in Welsh.

4 Likes

A fi!

Dw i isio dysgu siarad Cymraeg anchos Cymraes dw i a byddwn i’n teimlo’n rhan o fy ngwlad

4 Likes

Dw i’n moyn dysgu Cymraeg achos dw i’n moyn siarad Cymraeg gyda ffrindiau a dw i’n moyn deall Cymraeg ar S4C

3 Likes

Hi Sue thanks so much for your message. I have only just worked out how to reply!!
Which Broad Haven do you mean? For many years we visited Broadhaven beach near Bosheston lakes a beautiful beach. Latterly we have stayed at Little Haven next to Broad Haven. I love that Pembrokeshire - it doesn’t matter which way the wind is blowing you as an always find a sheltered cove. Hope we both get there sometime soon.
Good luck with Welsh - have you tried joining any groups on line yet? I did go to a Monday morning one but felt out of my depth although everyone was lovely. I will try a Q and A next as the half hour in English May give me more confidence!
Susanna

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I write novels set in medieval Wales and I want to better understand this world–and I want to be able to understand when people are talking in Welsh in Gwynedd!

6 Likes