'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I wanted to learn Welsh as I have felt a disconnect to my country and people when I travel around (with work and leisure), and want to learn and speak the language I want. And to engage fully with all my fellow Welsh population.

When I get the full ability to hold conversation fully, I want to use it at every opportunity, to see peoples happiness, proud to be Welsh and speak its language. With an extra being able to provide a better service with work.

6 Likes

I am English, living in the Midlands, but love visiting Wales. I dream of moving there one day and know that I would feel more part of the community if I could speak more Welsh.

6 Likes

Dw i’n Moyn i ddysgu cymraeg achos mae hi’n iaith gyntaf fy Nhad . Mae e,n dod o Drimsaran… a dw i’n dwli y iaith Cymraeg am byth

7 Likes

I want to learn Welsh because having moved here three years ago it helps me to appreciate and respect the culture more; also to engage with local people using the native language - even a little; and, at 75, to try something new, however imperfectly! I think some knowledge of the language where one lives helps one assimilate.

5 Likes

Same here!

1 Like

Brought up in North Wales, but neither my parents spoke Welsh, likewise myself.
On my mothers side, Edwards, her great grandad spoke only Welsh, but this unfortunately was lost in future generations.
I left Wales 45 years ago to marry, to live and to work in England, but always saw myself as Welsh and proud of it, especially during the Rugby Home Nations and World Cup and often attended the matches.
It has never left me, to feel incomplete or embarrassed, that I never took the time out to learn the language of my birth, especially at the times of attending the Rugby, Football or
Welsh Choir, be it at the grounds, church or CD’s.
I am determined to go as far as I can, having discovered the marvellous “Say something in Welsh” methods of learning and support, if I couple this by putting on the cooperation of shopkeepers and churches when visiting Wales, I should stand my best chance ever.
Looking forward to your help and support and if the “Say something in Welsh” five day training is anything to go by, (Thank you so much Aron) then the future looks bright and exciting.
Will be in touch as I progress and thank you all at SSiW so much you are amazing people !!!
Chris (Male)

5 Likes

My grandmother was forbidden the chance to speak Welsh and I think it is important that I don’t let it happen to me.

5 Likes

because I want to be able to chat away in Welsh with my cycling friends. Also I don’t want them to have to speak in English in their own country because I can’t speak Welsh.
I’m also looking forward to being able to read more in Welsh too, to be able to appreciate the beauty of the language describing the countryside.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it is the land of my birth, and I can then enjoy sharing with others through the native language

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I now live in Wales and want to respect the Welsh speaking community.

8 Likes

As part of the Week 10 tasks, I re-read my sentence after posting my practice sentence.

I still love this course a lot. We are saying things to each other in Welsh now at the house, little things when we can like “I did not understand what you said!” or “What did you say?” or “I would like water.”

It’s been a lot of fun. We just had our fourth and life is a little hectic schedule wise, but fortunately I can get my daily lessons in during the car ride taking my daughter to and from school.

6 Likes

I now live in North Wales and want to better understand the Welsh culture and local community.

6 Likes

Well done :blush:

*I want to be a Welsh speaker because I never had a chance in school in Pembs and I hope it will connect me better to Welsh culture

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh-speaker, because my grandfather never got the chance to keep it (or, rather, was so heavily discouraged from using it that he just never did by the time he was an adult). I think about what many of his generation went through with their mother-tongue and I fume.

I hope that becoming fluent will help in the pushback against the old lie that yr iaith Cymraeg is dead.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because learning Welsh might provide me a better understanding of Welsh culture. Although I grew up in Sir Benfro Welsh was not taught in school.at that time.

6 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker as its part of my heritage

6 Likes

I want to speak Welsh because my grandad was a Welsh miner but he never learnt to speak it

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love the language and want to help keep it alive. It would strengthen the bond I feel with my Welsh ancestors.

3 Likes

I was born in Wales and learned welsh in school. Then i moved away for many years. At 70 years old i am back in north wales and being a Welsh speaker is definitely on my bucket list to do.

The daily “games” seem to have triggered my memory and i am beginning to remember some of the welsh that was lost over the years.

When i become fluent i will be able to chat with my sister in welsh amd watch pobol y cwm lol

3 Likes