I didn't

Hello.

I’m confused about when to use do’n i ddim or wnes I ddim. Is there a difference or is it just personal choice?

Diolch

1 Like

I am confused about thst too

1 Like

Hi!

‘do’n i ddim’ is I wasn’t and ‘wnes i ddim’ is I didn’t :blush:

4 Likes

Diolch @CatrinLliarJones but I’m still confused. The vocabulary list for level 1 challenge 10 clearly uses do’n i ddim for I didn’t - do’n i ddim yn moyn, I didn’t want, and do’n i ddim yn gwybod bo ti’n siarad cymraeg, I didn’t know that you speak Welsh. Yet level 1 challenge 9 uses wnes i ddim deall be’ ddwedest ti, I didn’t understand what you said.

Julie

It’s a confusion that’s caused by the fact that English uses ‘didn’t’ for both things that are ‘ongoing’ and things that are ‘completed’ whereas Welsh uses ‘wasn’t’ for things that are ‘ongoing’ and ‘didn’t’ for things that are ‘completed’.

wanting and knowing are things that are ‘ongoing’, so they use do’n i ddim, but “didn’t understand what you said” is an action that is ‘complete’, so it uses nes I ddim.

You might find browsing these threads helpful too -

8 Likes

This - :arrow_up:

Diolch Siaron! :grin:

2 Likes

This comes up from time to time (i.e. it bothers a fair few people):

1 Like

Diolch @siaronjames, that has helped it become clearer for me.

Julie

2 Likes

Diolch @RichardBuck and @CatrinLliarJones also. @DiMatthews I hope this thread has helped you too.

Julie

2 Likes

Well i cant see any answers posted @julie-25
Am i missing someting?

Can you see the above @DiMatthews?

Thanks @julie-25 see ot now. But still don’t really understand it!!! Do you?

It’s slightly tricky. English and Welsh don’t match exactly.
As mentioned, above -
Generally, Wnes I is used for one-off happenings. Do’n I is used for more longterm events.
Fortunately, these often coincide with the English Did and Was, respectively, but not always.
After a while, you will be able to use the one that sounds best, as in English. However in the mean-time, just guess one. It won’t do any harm if you pick the wrong one. You’ll still be understood, and just sound like a new speaker, which isn’t the end of the world. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Di,

In Welsh you say:

I wasn’t knowing
I wasn’t thinking
I wasn’t wanting
I wasn’t needing

Rather than “didn’t know/think/want/need”.

As explained above, this is because they are seen as “ongoing” rather than “completed” events.

I hope that helps :slight_smile:

9 Likes

It does!! Gives me a rule @AnthonyCusack, thanks so much!

2 Likes

Hi @DiMatthews

This is how I understand it - if the end of the sentence is in the present tense (i.e. I didn’t know that you speak Welsh) it should be do’n i ddim at the start, and if the end of the sentence is in the past tense (i.e. I didn’t understand what you said) it should be wnes i ddim at the start. I’m not sure this is completely correct but it’s helping me to think like that for now.

Julie

3 Likes

Hi Julie - that works for the two examples you gave, but not generally: Welsh for “I didn’t know what he wanted” would be “I wasn’t knowing what he was wanting” (Do’n i ddim yn gwybod beth oedd o eisiau, using Northern forms).

The key is that they’re verbs where in the present, in English, we wouldn’t say “I am knowing what he is wanting.”

1 Like

Thanks @RichardBuck

1 Like

For a rule you cant beat the One-off (Did/wnes) v Over a period (Was/Don) rule.
I chose - Wnes i dewis.
I was enjoying - on i’n mwynhau.