I could be Losng my Mind, or perhaps just my hearing

Currently I am listening to Level 2 Challenge 24 and at around 4:36 I hear the phrase in English as 'You’d tell me she didn’t want to answer etc and then I think that speaker one is saying bodd hi ddim yn moyn and speaker two saying bod hi ddim yn moyn… Neither of these makes sense to me. Am I just mis-hearing the two responses? I would expect to hear doedd hi ddim yn moyn
So which do you think it is on my part, bad hearing or loss of mental capacity?

1 Like

The difference between the speakers saying bo and bod is nothing to worry about, just a variation in the way it’s said, but the reason you don’t hear doedd hi ddim is because in the English sentence there is an implied ‘that’ - “[that] she didn’t want to answer”, and that’s why you need the bod here rather than a doedd.

Thanks Siaron. Does this mean that there is no marker to indicate past tense versus present tense? What I am trying to understand is why the English sentence is in the past tense but the Welsh transcription seems to be in the present tense. Is it just that a listener would pick up the proper tense from the context of a conversation, perhaps?

1 Like

I’ve been tripped up by that so often. Yes, it seems where English uses the past in this kind of construction, Welsh uses the present. A confirmation of our suspicion would be great.

This thread might help explain things Rules for using present tense to show a past action - #18 by Susanne

1 Like

Thanks Siaron, I’ll definitely check it out.

1 Like