Hywel Dda Centre - Saturday 16 July 2016

Some of the Barry group are taking the train to Hendy Gwyn ar Daf (Whitland) on Saturday 16 July. It would be great to meet up with some more SSIWers on the train or at the Centre. There are around five or six of us at the moment with a a Welsh language tour of the small gardens arranged for around lunchtime. The Centre is one stop further on than Carmarthen by train.

We’d love to see you! Further details available if anyone is able to come.

1 Like

We’re up to a possible party of nine, now. We’ll be arriving by train at Whitland station at 12.39 on Saturday 16 July. It would be great if you could let me know if you’re coming so I can advise the tour guide the likely size of our party. Thanks.

I think it’s only me from the Carmarthen group. I’m looking forward to it.

I’m really looking forward to meeting you, Margaret.:relaxed:

Hen hen x 28 hen tadcu would have loved to have been there. :laughing:

He may be wondering what all the fuss is about.

Here’s the final details of the trip on Saturday. We’re taking the 11.01 from Cardiff to Whitland (Hendy Gwyn) arriving 12.39. The Hywel Dda Centre is very close to the train station, in St Mary’s Street, but we’re hoping to find a cafe or pub in St Johns Street for a brief lunch/ coffee first.

Our Welsh language tour of the Hywel Dda interpretive gardens is booked for 13.30 with tea and biscuit afterwards, cost is £4. It could take about an hour but there’s a seat in the Centre building for anyone who can’t stand that long.

The Hywel Dda Centre has a great website, for anyone who wants to read ahead to make sure the Welsh language tour is understandable. In history terms, Hywel Dda is famous for codifying laws at a date before the Norman Conquest.

We leave for home on the 15.44 Cardiff train.

Our 11.01 from Cardiff doesn’t call in at Carmarthen, but is the Fishguard train direct Llanelli to Whitland. I’ve only travelled on the Pembroke Dock train before - can anyone tell me if Llanelli to Whitland still travels along the coast via Ferryside? If not, where does it go?

I confess that I am very surprised it doesn’t call in at Carmarthen, but Carmarthen rail station is on a spur, so perhaps it doesn’t need to. I have looked and it seems I will not be able to join you on your train, but I’ll catch up with you in Whitland. I’ll probably meet your train.

The 15.44 train back does call in at Carmarthen.

I think the train does follow the coast. No other way to do it.

Thank you, Margaret. One of our party is also on an earlier train - his name is Nic, so you may meet up before we get there.

1 Like

We made it there and back! Great to meet you Margaret. Diwrnod i’r brenin, a Hywel Dda oedd brenin y dydd, heb os. The history and craftsmanship were well worth the trip even before we mention the overwhelming welcome that was provided by Ken Rees and his team. In the photo above, the three on the right are Ken and Rhodri who were our tour guides and the person in front is Ken’s wife who did the tea and biscuits for us. I am the one showing off my brand new Asda carrier bag.

1 Like